The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

18 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Excellent show, save for Omega's batshit embarrassing entrance. Khan needs to have a word and wind him in.

I concur.

I don't know why, because I'm a gamer myself, but I just don't want to know when my wrestlers come out down the ramp that when they get backstage after the match there's nothing more they can't wait to do than have some sodas and crack into some Nintendo Switch with their pals. It's one of those odd sense of immersion nitpicks we tend to get about a medium that has an undead wizard amongst its most vaunted performers.

I get that we're pass the era of all the boys going to strip bars, I'm not a smash it Nash m8! kinda guy either, but for some reason I'm going to keep pretending that wrestlers definitely don't play video games. 

I admit this is a total nitpick issue, and I'm the sillier for it. As Pat said, the demographic are mad for it. 

• Paid Members

I was ready to wait and see on Omega. Thought some people jumped on him too quickly. He's been working in NJPW, he's unknown to the US mainstream and they needed time to establish who who and what he is to the people watching. I waited and waited and waited. I'm still waiting.

I don't mind if he's a video game nerd and he likes to dress up. The 8-bit graphics are retro-cool and the costumes are fun. It's fine. But why is he doing it? And why is he a top guy for whom losing to Jericho and Pac is a shock, and not some no-mark cosplayer? I know he's got a barbed wire sweeping brush because he's the cleaner. Why is he the cleaner? What does that mean?

They've done nothing to tell us who Omega is on the main shows. Don't get me wrong, we know he's a big deal. The commentators deserve a load of credit for making sure we know he's a big deal and he's knocking about with the Elite so you can pick up on the fact that he's a big deal but honestly, they're getting by on the fact that we all know he was the top lad in New Japan and had twelve star matches every night. They've taken that for granted. The commentary has helped them get away with it, which it should do, but at some point, they have to tell us why we're supposed to love this guy.

I feel Omega should have had the 'special attraction' treatment on AEW. He is capable of a cracking promo, and I loved the cocky Kenny in NJPW. He's just...goofy in this. Maybe it'll change, but this currently feels like a story that is meandering. Mox on top form

• Paid Members

I work in the games industry and spend a crusty virgin’s amount of time watching pro-wrestling. I should absolutely be in the Venn diagram of people who get and appreciate Kenny’s costume, but even I had no idea. Maybe it’s an age thing. I have seen it get a bit of press in games media though, so there’s obviously something to it, but yeah. There’s potential in crossovers and cute references but it’s years down the line when you’re established first. I actually think they’ve improved in terms of at least stopping with this anti-Cena booking and actually letting Kenny win clean a lot more, but he’s obviously still a danger to himself, trying to be the king of niche when he’s supposed to be a top star in a mainstream, national company.

I can’t say much that hasn’t already been said. Fair play to them. They’re listening and they’re adapting. This felt like the perfect balance of in-ring action and offbeat shenanigans. When they hit that sweet spot, it’s like Nitro at its best. Every angle delivered, all the matches were entertaining and had a purpose, and Moxley’s promo was a complete home run. Fucking mind blowing that it took them this long to throw a live mic his way. 

Minor complaints are that I wish LAX had beaten up the Young Bucks before taking the masks off. It would’ve been far more impactful. As it was, the Bucks looked a bit stupid getting beaten up after the reveal. Surprised that slipped through the net with Jericho around, considering he’s the king of these masked angles.

Jim Ross continues to grate, too. His arsey tone undermines half the show and I’m at a complete loss as to what he’s even going on about whenever he shouts “he’s cut holes in this pockets!” about Orange Cassidy. What is that even supposed to mean? Is it a joke I don’t get?

The most interesting thing was Tony, “I’ll never be a TV character,” Khan already turning into a Powers That Be figure. Didn’t take him long, did it? That Unsanctioned thing could’ve been achieved just as easily without him being involved so it’s clear he’s another one who can’t help himself.  

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Jim Ross continues to grate, too. His arsey tone undermines half the show and I’m at a complete loss as to what he’s even going on about whenever he shouts “he’s cut holes in this pockets!” about Orange Cassidy. What is that even supposed to mean? Is it a joke I don’t get?

He means he's a wanker.

• Paid Members

I thought it had to be more than that. To what end would you even make that joke? Cassidy’s a daft babyface and that’s got nothing to do with the sloth gimmick. Between that and the shoulders thing, where he insults babyfaces for not putting pressure on the shoulders even when it’s got nothing to do with the story of the match. Wrecks my head. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Between that and the shoulders thing, where he insults babyfaces for not putting pressure on the shoulders even when it’s got nothing to do with the story of the match. Wrecks my head. 

It's a Gorilla Monsoon trait. That and commenting about refereeing decisions or the application of certain holds. Nothing to do with anything but adds some legitimacy and authority to the commentary. I used to love it as a kid but as a grown up, I get why some hated Gorilla. Can come across very snarky. Think JR falls the wrong side of that line too. Done occassionally, it would be fine but it's all over the show and now Big Tone and Excaliber chip in too.

I don’t see any issue with him doing obscure gamer cosplay because I know it’s his thing. I don’t need to get the reference further “it’s a geek thing.” Fair enough. Just at least pick a character who looks fucking cool. Be as obscure as you like, just don’t show up looking like a twat 

• Paid Members

They did 750,000 this week. I see the excuses of the silly boys rounders on the otherside being a factor, but at that level of viewership, is it that hard to maintain your 950,000? It used to be a running joke with TNA, that they could have had anything on the otherside and they'd still do their same number.

Kurt Angle debuts - 1.2

Pacman Jones debuts - 1.2

2011 Barca vs Ajax of 1995  on the otherside? - 1.2. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Was interested in the Omega intro at first because I thought it was hinting at a debut. But of course it was just Omega being a geeky prick for the sake of it.

Prick.

I thought this too. Immediately assumed it was somebody hacking entrances with cryptic personal shit leading to a debut down the line. Disappointed it was just Omega in dress-up.

Other than that though, I thought this was an incredible few hours of TV.

It was the opposite to usual this week, loved all the non-wrestling stuff and the Inner Circle, Cody and Moxley all come across like stars but didn't like SCU winning the belts and thought the Rick/Morty and Undertale cosplay stuff was a bit shite. They do seem to be listening to feedback however.

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

They did 750,000 this week. I see the excuses of the silly boys rounders on the otherside being a factor, but at that level of viewership, is it that hard to maintain your 950,000? It used to be a running joke with TNA, that they could have had anything on the otherside and they'd still do their same number.

Kurt Angle debuts - 1.2

Pacman Jones debuts - 1.2

2011 Barca vs Ajax of 1995  on the otherside? - 1.2. 

I think this one might've been slightly skewed as it was opposing Game 7 of the World Series. It'll be intriguing, however, to see if they can recover to their 950k next week.