The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Interesting to see that tickets are still available for Full Gear too. What was that number that Meltzer reckoned they could’ve shifted for All Out?

I know Baltimore might be the one of the ‘big’ wrestling cities, but it’s only 100 miles from Philadelphia and less than 40 miles  from Washington DC

Another amazing show, although I have to admit, I preferred last weeks due to the fact that there was just so much better tag team matches.

I managed to time a business trip to Houston just right.....I've got my Full Gear ticket and fly out to the US on Tuesday for 2 weeks, but flying internally into Baltimore on Saturday morning for Full Gear. On the Sunday I can be a tourist in Washington DC, then back to Houston.

- Landing in a Private jet.

- Stretch Limousine for just himself and Schiavone.

- Wearing a Three piece suit everywhere.

- Arriving late to the contract signing...

Cody Rhodes is 34 years old, flaunting his richness, taking shots at WWE every chance he gets, basically arrogant af, acting like he’s the King of England. Such a mark for himself.

In short: Isn’t Jericho the heel?

I wonder if they will adopt WWE’s 50/50 booking logic btw with the wins and losses. If so, than it will be easy to beat the bookies the upcoming months.

Edited by LWOLeN

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

Cody Rhodes is 34 years old, flaunting his richness, taking shots at WWE every chance he gets, basically arrogant af, acting like he’s the King of England. Such a mark for himself.

ric flair man GIF

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

ric flair man GIF

I get it. However Flair was the high roller and Dusty was the ‘son of a plumber’ / ‘common man’, hence it worked. 

There is absolutely nothing ‘common man’ about Cody. Jericho vs Cody is basically ‘Flair vs Flair’ to me. 

2 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

Cody Rhodes is 34 years old, flaunting his richness, taking shots at WWE every chance he gets, basically arrogant af, acting like he’s the King of England

mN046x7.png

“but thanks to Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn holding him down, Cody can only afford the BluRay Player for his Private Plane, not the 4K UHD Player that he wanted. He’ll have to start his own Promotion to get the recognition he truly deserves in order to afford it”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

After years of WWE presenting their top stars as paupers who desperately need to keep their jobs to support their family, where being fined $100,000 is portrayed as life-damaging money to them, give me a proper star who’s flying in jets and riding in limousines any day. The last person you can criticise for not booking himself correctly is Cody. Considering what a nobody he was by the time he left WWE, he feels like one of the biggest stars in the business now.

• Paid Members

I loved that episode.

There are definitely a lot of flaws that they need to work out - production issues in particular - but I'm absolutely loving the storylines. SCU's journey to the tag titles is the kind of storyline that I've really missed in wrestling. It was simple, developed organically and had a really satisfying pay off. Most importantly, it opens up possibilities for the future. How is Daniels going to react to being replaced? You've got to imagine Santana and Ortiz will be coming after the titles now as well, which is a match I really want to see.

Really everything on the show felt like it had a point, and is going somewhere. Even folk like TH2 came off looking like stars in defeat. The Brandi/Kong segment was a bit shit though. What the fuck was that? 

• Paid Members

Jericho lighting his cigar after Dustin's attack was just fantastic. He has been superb in his role so far, he's done so much brilliant, cunty stuff. 

The rest of the show wasn't so hot I don't think. I didn't enjoy the women's match, and i thought the tag final was just ok. Maybe I'm just burned out on tag matches.

The Brandi thing. I can't believe they're still going with Brandi as a heel. She's so likeable and is intrinsically part of Cody's feel good babyface story, I just can't fathom why they are/she is so dead set on being a heel character. 

Tony Schiavone being part of the signing angle sadly meant more Excalibur mic time. I can do without hearing his reedy nerd voice more often. 

Edited by gmoney

11 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The Brandi thing. I can't believe they're still going with Brandi as a heel. She's so likeable and is intrinsically part of Cody's feel good babyface story, I just can't fathom why they are/she is so dead set on being a heel character. 

Given that it’s Kong she’s associated with, pretty much the only real star they have in their Women’s Division, I’d imagine the lines will be blurred a little. I mean, who in their right mind would cheer the terminally dull Britt Baker over Kong? Or anyone else in that ‘division’ over along at this point?

We’ll see though. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Brandi portrayed as both, depending on the situation.

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Jericho lighting his cigar after Dustin's attack was just fantastic. He has been superb in his role so far, he's done so much brilliant, cunty stuff. 

The rest of the show wasn't so hot I don't think. I didn't enjoy the women's match, and i thought the tag final was just ok. Maybe I'm just burned out on tag matches.

Agreed on both points here.

Jericho was wonderful again, he's one of my favourite wrestlers to watch right now. Associating with him has done wonders for Sammy Guevara, who I'm sure I wouldn't care about otherwise.

I might be burned out on tag matches too. And near falls. And dives. There were fewer of all of those this week, but I'd love a few sub-5 minute affairs to balance out everything else feeling like it's meant to be a mini-epic.

Moxley's promo felt unscripted, and I'm sure it was, so that felt like a nice change. If there was Tony Khan involvement, I didn't see it - was that another bit cut from ITV Hub?

I didn't understand the Omega entrance. I'm so out of touch I didn't get any of the Rick and Morty bits either, but I have at least heard of Rick and Morty! 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Dusty was The American Dream. A man of the common people.

Cody is The American Nightmare. The complete opposite. What’s hard to understand?

One thing I noticed about Cody, even very early on, was how much he seemed more to emulate Flair than Dusty. When he was starting out with Hardcore Holly, he had Flair-style gear, monogrammed tights and kneepads that covered more his shins than his knees. He did a fair few spots like Flair too; his knee drops and elbow drops, and sometimes even his bumps were reminiscent of Naitch. 

Even in the build up to the match with Dustin the whole narrative was that Dustin has grown up when Dusty was pushing to make it and was still the common man son of a plumber but Cody had grown up with the silver spoon in his mouth on the back of the success Dusty had since achieved.

Cody emulating Flair more than his own father because he has no concept of the common man days due to his father's success and Cody being an inadvertent product of everthing his father stood against is a brilliant story in itself.