Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Bill Gates is a nob, but anyone who's used Internet Explorer and still thinks he'd be able to electronically control minds with a vaccine is fucking mental. 

Is he? I know he was a dick in his professional life at Microsoft but I got the impression that the work the Gates Foundation is doing is very much on the level. Is that not the case?

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Is he? I know he was a dick in his professional life at Microsoft but I got the impression that the work the Gates Foundation is doing is very much on the level. Is that not the case?

He's an arch-capitalist multi-billionaire who engaged in legal-but-underhand practices to make his fortune. I'm not calling him a cunt or a bastard or the worst human being ever, mainly because his foundation is, as you say, on the level, but it does uphold corporatist, capitalist systems - he's just a nob. He's better than Jeff Bezos and Donald Trump, who are cunts.

EDIT: Without taking this thread too far into tangential political discussion, I'll just say this. By my lights, Bill Gates is a nob. He's a philanthropist, but all within a global corporatist, capitalist framework that at best does little more than treat the symptoms, rather than the causes, of inequities and injustices which said framework gives rise to. At worst, he helps perpetuate that system, which leads to the same outcomes anyway.

Edited by Carbomb

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Bill Gates Foundation just have an article out in favor of child labor in Africa linked to it?

I'm not sure if that's quite correct. I think, and admit to not having read it, it was more an incredibly tone deaf headline/article in The Guardian on behalf of the foundation, rather than being in favour of child labour.

Can't find it though, so looks like it has been pulled. Edit: Wrong, here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/06/child-labour-doesnt-have-to-be-exploitation-it-gave-me-life-skills

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Got a notification whilst I was at school that I had been in contact with someone and have to self-isolate for 7 days. No idea if it's pinged from being near a kid (we've had a lot of positive cases recently), or if it's from being out somewhere, but everywhere I've checked in, my fiancee has also been, and she hasn't had a notification. It doesn't really make any sense. 

11 minutes ago, Factotum said:

While any vaccination wont be mandatory I assume that you may have to have some sort of record or pass to say you've had it if you want to travel, go into work, attend various events etc.?

Maybe for certain functions, but I can't see it happening for the most part with general travel, going to see a show etc. Even in these unprecedented times it will be viewed by many as too much of an overstep. There's also the argument that if the vaccine is that widely available eventually, then you should immunize yourself if you're worried about getting it from the pub or even getting it from somebody who was at the pub.

With lockdown a lot of this stuff was seen as changing your lifestyle/stop being so bloody selfish so that you don't become a carrier. Once the vaccine becomes easily obtainable by choice, surely that responsibility shifts firmly to whoever's sufficiently worried to get the shot. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Factotum said:

While any vaccination wont be mandatory I assume that you may have to have some sort of record or pass to say you've had it if you want to travel, go into work, attend various events etc.?

Go to work is an odd one. Without a legal requirement to have it a company can't turn around and state it's a must without some solid justification for why (beyond the obvious public health point) or someone's going to kick off and drag it into a court.

• Paid Members

Ffs my sons special needs school just phoned and they have confirmed covid in his class. 

Only 6 kids in there but I can’t get him tested as he won’t tolerate the swab. So he’s off for two weeks. Fucking awful waiting game now. 

My work are getting me tested Thursday. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Shit man, that’s horrible. Hope you all come through ok. Didn’t consider what it’s like for people who can’t have the test. 

I know we have our political differences and have clashed more than a few times but you posting that means a lot cheers. 

The head teacher is hitting the no tests with all the kids in the class. Obviously I can’t distance from him due to care needs. The teachers would have been in direct contact with the infected child carrying out personal care. 

I have moderate asthma and I’d be lying if I said I’m not concerned. Hopefully he’s dodged it. 

On 11/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, Factotum said:

Wouldn't that make it mandatory in all but name then? "Yeah Andy, you absolutely don't need to take the vaccine. Not at all. But just remember that you won't be able to come to work, attend any events, or travel overseas."

That's basically everything people do to live their lives.

• Paid Members
On 11/10/2020 at 7:06 PM, quote the raven said:

Ffs my sons special needs school just phoned and they have confirmed covid in his class. 

Only 6 kids in there but I can’t get him tested as he won’t tolerate the swab. So he’s off for two weeks. Fucking awful waiting game now. 

I've had this twice since September (but no Covid) and she won't be tested either. I can't complain too much as she was given a school place all through the first lockdown and had no absences in that time but it's still a pain in the arse for her.

Edited by Devon Malcolm