Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Can we choose who you have to fight SB? I suggest a nominations thread and and then a poll of the top 3 nominations. 

Just as long as people realise it is not just a case of who you want to punch in the face, but who you can punch in the face and will be top priority at getting a dose. I will be way down on the list of getting a vaccine, high on the list of people wanting to punch me in the face.

Sorry if this sounds a bit soppy but I'm 36, overweight entirely through my own lifestyle choices and I don't care if I have to wait 18 months for a shot of vaccine as long as NHS/Care home staff get it first along with / followed by the over 70's

I may be naive but surely as soon as some people get a vaccine the chances of anyone getting it comes down, even if only by a tiny bit

22 minutes ago, Pogue said:

Sorry if this sounds a bit soppy but I'm 36, overweight entirely through my own lifestyle choices and I don't care if I have to wait 18 months for a shot of vaccine as long as NHS/Care home staff get it first along with / followed by the over 70's

I may be naive but surely as soon as some people get a vaccine the chances of anyone getting it comes down, even if only by a tiny bit

Yeah. I’ve had tuberculosis twice and get on the priority list for flu jabs and anything lung related but I’m the same, I can put up with wearing a mask for when I’m shopping. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Pogue said:

Dont count on NHS/Care staff taking it. In the last few minutes two of the people i work with have come out and said they wont have it as its not been tested enough.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Pogue said:

I guess that's the plan. The people at risk get the vaccine and everyone else either gets it then recovers and herd immunity spreads (if that herd immunity stuff actually works).

• Paid Members

Just what are people's objection to a vaccine for Covid-19? I'm reading stuff about Bill Gates wanting to control the world as some sort of fantastical puppet master. 

With the way this Government has handled things over this bizarre period. I've got zero faith in them being able to secure an effective vaccine nor be able to get it out to those that need it. How do they propose to get those that think it's some sort of control device to take it? 

• Paid Members

People are scared vaccines will input a tracking device into their bloodstream so big tech companies will be able to know where they are at all times. They post and share articles about it from their mobile phones, which have tracking devices in them and shares their location and personal data with big tech companies at all times. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

more plausibly, there are concerns that vaccines might be rushed out quicker than they ordinarily would be, therefore potentially bypassing parts of the testing process, and the checks and balances therein, so might have unforeseen side effects or negative effects further down the line. This vaccine in particular, from what I understand, is an RNA vaccine, and none of that kind of vaccine are currently approved, so it's not always "VACCINES BAD" so much as concerns about the process.

• Paid Members

My concern re a vaccine is just how quickly they’ve come up with it and what if any, the long term effects may be?  

I’m showing my ignorance here and would love nothing more than to have it refuted, buT aren’t vaccines, like the ones our kids have for example, tested over extensive periods of time?  And isn’t that in part to understand the longer term implications?  Is there a risk of another thalidomide scenario?

Reading that back, I’m coming off awfully anti-vaxxer, tin foil hat prick, which couldn’t be further from the case - but that’s because I know the jabs my kids are getting today are practically bulletproof and were tested rigorously over time.  

One they’ve come up with in less than 8 months?  Someone please tell me how that will be fine?

30 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

My concern re a vaccine is just how quickly they’ve come up with it and what if any, the long term effects may be?  

I’m showing my ignorance here and would love nothing more than to have it refuted, buT aren’t vaccines, like the ones our kids have for example, tested over extensive periods of time?  And isn’t that in part to understand the longer term implications?  Is there a risk of another thalidomide scenario?

Reading that back, I’m coming off awfully anti-vaxxer, tin foil hat prick, which couldn’t be further from the case - but that’s because I know the jabs my kids are getting today are practically bulletproof and were tested rigorously over time.  

One they’ve come up with in less than 8 months?  Someone please tell me how that will be fine?

Yes, they are tested over a longer period of time, I saw an interesting article on the BBC that indicated that a vaccine would normally take about 10 years to go through processes of testing, assurance, governance, production, further governance and sign off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54027269

Edited by stewdogg
Link to article added