Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

16 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I'll eventually work through all the messages but I'm safe. Thanks folks. I'm still an absolute mess but safe all the same. 

Glad to hear it dude, and look things could be a lot worse.

You could be trying to use the fucking Magna Carta to get round the lockdown restrictions.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I'll eventually work through all the messages but I'm safe. Thanks folks. I'm still an absolute mess but safe all the same. 

That's good to hear. Take your time getting through the messages and what not. The physical exhaustion that follows these tense and uncertain episodes can take a few days to recover from. Rest up, make sure you attempt to get a bit of a routine in place, even if it's just getting up, washing your face or brushing your teeth but take the time to build your strength back. 

• Paid Members

My entire life the last 2 weeks has been dealing with voices in my head I cant get rid of and now everyone is telling me I'll be okay and get the support I need, how do I believe that? How do I believe that after feeling let down time and time again people will finally help when I can't fight anymore?the voices are probably right 

22 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

My entire life the last 2 weeks has been dealing with voices in my head I cant get rid of and now everyone is telling me I'll be okay and get the support I need, how do I believe that? How do I believe that after feeling let down time and time again people will finally help when I can't fight anymore?the voices are probably right 

The voices are liars and they are playing on your lack of self worth. Tell them to fuck off. 

The voices are like a Russian disinformation campaign trying to sow doubt and distrust in yourself, and screaming "fake news!" at anything that contradicts them.

At the end of the day they're not real - you know that, and it probably sounds patronising to hear it pointed out. But they're the result of a chemical imbalance in your brain that can only be tackled with expert help, not by trying to debate the pros and cons of their internalised arguments. They're not valid, they don't have a point, they're just saying whatever your subconscious mind knows will bring you down. Don't credit any of it as being a rational criticism of who you really are.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I don't know the particulars of your situation regarding help you've sought (and not got previously) but I don't believe the outpouring of support and offers of help from members on here is disingenuous. Some sent you DMs, some sent you their contact number, some have experience of losing the will to fight and understand what feelings you're going through. 

It is of course entirely your decision whether or not you pursue/accept any of the offers but this is a really good place with stand up people. I'd like the think that between us all we'd do our best to not let you down. It's a leap of faith, yes, but you need to give people the opportunity to earn your trust. 

Again, I don't know the specifics and you've probably been made aware already but if you're in employment you should be able to book up to 6 free cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) sessions through your employee assistance/occupational health provider. During the course of treatment if deemed severe enough, they can recommend more intensive sessions with the agreement from your employer. I know it's clichéd but talking helps and if you've been down this road before and not gotten anything out of it we need to get you in touch with someone that can. I saw a text message service someone posted where a qualified therapist/counsellor will call you back. It gets the ball rolling.

If possible make a list of how you're feeling, why (triggers and such like) and your expectations to share with us, close friend or medical professional. You reached out by posting on here last night and we're all thankful and glad that you did. You asked the forum for help and loads of people stood up. You need to tell us 1) what it is you want and 2) what it is you need at the moment. That'll allow us, or your GP or a counsellor to determine a safe, appropriate course of action. It'll also determine the extent to which we can in fact help. Agreed outcomes mitigates the risk of disappointment.

As mentioned above, voices may be the result of a chemical imbalance owing to a traumatic past event. Meds can address imbalances to an extent but need 6-8 weeks to work. Thinking about and planning goals for small segments at a time to cover this period (first 2 hours, half day etc) can help you build up your strength while the meds correct the imbalance. Small, trivial successes are still a success and demonstrate that you are of value and capable. Positive reinforcement of achievements plays a part in the overall picture.

Do give some consideration to the numerous voices and suggestions made on here though. You don't have a complete picture yet - to use a courtroom analogy you have only heard the evidence presented by the prosecution (yourself/voices). Take into account the UKFF (defence) input also.

Take care.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Jesus. That is a very scary thing to proffer given the wronguns we have!  

I know, but from my years lurking and my years active on UKFF I do believe that the good majority comes out* when required, no questions asked. Any roasters at a fragile moment like this would be sorted right out. I'm not the most active member here but I have seen good stuff when good stuff is needed.

*No doubt jinxed for some numpties offering terrible advice*

20 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Hi. It sounds like you have been in immense pain and suffering and it makes sense that you could feel things wonnt get better. 

I am curious about who has let you down in the past? You can msg me if you like. Just looking at how you can move forward when feeling terrible.. 

Edited by Michael_3165

20 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I'm doing slightly better today, mainly being able to sleep and a few close friends knowing what's going on and making sure I get myself some much needed support is probably helping ease my brain. 

It's all about small steps. Try not to overwhelm yourself with too much at once, and take it one day at a time. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I'm doing slightly better today, mainly being able to sleep and a few close friends knowing what's going on and making sure I get myself some much needed support is probably helping ease my brain. 

This is a really positive start here and it's good to know that you and your close friends are putting together a support network and things in place for you.

If things deteriorate in the future and your brain becomes cloudy for any reason put up another post here. It's a difficult process to go through and doesn't resolve itself overnight but hopefully the number of members that reached out can and will be of some comfort if required. 

Take care and stay safe SD.

People can't enter library buildings to look at or collect books.

They can enter library buildings to go to support groups, for childcare or to use computers. 

Its possible that people might not be able to apply for jobs at job centres but will be able to at libraries.