The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I'm sure that works for a lot of people. Particularly due to aforementioned burn out. However I think recap vids and reading results is a horse shit way to view entertainment. To me it's the equivalent of saying you have seen a film when you spent the majority of the time on your phone. Everything that happens on a pro wrestling show should matter. From the entrances to the promos to the matches. They tell a story and if you aren't watching it you aren't getting the whole story.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'm sure that works for a lot of people. Particularly due to aforementioned burn out. However I think recap vids and reading results is a horse shit way to view entertainment. To me it's the equivalent of saying you have seen a film when you spent the majority of the time on your phone. Everything that happens on a pro wrestling show should matter. From the entrances to the promos to the matches. They tell a story and if you aren't watching it you aren't getting the whole story.

You would have to take a Saturday job to keep up with Raw and the PPVs. There's no way a regular person could keep up with all this wrestling without ignoring a lot of it. An average film is 90 minutes. Raw has an overrun during a 3 hour show and the PPVs dont even have a set finish time. It can be 2 and a half hours to a full 4 1/2. This is the first year since I was 11 that I didnt watch WrestleMania live. There's just to much of it.

AEW is two hours, that is fair. But when the hype and the new paint dries up, its going to be interesting to see how this weekly number holds up. Do people even want more wrestling?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

As some on here who know me will attest, I have a ridiculously completist mindset when it comes to consuming any cultural texts, like books, films, TV, etc. One of the many reasons I was put off WWE (though obviously not the main one) is that there's just too much to consume, and the bundle of neuroses purporting to be my personality just wouldn't allow any gaps.

However, recently, I've found a great way to look at it: like it's a comics universe. Most people don't read every single title that Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc. put out, but we're perfectly fine when characters from the titles we don't read show up in the ones we do, and we're not too bothered by the assumed stuff in their narrative background, so why can't we do that for wrestling?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

AEW is two hours, that is fair. But when the hype and the new paint dries up, its going to be interesting to see how this weekly number holds up. Do people even want more wrestling?

Not more wrestling, different wrestling.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah absolutely it's mental for a hardcore fan to be a completist these days let alone a casual. I happen to be in a very fortunate position where my job has an insane amount of down time so I'm able to just about keep up. The comics analogy Carbomb uses is probably the way I'd have to look at it if I were in a different situation. The fact is I've had to start a spread sheet on my phone to track it all which is bloody ridiculous. Imagine if had to do that to follow Neighbours?!

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think a majority of AEW's fanbase will be looking to replace WWE, not add more wrestling to their WWE schedule. There's more than enough to warrant not watching any WWE at all, and as much as I'd want to keep up with NXT still I just can't justify it. 

My current weekly load-out is AEW and Beyond: Uncharted Territory, which works out to four hours per week. I usually watch most GCW shows too, I keep up with New Japan, and I'll dip in and out of AIW, Riptide and whatever else is making noise on the scene (such as AEW Dark). I never miss a Takeover or Impact PPV either.

There's loads out there, all very accessible too, and AEW slots in there nicely as half of my guaranteed fix. Adding NXT's two hour show with Ranallo's frustrating commentary just isn't going to make it right now.

Just caught up with that.

On the whole I enjoyed it, but where the fuck are the heels? Everyone wants to be cheered. They're all mugging to the camera and giving the fans a nod and a wink every 30 seconds. The Lucha Bros start the show with an intense beatdown, then half an hour later they're playing for cheers in their match, for all that they're incredible workers.

There's only PAC, Jericho and the genius that is Guevara who are genuine heels. Even LAX are giving it the old hand signals to the crowd during their squash. Just fuck the jobbers up and revel in your boos.

Having said that, the two hours flew by. More of the same please, but with added heels.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Yeah, I think a majority of AEW's fanbase will be looking to replace WWE, not add more wrestling to their WWE schedule. There's more than enough to warrant not watching any WWE at all, and as much as I'd want to keep up with NXT still I just can't justify it. 

Yup, same here really. I genuinely don't feel that I'm missing out on anything these days by not watching the WWE.

If a star from the past turns up on Raw or wrestles on the mad Saudi shows (i.e a proper star that I give a shit about for nosalgia), then I'll catch it one way or the other.

But AEW fulfills my 'big time' wrestling fix and I can happily Sky+ Impact and AEW Dynamite from frer TV every week, and maybe an hour of NWA on Youtube, and feel that's more than enough wrestling to keep me going all week.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Did anyone else get royally fucked off with the guy from LAX screaming "THE BEST! THE BEST! THE BEST! THE BEST!" constantly over Jericho's backstage promo like an awful Foo Fighters tribute band?

Yes. But in their defence I doubt they thought They were. I’m surprised they were picked up so much by the mics

Like the product just wish there was some break to the 100% turbo workrate work going on , less "movezzz". Darby could be a star just wish there was more character and emotion behind the crazy shit he's doing. Love their show but just aching for them to deliver "less is more", will help them in the long run.

Edited by Worthits

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Did anyone else get royally fucked off with the guy from LAX screaming "THE BEST! THE BEST! THE BEST! THE BEST!" constantly over Jericho's backstage promo like an awful Foo Fighters tribute band?

Aw, did the heels annoy you?