The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

No! That’s WWE style holding the good workers down. Haven’t you seen how much better [ex-WWE name] is without Vince holding him/her down???

Seth Rollins would still be a Tyler Black-level worker if he was still allowed to do three suicide dives a match.

If you put it that way I retract my suggestion. Everybody should be in their kick pads and pleather hotpants busting out high spots for 20 minutes like they're playing a videogame. Push the cruiserweights, you're not my real dad etc. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

So now that we're a month in I think it's been long enough to call it. That, "sports-orientated presentation," they were banging on about just meant far too much wrestling, not enough promos and mostly unimpressive win/loss records displayed during entrances. "Here's Kenny Omega, best wrestler in the world...fives wins and three losses." Yeah, alright.

I'm not disappointment because I never expected much else and always assumed it was just a dog whistle for newsletter subscribers, but yesterday I stumbled across some maniac on Twitter who's been keeping statistics on every AEW match and particularly liked the UFC-style post-match graphics he'd made.

https://sportofprowrestling.com/aew/

image.thumb.png.af306d14cd2dffd90efb0f841a155169.png

I thought it'd be quite cool if they displayed something similar in real-time on Dynamite. If nothing else, it'd be a fun in-joke to see who breaks the record for dives.

Similarly, thinking about a UFC-style approach, Dynamite would be improved massively if Tony Schaivone acted as Joe Rogan and interviewed the winners of every match. So far, the only time Schiavone's been sent to the ring or the ramp is for them to be immediately interrupted by some type of angle, which is a shame. The whole show would benefit if he came down and everyone got a minute or two to throw out a new challenge or just show a bit of character.

The WWE style does hold certain workers down, but it also brings out the best in others. Moxely And Punk for instance were driven crazy by how WWE is operated, but it works great for guys like Styles and Cena.

It is as if different creative environments suit people differently, which must be mind blowing for guys like Pictas who just want to over simplify everything into Daddy issues. 

As far as the win-loss records go, I think an easy solution is to limit it to the last 15 matches. That will stop the numbers going crazy for guys there multiple years and not blemish a main eventer who had to work his way up the rankings. Seeking redemption is a great wrestling storyline, so there should be a way for guys to clear their slate of loses by winning more matches 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

They'll abandon the win loss records in about 2 months when it gets ridiculous. I hoped they had the sense to realise that it can never work if you've got guys wrestling every week but they don't. That was hammered home last week when that moron Excalibar said during the opener that Private Party might struggle because they had a week off last week. When they talked up a "sports presentation", I thought they'd take inspiration from Boxing or UFC, not non-league football. 

• Paid Members

I'd use the win loss records to build to a season finale or big ppv every year. Then wipe the slate at the show after it. It would give talent something to talk about both before and after then end of the season and actually make the records mean something.

7 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

So AEW's "huge announcement" was a show in Jacksonville Florida?

Fuck right off. The hypocritical IWC slaughtered Dixie Carter for shit like that.

And AEW got slaughtered for it forcing the fella in charge of their social media accounts to come out and apologise 

12 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

So AEW's "huge announcement" was a show in Jacksonville Florida?

Fuck right off. The hypocritical IWC slaughtered Dixie Carter for shit like that.

It is a bit different from TNA’s huge announcements, which would be advertised on TV for weeks and built up as former world champions before Al Snow being the big reveal.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

What's the deal with their social media? I looked at their instagram once (it was blue ticked)and it was all stuff like "Mondays be like" and then a gif someone hitting the guardrail really hard or something. All the comments were just people saying how shit it was. You'd think they'd have that a bit more together. 

Edited by gmoney

I think most would agree theres not enough dives on the shows. In that Janela and Omega match I only think one, and Mox vs Pac only a few. We all saw how crazy the crowd got for those twenty or so in the Private Party matches. Overall, this is going to convince people to tune in. Also, we see a lot of bumps on the apron because they create such great impact, we know this as Twitter is always buzzing with these gifs after every Dynamite. The more of these the better.

Another win is getting more near falls. When a wrestler performs his signature move, theres no suspense if the guy who got dropped on his head's not going to kick out. That's three seconds of lost TV, which could be space for another cool spot. Deffo get some blinders going with two or three One Winged Angels to secure the pin. Everybody loves those moves, so why not have more of them.