Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

me and my wife are getting Archie our son into baking, So we're gonna spend the entire month baking and zooming with her parents in Zimbabawe, Come on chums, its time to be jolly

Glad you're keeping busy with the month in lockdown as you won't be posting on here during that time.

Has it been considered to set up some kind of Covid compliance regulator? I know, Big Government, blah blah, but rather than a blanket lockdown putting millions of jobs at more risk all over again, should businesses not be able to seek authorisation to remain open by fulfilling safety criteria? An earlier poster cited a stat that 2-3% of infections involved the restaurant industry, and although that's obviously not the zero % you'd like, I know many local restaurants around my way had invested a lot over the last few months in protective booths, limited seating, booking systems, door security etc to ensure compliance. Not all of them did this, sure, and as much as you can limit things, there are always the odd punters who ignore advice/instructions. But surely something like this, maintained at local level, is both economically and politically preferable to another month+ of selectively pumping money into party-friendly council regions?

4 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Has it been considered to set up some kind of Covid compliance regulator? I know, Big Government, blah blah, but rather than a blanket lockdown putting millions of jobs at more risk all over again, should businesses not be able to seek authorisation to remain open by fulfilling safety criteria? An earlier poster cited a stat that 2-3% of infections involved the restaurant industry, and although that's obviously not the zero % you'd like, I know many local restaurants around my way had invested a lot over the last few months in protective booths, limited seating, booking systems, door security etc to ensure compliance. Not all of them did this, sure, and as much as you can limit things, there are always the odd punters who ignore advice/instructions. But surely something like this, maintained at local level, is both economically and politically preferable to another month+ of selectively pumping money into party-friendly council regions?

Can sort of see your point, but IMO there is no way that something like that would work effectively. There would be too many variables involved.

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Can sort of see your point, but IMO there is no way that something like that would work effectively. There would be too many variables involved.

I don't doubt it, as well as the fact that any system like this would need to update and potentially recertify hundreds of businesses based on the latest advice as we learn more about the virus. Then again, any assessment would be mostly based on the three measures - surface cleanliness, masking, and physical distancing - which have remained pretty consistent throughout lockdown.

6 months on, it seems bonkers to me that we still don't seem any more prepared. We could be in this for years, and we can't keep switching industries on and off - that's only going to further stretch businesses and employees, and undo much of the good work many have done to make themselves sustainable.

Instead of trying to develop and build a culture that can cope with this, it's a frustratingly all-or-nothing approach. There's been no review or redoubled effort in testing, the app isn't fit for purpose, and the government's only solution seems to be to empty money into the top end and hope the status quo can cling on til this passes who knows when. It's shortsighted, unnecessary, passive and defeatist.

6 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Is it silly of me to feel like I will have a target on my head once lockdown starts? 

I know we can excercise but every time during the previous one iwas very anxious and on edge, even paranoid about going out walking and during my walks

I hear you on that one. My anxiety always seems to take the form of doing the wrong thing (and undefineable catastrophic consequences of doing that), so existing in a time where there are a lot more genuine wrong things to do (and an emphasis on "staying inside") definitely makes it easier to retreat and makes being out and about less pleasant. As much as rational analysis and discussion of the fact "it's fine, you're allowed to do this" has the right intent I can't say it ever sorted my anxious brain.  However (captain obvious advise incoming) I did find that doing the thing that made me anxious helped, the only way I could get my brain to rewire it's expectations of terrible scenarios was to do the thing, endure the anxiety and i'd find once I got back in I'd feel a little better about doing it again in the near future. Also paying attention to how generally rubbish i'd feel if I didn't go outside

Acting how I want to feel definitely works for me in those sort of situations too. Smiling a lot, forcing myself to walk without rush and look/enjoy the things I'm seeing. Even maybe adopting a slight "walk to the ring" posture/movement. Not necessarily trying to convince others or worrying about that as much as I've found (for me) it's not always brain dictates behaviour, body language can push the brain too - if that makes sense?

Anyways, yeah it's not silly to feel like that but I hope you can find ways to try and mitigate it!