Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
39 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

What is a strike down and what's a foul?

I'd assume a strikedown is a strike that knocks an opponent to the ground, like a big punch, or a super kick. Not sure if it'll include clotheslines, but if I was counting, I'd include them.

A foul? I'd guess at any time a team is admonished by the referee.

This is the kind of stats I was hoping AEW would put forward, and I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread. There's something very real about seeing how many strikes or takedowns were performed by a certain wrestler, and how that helped them to win matches, and then tally that up with the defensive side of things from their next opponent, like a Tale of the Tape on steroids. 

Posted
31 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Just seen Dynamite is currently being shown on ITV1, wasn’t expecting it to make it to the main channel at all. 

It's been on main ITV at this time for the past 3 weeks

Posted
13 hours ago, garynysmon said:

So AEW's "huge announcement" was a show in Jacksonville Florida?

Fuck right off. The hypocritical IWC slaughtered Dixie Carter for shit like that.


Have they employed the bloke who does Leeds United's twitter or something?

2mAVwKD.jpg

  • Paid Members
Posted

Win/loss records will become detrimental pretty quickly, unless they split into "seasons" and reset them at a certain time of year.

Say someone is booked as a jobber for three years, but then starts going on a winning streak. Saying, "he has a twenty match winning streak!" is impressive, but "he has 20 wins, but 80 losses" actually makes him look considerably worse than he's being booked, because the W/L record is presented without broader context.

  • Paid Members
Posted
15 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

It is a bit different from TNA’s huge announcements, which would be advertised on TV for weeks and built up as former world champions before Al Snow being the big reveal.

 

Once upon a time TNA would hype an announcement, only for that announcement to be that there's going to be another announcement. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Just watching last weekends Bellator card, The Inner Circle members were interviewed during the prelim portion about Hager's fight. I had to watch through my fingers, just an utter cringe-fest that concluded with Ortiz saying he might jump the cage and stab Hager's opponent! Its tough being a pro wrestling fan sometimes.

Edited by Egg Shen
  • Paid Members
Posted

As much as the cross-pollination of MMA and pro-wrestling is something that fascinates me, it really should be a one-way street. Furthering wrestling angles on MMA shows always looks corny as hell.

They're risking a lot by hedging Hager's credibility on his MMA record anyway. They keep putting him over as an unbeatable monster in the MMA world, but what happens when he gets knocked out in the first round, or taps out? It's such a risk to present one of your wrestlers as unbeatable based on their MMA record, when that record is completely out of your control. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

As much as the cross-pollination of MMA and pro-wrestling is something that fascinates me, it really should be a one-way street. Furthering wrestling angles on MMA shows always looks corny as hell.

Its not as bad these days, but there was a point when the pro wrestling journalists were all covering MMA like Wrestling and UFC were one and the same.

Personally I have no interest in MMA and most MMA fans I know hate wrestling. No idea where this presumption has come from that both share the same fanbase.

(Actually I do, Meltzer likes MMA so wanted to shoehorn it into his newsletter and radio shows).

Edited by garynysmon
  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Its not as bad these days, but there was a point when the pro wrestling journalists were all covering MMA like Wrestling and UFC were one and the same.

Personally I have no interest in MMA and most MMA fans I know hate wrestling. No idea where this presumption has come from that both share the same fanbase.

(Actually I do, Meltzer likes MMA so wanted to shoehorn it into his newsletter and radio shows).

This actually says an awful lot about how 'pro wrestling journalism' worked for a long time. Most were just copying stuff from Meltzer. So if he put it in, it turned up there too.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...