The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

In a perfect world they would bin Baker off TV until she's improved. But they have probably invested too much time in her to just pull the plug.

Hayter looked great. Brandi can fuck right off.

Still enjoyed the show but that was the first time I started to feel fatigued (didn't help that I recently got back into Stardom bang in the middle of their tag league) by the end.

Back to back tag matches from the start was a terrible idea.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Ā 

The opener was aids to the eyes. Not a single wrestling move in the entire thing. Just a collection of dives, kicks and ranas without narrative or even the pretence of a contest. When neither is a heel or face either, there's not even a subtext. At least the Bucks tried to hang it together a couple of weeks ago. This was just fucking garbage.Ā 

Ā 

I agree with you however would it surprise you to learn that Meltzer thought it was awesome?

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

This happened on the Fite app after the show went off air, assume itā€™ll be shown on Dark or a video package next week

Did it? Didn't really notice. @Accident Prone's fault for being a dodgy bastard then!

Agree though, not sure why you wouldn't air that.

15 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I agree with you however would it surprise you to learn that Meltzer thought it was awesome?

Of course he did. Although AP was complimentary above so it obviously has some appeal.

Jake Barnett's recap on PW.net is really good. Sums up my thoughts, certainly https://prowrestling.net/site/2019/10/23/10-23-aew-dynamite-tv-results-barnetts-live-review-of-jon-moxley-vs-pac-private-party-vs-pentagon-jr-and-fenix-and-frankie-kazarian-and-scorpio-sky-vs-the-dark-order-in-an-aew-tag-title-tourna/

His closing "take" is spot on, IMO.

My Take: This match had the best psychology of the night, and I like the time limit draw as a finish for two guys that do not need to take a loss at this point. Moxley sold the early beat down well, and looked disheveled for the entire match. Pac took a crazy bulldog bump on the apron, and that factored into his balance as he went for the black arrow later on in the match. Overall, this was another strong episode of Dynamite. All the pieces are in place for a great PPV at Full Gear. I still think AEW has some work to do in the remaining TV to sell people on the other matches besides Cody and Jericho. The show could use more storytelling vignettes and live promos over the next few weeks to really establish who these characters are.

Edited by tiger_rick

They will air it, they just didnā€™t air it last night on the main show. Assume itā€™ll be shown next week. IfĀ you donā€™t have Fite then youā€™ll just have to watch next weekā€™s DynamiteĀ 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Did it? Didn't really notice. @Accident Prone's fault for being a dodgy bastard then!

Agree though, not sure why you wouldn't air that.

You can take the man out of Bromford...

People who watch on the regular TV (their most important audience at this stage in the game) should be getting this stuff on the live show. Telling folkĀ "Oh you should've watched it on Fite" or hedging your bets on it being on NEXT week isn't really a defense against shoddy positioning of these segments.

If I'm a casual viewer, or someone who likes to watch their watching in two 50 minute blocks on dodgy websites, then I'm left with nothing. No build for the rapidly approaching Moxley/Omega matchĀ despite both of them being on the show, and a promo fromĀ the seemingly forgotten and stagnant Adam Page where he could really used that proper TV time.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

They will air it, they just didnā€™t air it last night on the main show. Assume itā€™ll be shown next week. IfĀ you donā€™t have Fite then youā€™ll just have to watch next weekā€™s DynamiteĀ 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

People who watch on the regular TV (their most important audience at this stage in the game) should be getting this stuff on the live show. Telling folkĀ "Oh you should've watched it on Fite" or hedging your bets on it being on NEXT week isn't really a defense against shoddy positioning of these segments.

Agree with the latter point here. I've no problem with a hook for next week but I don't think this is it. I don't mind too much where they've seemingly cut off the show because Moxley looks good, albeit nothing like the blue-eye he was two weeks ago, but the Page interview particularly should be on this show instead of five minutes of any of the matches prior to the main event and if they're going to air it anyway, the Mox/Kenny interaction needed to air.

Not that I feel sorry for AP, he's a tight bastard, but he's right.

Airing the promo that followed live on TNT would have left people scratching their heads as to why a match with a time limit of TV time remaining ended only for the show itself to continue for another 5/10 minutes. The finish prevented either guy from losing, will make a Pac vs Mox match down the line seem fresher than if there had been a clean result, creates interest for the next show to see how the situation was resolved, or better yet (For AEW) pushes people towards their YouTube & Social Media accounts. It also reminds folk who are tuning in having missed the draw between Cody and Darby how that particular rule works.

The show as a whole still feels fresh and way more organic and real than when I last watched WWE so I'm more than happy, especially considering they are only four weeks in.
Ā 

41 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

someone who likes to watch their watching in two 50 minute blocks on dodgy websites, then I'm left with nothing. .

Good! That's exactly what people who can't be arsed to pay a dollar a week should be left with..

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Brudaker said:

Airing the promo that followed live on TNT would have left people scratching their heads as to why a match with a time limit of TV time remaining ended only for the show itself to continue for another 5/10 minutes.

Agree, fair point. That's why I think the Page interview should have been earlier. Break up the run of matches.

Just now, tiger_rick said:

Agree, fair point. That's why I think the Page interview should have been earlier. Break up the run of matches.

Yeah that makes sense. Maybe he could have come out after Cody abandoned his announcement and seized the opportunity to lay out his challenge.Ā 

We're never going to find out what that Cody announcement was are we?Ā Ā 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Brudaker said:

Airing the promo that followed live on TNT would have left people scratching their heads as to why a match with a time limit of TV time remaining ended only for the show itself to continue for another 5/10 minutes. The finish prevented either guy from losing, will make a Pac vs Mox match down the line seem fresher than if there had been a clean result, creates interest for the next show to see how the situation was resolved, or better yet (For AEW) pushes people towards their YouTube & Social Media accounts. It also reminds folk who are tuning in having missed the draw between Cody and Darby how that particular rule works.

This is all very presumptuous. As Tiger pointed out, that Page promo could've gone anywhere in live show (some of those matches really didn't need to go the time they were allotted). Makes zero sense having it as a Fite and live crowd exclusive when it's the TV market who should be AEW's main aim.Ā 

There was also nothing about that finish that would push the TV audienceĀ towards AEW'S social media. There was no "Oh, follow us on Facebook and Twitter as Adam Page will be joining us!" or "How will this affect AEW next week? Check out our social media pages for exclusive info". There was nothing that the match, the match result or the post-match that screamed "FOLLOW US!!! QUICKLY!!!".Ā 

If anything, I'm not really looking forward to next week's episode because they clearly have no grasp on how to shine a light on the stories that they want to tell. I want them to succeed, and hopefully this will be fixed up as time goes on, but I shouldn't be left feeling like a two hour episode of wrestling only pushed one major angle whilst leaving everything else to fend for themselves.

24 minutes ago, Brudaker said:

Good! That's exactly what people who can't be arsed to pay a dollar a week should be left with..

Tell that to the million or so watching on TV, my man.Ā 

Edited by Accident Prone
grammar and the like

26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It feels to me like they invest a lot of energy in Cody Rhodes' storyline, and leave everyone else to figure out their own. The presentation of one compared to the rest is light years apart.

I'm pretty sure Cody himself is responsible for this. The bucks and Omega's presentation of themselves is vastly different from Cody's. So much so, that I assume that no one is overseeingĀ their character developmentĀ as a whole. They seem to still be doing what they individually think is cool.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

I'm pretty sure Cody himself is responsible for this. The bucks and Omega's presentation of themselves is vastly different from Cody's. So much so, that I assume that no one is overseeingĀ their character developmentĀ as a whole. They seem to still be doing what they individually think is cool.

I think you're probably right - early on, they talked a lot about how they would let wrestlers manage their own characters and book their own stories, using that as a selling point, but it just rang alarm bells for me, and that's probably been one of their biggest issues so far. There's a real issue of stylistic inconsistency when you're letting one guy book a serious blood feud while another guy's booking themselves in a more comedic fashion, with little thought to how to bridge the gap.Ā 

And sooner or later you'll run in to guys who don't agree with how someone else wants to book them to their ends, or two conflicting ideas of how things should be. There needs to be someone steering the ship.