• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been in the smaller of the two Tesco in Lincoln. Things were pretty much in stock apart from loo roll and pet food. Did see one guy at the till getting told by the checkout girl that he couldn't

I'll eventually work through all the messages but I'm safe. Thanks folks. I'm still an absolute mess but safe all the same. 

Posted Images

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

No guarantees but if you're finding a mask overwhelming in any way then I'd recommend experimenting with different types. If you haven't already tried it, you might be surprised at the difference it can make.

Absolutely Zeb, I'm trying some new cotton ones tomorrow to see if their less pull doesn't hurt as much 

• Paid Members

As I pointed out to my daughter the other day as she was twisting the strings until they were digging into her skin, the masks are a moisture barrier, they don't need to be airtight against your skin.

I've got a couple of neoprene (I think) ones that have a vertical wire going from chin to nose so that it holds a curved shape and leaves a gap under my nostrils and in front of my lips. Wearing it feels more like one of these.....

scorpion.jpg

• Paid Members

I found these to be a great addition. The add a little space between your mouth and the mask, not too much to stop it being well sealed, but enough to make a difference comfort wise. I really recommend them (not these in particular, but just as an idea of ones I bought)

4FE4943F-69E1-4173-9CA4-D7DA29CCFBBD.png

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

No guarantees but if you're finding a mask overwhelming in any way then I'd recommend experimenting with different types. If you haven't already tried it, you might be surprised at the difference it can make.

Same - my first exposure to long-term mask wearing was on a trip over to London in August, when temperatures were in the mid-30s and it was torturous having to wear one on the bus, train, in the airport, and on the flight, all adding up to a couple of hours of constant wear. 

On trying out different masks since, I've realised that the cotton masks I was using the first time were a little too tight, and being dark coloured were probably absorbing too much heat. I've picked up some nicer ones that are more comfortable, and if it starts to get too much during a long journey, I will swap to a clean mask - either between trains, or while stopping for a glass of water, or whatever. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Vamp said:

So first day back at the covid hub. Apparently track and trace is only reaching about 60-80% of the people it should be so we may end up taking that on within the next 2 weeks. 

World beating.

61% is the average of what it reaches, as you say. World beating. 

• Paid Members

How the heck do you avoid meeting other people while going about your life? 

I woke up this morning (4am) to a notification saying I've possibly been exposed to Covid while I was asleep last night (from about 9pm). I have no idea how long it takes these notifications to come through. Presumably somebody's passed within range of my Bluetooth while I was asleep, or it was while I was commuting home from work last night, on which case a lot of people have also been exposed to me. 

World leading? 

Is the idea we're supposed to turn the app off at home or suchlike? My bedroom is at the front of the flat ground floor level, anyone walking on the street outside will be in bluetooth range of my phone.

There'd be no way of automating that sort of thing though, if people were coming round your house you could be potentially exposed so it's not like the app could have "safe" locations where it wouldn't register other phones.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Is the idea we're supposed to turn the app off at home or suchlike? My bedroom is at the front of the flat ground floor level, anyone walking on the street outside will be in bluetooth range of my phone.

There'd be no way of automating that sort of thing though, if people were coming round your house you could be potentially exposed so it's not like the app could have "safe" locations where it wouldn't register other phones.

My understanding (and this may be wrong) is that it's partly based around the amount of interaction you have. The longer you spend close to someone who has it, the more likely it is you'll pick it up. If you walk past someone on the street, that's much lower risk than if you're, say, sharing a car with someone. So people walking around outside shouldn't be long enough to be picked up.