Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

Horrible news Frankie. Read very much like what happened with my missus' Dad to be honest - down to the horrific final phone call.

Posted

Frankie, that sounds horrible. Sending my thoughts to all those affected. 

Another tale of woe here I'm afraid.

One of my mates went missing about 3 weeks ago. They'd been to the pub of an evening and hadnt been seen since. The assumption was that they'd disappeared on a foreign holiday before lockdown approached as was their thing without telling everyone as they usually did. 

The reality though was that they'd gone home from the pub, got to the top of their stairs and had a massive stroke /brain haemorrhage and fallen down the stairs. 

They lived alone, and because of tier3 no one was in regular contact with them, as we were not allowed to visit. When it became clear that they weren't responding to phone messages after a few days, her best mate went round and then called the police. 

They were alive but barely. Yesterday they passed away. I cant even imagine what they went through left there or what their closer friends and family are going through as what ifs are going to haunt them for a very long time. 

They were well known around these parts, if you'd been out anywhere or were a part of the lgbt community you would definitely have known them, they got everywhere and it was a running joke that you'd be going out out somewhere in the UK and that they would turn up. More often than not they usually would. It was uncanny. Full of life, purposefully bad and excruciating jokes and made others from the community feel welcome when they were just coming out or beginning to get on the 'scene'. 

I dunno if pre Covid they would have been found any sooner and possibly could have been savedd, but fuck this shit and  fuck this year. 

I'm sick of losing friends and family. 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

We got the info the other day that we assumed was coming after a few days symptoms : Mrs’ sister and brother in law both have it. He’s got a pre existing heart condition so obviously bricking it now. As of yesterday temperatures had gone down a bit and spirits were high but still absolutely fretting.

  • Paid Members
Posted

@Frankie Crisp, that's an absolute heartbreaker, so sorry to hear that. It really brings home what an absolute bastard this virus is. 

@air_raidthat sounds pretty scary, fingers crossed and positive thoughts heading in your direction, hopefully you're all back to full health soon! 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Frankie, I am so sorry to read that, that's absolutely heart-breaking. My deepest condolences.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Fookin' 'ell Frankie, that was horrible to read. Brings the reality of COVID-19 home quite grimly.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Frankie’s post is heartbreaking. One of the hardest things I’ve read or seen during this pandemic. Can’t really add anything that others haven’t said already but my condolences. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Nice one, all. I'm honestly okay and was not as close to Pauline as my family in recent years (since her other son married my sister - long story), but I've known her for 30+ years and still saw her at social gatherings so it's really bothering me just picturing her laid up saying farewell to her immediate family and grandson through a smartphone. She was the loveliest, most faultlessly kind person I think I've ever met - and that's not just lip service because she's passed away.

I've spoken to my mate again today and he's very robotic, but is caught between grieving and worrying for his Dad who's still really unwell but refusing help (medical or personal). He's said he doesn't see the point in fighting on - that's something you would expect from someone two or three decades older who wants to 'be with' their recently deceased partner. The two lads are a mess as you'd expect.

And as many of you have said in the replies, this really brings it crashing home that behind every report, graphic or set of statistics, people dying in such a manner is happening every single day and the added distress it must bring to a death is so completely cruel and unfair.
 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through, @Frankie Crisp, and to your mate’s family obviously. Your posts have really cut me up and I don’t even want to imagine what you/they are going through.

I don’t want to take anything away from your pain but this situation is exactly what I’m petrified of - my parents are that same age, my dad had underlying health problems and he would go to pieces if anything happened to my mum.

I had to leave a WhatsApp group recently because I was sick to death of seeing these people (‘friends’) hanging out in each other’s homes and having parties, going to pubs and restaurants, going on physical dates (and booking into hotel rooms) evening sharing an AirBnB together a couple of weeks ago. It enrages me that they just don’t give a crap about anyone else. Talked about this a lot yesterday in therapy too because being in the WhatsApp group and seeing all this going on has really knocked me the last couple of weeks. They’re all a waste of space.

Edited by Monkee
Posted

Still overhearing people say "Look at all the people still out and about." Yes, mate, you're one of them.

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Still overhearing people say "Look at all the people still out and about." Yes, mate, you're one of them.

Bit like BBC’s vox pops earlier in the year: “We’ve come to the beach, and it’s disgusting the number of people that are here at the beach. Don’t they know there’s a virus?”

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...