The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I thought Moss and Sabbatelli were pretty decent midcard heels for NXT. Not blow-away, but not awful either. They kept touting Moss really highly in the commentary on that NXT Combine thing they broadcast live from the PC on the Network, so someone obviously thinks highly of him. 

You'd take Orton in a heartbeat. Some big matches there in a fresh setting. I reckon him versus the likes of Omega, Cody, PAC, Hangman and even Jericho would be good. He also has a huge fanbase and social media following so I'm sure he'd get people interested and talking about AEW more. 

• Paid Members

Orton's the kind of guy with whom you can do great things if 1. he's motivated, and 2. he's booked well. He's a great blank slate when he's up for it, but you can't just stick him out there and expect to get the best out of him. Give him something memorable to do, and he'll make it work. We saw that in the early days of his psycho run with Legacy, DDTing Stephanie, etc.

EDIT: He's also got a little bit of a cult profile on the internet, with all the RKO memes. The time might have passed now, but perhaps there's some residual mileage to be got out of that?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Orton is awesome. He's clearly not bothered about killing himself when he can work properly, get paid and dick about on his bus. He's the smartest guy on the roster.

AEW would be insane to think they're above him. He's a top name, he's bigger and better looking than most of their roster and he's one of the few names who's signing would create news stories and reflect poorly on WWE.

He's not going anywhere though.

1 hour ago, Pinc said:

You could tell Randy was gutted that the ECW fans hated him at the Hammerstein that time. He’d love to finish up his career with a nice AEW run to finally get over with the internet lads.

It isn’t that much of a reach to be fair. Cena had his US Title run where he basically wanted to tick “internet points” off his bucket list. You’ve also got Hogan tapping out to Angle, Batista wanting to sell for Daniel Bryan, Nash working with the X-Division and so forth. Towards the end of someone’s career they aren’t as bothered about protecting their legacy and can just want to do stuff for fun. I imagine AEW could be loads of fun for Orton to spend his last year or two.

It probably ain’t gonna happen, but would be one of the best things in wrestling if it did 

• Paid Members

While I'd be hesitant personally, as I usually find him boring as fuck, he'd make a good addition. However, I will be hugely entertained if he has no interest whatsoever and is just using social media to get people talking as a bargaining chip for his contract renewal. It'd be such a half-arsed way to do it, I love it.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I really liked Elias for a time. Saw his name pop up on that draft list and realised I'd completely forgotten he existed. He's another act that got over as a heel to the point fans were dying to cheer him but it just doesn't matter now. There's nothing done to capitalise on it. Bray Wyatt was in that position for years. Kevin Owens too. For a company who can't create a likeable face to save their lives, they are hideously slow to jump on the ones who just fall into their lap.

You say that but they did actually turn Elias face for a time last year and it worked quite well. Then they just turned him back without any real reason. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

While I'd be hesitant personally, as I usually find him boring as fuck, he'd make a good addition. However, I will be hugely entertained if he has no interest whatsoever and is just using social media to get people talking as a bargaining chip for his contract renewal. It'd be such a half-arsed way to do it, I love it.

His contract is up next year apparently, so I imagine he will do a couple more things like this to raise his value at least

4 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

It isn’t that much of a reach to be fair. Cena had his US Title run where he basically wanted to tick “internet points” off his bucket list. You’ve also got Hogan tapping out to Angle, Batista wanting to sell for Daniel Bryan, Nash working with the X-Division and so forth. Towards the end of someone’s career they aren’t as bothered about protecting their legacy and can just want to do stuff for fun. I imagine AEW could be loads of fun for Orton to spend his last year or two.

It probably ain’t gonna happen, but would be one of the best things in wrestling if it did 

Totally. I almost mentioned that Cena US Title challenge run as a precedent.

I had such mixed feelings about that run. Made up for John to finally be getting some cheers but devastated that he’d lowered himself to pandering for Deir approval.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I had such mixed feelings about that run. Made up for John to finally be getting some cheers but devastated that he’d lowered himself to pandering for Deir approval.

I couldn't think of anyone I expect gives less of a shit about anyone's approval than Cena. That entire run was him sticking two fingers up to everyone who ever chanted "You can't wrestle" or wrote shit articles in a magazine called PowerSlam. Wonderful stuff.

If I had to create a new wrestling company, with money no object, Orton would be my first phone call.

He's an incredible athlete, has an incredible look, genuine ferocity in the ring when he's motivated.  People outside WWE always namecheck him as the person they most want to work with in WWE.   He tends to only have a couple of good matches a year, but look at what they give him.  That he hasn't been the face of WWE for the last decade is, in my opinion, indicative of the creative bankruptcy of the company.

He's a household name in USA thanks to the RKO outta nowhere stuff.  He's got an incredible legacy in the business, and is still young enough to be the face of your company for the next decade if he wishes.

If you could build a company around him, give him great talent to work with, and allow him to write his own promos... boy, that could be something.  Heel Hogan in WCW something.