Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

5 minutes ago, Vamp said:

People can't enter library buildings to look at or collect books.

They can enter library buildings to go to support groups, for childcare or to use computers. 

Its possible that people might not be able to apply for jobs at job centres but will be able to at libraries. 

it sounds like that’ll be the case.  Jobcentres haven’t opened enough for people to apply for jobs on the computers, there may be some exceptions for big offices but in general the computers can only be used by vulnerable customers in exceptional circumstances- to make claims, complete mandatory UC changes etc.  Our office is average size & we can only have 2 customers in at anytime so we can’t have people using computers for long periods because it’ll mean other people can’t come in for appointments 

On 3/2/2020 at 9:32 PM, CavemanLynn said:

One of the dopier regs they've declared is that, if you have cold symptoms, you can't come within ten feet of a colleague.

I personally fancy getting it, just because I've never had a proper TKO flu before.

Despite the media hysterics, I do see this as a gone-by-Spring pint-of-Lemsip-down-the-Winchester situation.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:10 AM, Undefeated Steak said:

I think it'll be like any other outbreak. Mass panic at first, infected numbers charts shooting up at an alarming rate, but a vaccination or whatever found before it gets too out of control. 

Reading back through the first couple of pages of this thread is very funny in hindsight. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

I'm really fearing a lockdown extension until the new year. I do not think 4 weeks will really do much at all. 

If so I fear even more so for the future of small businesses. 

A gym I used to go to is getting  £1300 for the lockdown but they need much, much more than that to even be at break even

They'll just block any information over Christmas to try and encourage a massive run on sales and stores. 

• Awards Moderator

One of my best mates lost his Mum to Covid yesterday and his Dad’s in a really bad way with it (and has all but thrown the towel in since his missus passed).

She was only 63 and got the positive test last Wednesday. Admitted to hospital on Thursday after feeling really bad but was sat up talking on Friday on a bit of oxygen rather than any kind of ventilator. Everyone assumed she would be fine but late Sunday, her two lads were told she’d taken a nosedive and was being placed on end of life care. They weren’t allowed to visit at that time.

She made it through the night so both of them were allowed to go in and see her, but were given the task of deciding whether to turn the oxygen off as her organs were starting to fail. 

Spoke to him shortly after she passed away and he was in bits; not just losing his Mum so suddenly, but having to pass her a phone so her husband of 43 years could say goodbye on a FaceTime call, as he was too unwell to do it in person. She did the same with my nephew - who’s seven - so it’s absolutely fucking floored him, seeing that on top of her take her last breath.

Just been with my Ma who’s really cut up as they were only with Pauline a week and a bit ago (my mate’s brother is married to my sister, so they were close). They were talking about how her husband was retiring next month so they could spend a long retirement together, and now they’re having to decide who can go to the funeral and who misses out. Five days and their lives have been ripped apart.

I know there are plenty of people who’ve got similar experiences but honestly, hearing my mate completely break down on the phone after going through that has bothered all of us. That’s going to haunt him and his brother forever and he can’t even grieve properly as his Dad’s still on the ropes. 

This thing is fucking ruthless when it gets a grip.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

One of my best mates lost his Mum to Covid yesterday and his Dad’s in a really bad way with it (and has all but thrown the towel in since his missus passed).

She was only 63 and got the positive test last Wednesday. Admitted to hospital on Thursday after feeling really bad but was sat up talking on Friday on a bit of oxygen rather than any kind of ventilator. Everyone assumed she would be fine but late Sunday, her two lads were told she’d taken a nosedive and was being placed on end of life care. They weren’t allowed to visit at that time.

She made it through the night so both of them were allowed to go in and see her, but were given the task of deciding whether to turn the oxygen off as her organs were starting to fail. 

Spoke to him shortly after she passed away and he was in bits; not just losing his Mum so suddenly, but having to pass her a phone so her husband of 43 years could say goodbye on a FaceTime call, as he was too unwell to do it in person. She did the same with my nephew - who’s seven - so it’s absolutely fucking floored him, seeing that on top of her take her last breath.

Just been with my Ma who’s really cut up as they were only with Pauline a week and a bit ago (my mate’s brother is married to my sister, so they were close). They were talking about how her husband was retiring next month so they could spend a long retirement together, and now they’re having to decide who can go to the funeral and who misses out. Five days and their lives have been ripped apart.

I know there are plenty of people who’ve got similar experiences but honestly, hearing my mate completely break down on the phone after going through that has bothered all of us. That’s going to haunt him and his brother forever and he can’t even grieve properly as his Dad’s still on the ropes. 

This thing is fucking ruthless when it gets a grip.

This made me well up Frankie. So sorry for all concerned. 

• Paid Members

So sorry to read that Frankie, that's horrible. Like Chest said, it's shook me up a bit too, a brutal reminder that we can't allow ourselves to become complacent with this virus. My parents are exactly that age, it's terrifying to think about just how quickly people's worlds can be ripped to pieces. 

• Paid Members

Echo the thoughts of the folks above, I'm really sorry to hear that. Devastating reminder that for all the grandstanding, finger pointing and disinformation playing out in our elected parliament, there are truly harrowing consequences for us if the disease takes hold. A fair number of people think it's not that serious until it is and that's the really scary concept for me - just how quickly things can change in no time at  all. Always hits harder when closer to home too. Hope that all concerned and yourself get through it. 

That's awful Frankie, I'm so sorry for you all. I can only imagine how tough it is for you all, as others have said, I feel quite shook up just from reading it.

Makes me so angry at people who don't take it seriously. My aunt lives with her son and daughter in law. They were both diagnosed with Covid at the end of last week and are both ill and in bed. As someone who lives with them, she should be isolating but has carried on going to work because 'she feels fine'. Its absolutely fucking mind boggling that people aren't getting this yet. Complete selfish twat.