Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Still overhearing people say "Look at all the people still out and about." Yes, mate, you're one of them.

There's absolutely that element to it, but as a mate of mine pointed out during the last lockdown - of course people are out, they're not allowed anywhere else. If you can't go to the pub, the cinema, the gym, the theatre, or a restaurant, you don't have much choice but "out".

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

It's a lot more quiet now out and about. Went for a walk this morning at 5am to clear my head, got stared at and funny looks seemingly from anyone on foot

I have to ask, why were you getting stared at and funny looks? Surely those other people who are out at the time of the morning are making their way to work or whatever. Why wouldn't they just assume you're doing the same?

In all my times out walking and going back and forth during the whole lockdown/Covid carry-on I don't think I've ever had funny looks from anyone, especially as they were obviously out walking about as well!

3 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

It's my birthday so my birthday suit is in full effect 

Happy birthday mate!

When I went out for my morning walk the roads seemed as busy as normal. For me personally this doesn't really feel like lockdown v2. I mean I am a bit of a hermit so won't really miss the pubs or shops but it seems to me that the government are saying is that it's tier 2 plus closing Primark and the pubs? 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, David said:

I have to ask, why were you getting stared at and funny looks?

cow.jpg.78bacceaec1886e1d2a632f0d378d49b.jpg

"I thought I told you never to show your face round here..."

Happy Birthday, Ralphy.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

The furlough scheme has been extended to March. This doesn't bode well for December.

Is it Sunak playing "man of the people" as people round on Johnson? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Ralphy said:

It's a lot more quiet now out and about. Went for a walk this morning at 5am to clear my head, got stared at and funny looks seemingly from anyone on foot 

Has to go get shopping earlier and people are seemingly at last taking covid more seriously..shame it has taken so many deaths for it to do so

It seems that many people only take it seriously when in lockdown which is a shame

I went out every day of the previous lockdown and will go out every day of this one to do shopping and never received a single funny look. And I look like me.

• Paid Members

I'm now in the office 1 day a week in November

This makes no sense to lots of people who don't need to be on site at all and frustrating for people who need to be on site 5 days and then have a bunch of different people turning up each day to interact with them. 

The argument is we're a "front line service" but if fixing a formula in an excel file for an accountant makes me a "front line worker" I'm a dutchman. 

8 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

The furlough scheme has been extended to March. This doesn't bode well for December.

I wouldn’t look at it like that. You may well know this but just in case: the devolved nations were pushing for the same level of furlough scheme to be available if they had to lock down in the same way as England has in the future. After much humming and hawing Sunak either relented or was pressured into relenting.

With support for Scottish independence rising and a Holyrood election next year doing anything other than extend the scheme would have been a real middle finger to Scotland and damage the already fragile union even further.