The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

The most note worthy thing was how obviously empty the building was. They used to be really good at hiding empty seats but their obsession with these massive, AR hologram graphics, all of which require a wide shot, means you can easily tell how few people are there. What’s the score with this? Do they have deals with these big arenas meaning they have to do TV there? Surely four thousand people packing out a much smaller building is preferable to more than three quarters of these huge buildings being tarped off, with empty seats everywhere?

Smaller arenas don’t have enough space backstage for all the equipment they need to put on the show.

That's the problem with these mental massive Trina but then I guess after almost 25 years of getting bigger and brighter with their set up they would be seen as doing badly if they reduced things back down. 

Also it's only one raw, not as bad as that PPV a couple of years back where they curtained off half the building. 

That said if I go to a show and the building looks half empty it would actually affect my enjoyment. If I was there I would think twice about going again if the show was quiet and half empty. It's like the raw/SD tapings can be here when they use the same venue. The SD tapings was always a little emptier, quieter and generally deflating after a fun night at raw. 

• Paid Members

There's also relationships with venues to consider - if it's somewhere you run a couple of times a year it's probably better to have an empty looking show and maintain your good relationship & deal with the venue than pull out and find yourself paying more - or not even getting your preferred date - next year when crowds are back to capacity.

Maybe because of Covid they can only let in a few thousand? Or maybe that's what they are telling Vince anyway. 

I have Raw on auto record every week so only  watch if something amazing has happened (which is rare) and occasionally would tune in live because the show is live and ANYTHING can happen, but with the fake fan noise the shows don't even feel real anymore. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Jesse said:

next year when crowds are back to capacity.

Aren't venues in the US already running full capacity crowds? This seems more like low attendance because no one wanted to attend.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Maybe because of Covid they can only let in a few thousand? Or maybe that's what they are telling Vince anyway. 

I have Raw on auto record every week so only  watch if something amazing has happened (which is rare) and occasionally would tune in live because the show is live and ANYTHING can happen, but with the fake fan noise the shows don't even feel real anymore. 

It's weird because the live aspect has historically been a plus because of the "anything can happen, we're live!" thing but when was the last time Raw felt like anything could happen? They could tape Raw a month in advance and air it as live and I'd bet nobody would notice the difference.

Dynamite, as a comparison, does have that feeling right now and I think it adds a lot to the product.

• Paid Members

Raw had it very briefly a few weeks ago in response to Punk/Danielson debuting (Big E winning the belt) but generally speaking you can predict just about every WWE result based on what's coming up PPV wise because they have phoned it in for so long. AEW has so many different interlinking stories bubbling away they could go in half a dozen directions for any one of them at once. Even when it is likely or predictable (Hangman winning the title shot) there's just enough doubt to keep us interested. 

WWE for example, have Brock Vs Reigns at Crown Jewel after which Brock isn't scheduled to appear again until the Rumble so who's wining that one? Exceptionally poor booking. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Aren't venues in the US already running full capacity crowds? This seems more like low attendance because no one wanted to attend.

Yeah, I wasn't clear enough - I meant that it's likely due to covid that crowds are likely to be down due to a combination of reticence and people's income having taken a hit, and it could still be worth it for a business to continue booking big arenas while expecting smaller crowds in general to keep that relationship going. Like EGX still running the ExCel this past week even though they didn't have the attendees/exhibitors to justify the required floorspace.