The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Vince hating wrestling is just part of the stupid internet hatred of him, from when he’d push Triple H and Cena over whichever Blandy McWorkrate was flavour of the month - “if Vince really liked wrestling, Cesaro would be the champion and Shelton would main event WrestleMania against him in an iron man match! But WWE is sports entertainment, not pro wrestling for real wrestling fans! I’m never calling him dad, mom! I’m going to my room!”

Where’s the evidence for Vince disliking wrestling? His failed attempts to crack other avenues of entertainment? Potentially there’s the fact that his most prosperous times (before Saudi and TV money changed the game) were when his product was based more around characters and skits than wrestling matches. But that was when the people who say he hates wrestling most enjoyed his product anyway.

He rips up his creative team’s scripts at the last minute and replaces them with wrestling matches that have no narrative purpose. Why would he do that if he hated wrestling? At this stage, it seems like not only does he like wrestling, he likes the same wrestling that Bryan Alvarez likes.

1 minute ago, Michael_3165 said:

He is embarrassed by the business and dies to be seen in the same category as other media tycoons. He can't stand the term wrestler Ffs! 

I'm embarrassed by wrestling and I don't even have my name attached to it. 

Isn't Vince's point of view more to do with the fact that trying to get respectable brands to advertise on his programming would be almost impossible if WWE was branded as an old-school wrassling show? 

Wrestling has to be one of the most frowned upon industries on the planet. Vince obviously has a love of wrestling, and his vision of it has for the most part been real-life comic book heroes, larger than life characters. And that's the reason he's made millions off the back of his philosophy. He knows what the masses want. 

I remember the Internet hating the likes of Cena and Batista because they weren't wrestling 60 minute draws every week in front of the Impact Zone, and look at how big they turned out. Two of the most recognisable names in entertainment. 

Vince's mission to create a family friendly product he could offer to the mainstream was always going to upset a core section of the fan base but it's mental to say outright that he hates wrestling. 

I definitely think he's mischaracterised by the "He hates wrestling" narrative. I think it's similar to a lot of big name game directors in having a genuine love for the industry, while at the same time feeling insecure about working in a 'niche' entertainment industry looked down upon by more culturally entrenched industries like Hollywood.

Going down that analogy, AEW is a punchy AA company like Remedy, who are looking to emulate the trappings of their richer competitors, while still making a product that feels unique to them, and your indies are, well, indies. Smaller teams doing things to smaller audiences each catering to their own niche interest within the consumer base.

58 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

He has always historically been cited as saying he prefers to see wrestling as mini movies or stories. He is embarrassed by the business and dies to be seen in the same category as other media tycoons. He can't stand the term wrestler Ffs! 

Televised wrestling is mini movies and stories. Live wrestling is mini panto and stories.

11 minutes ago, Polish Dad said:

I definitely think he's mischaracterised by the "He hates wrestling" narrative. I think it's similar to a lot of big name game directors in having a genuine love for the industry, while at the same time feeling insecure about working in a 'niche' entertainment industry looked down upon by more culturally entrenched industries like Hollywood.

Going down that analogy, AEW is a punchy AA company like Remedy, who are looking to emulate the trappings of their richer competitors, while still making a product that feels unique to them, and your indies are, well, indies. Smaller teams doing things to smaller audiences each catering to their own niche interest within the consumer base.

Hopefully AEW start being influenced by David Lynch and House of Leaves sometime soon then!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

He has always historically been cited as saying he prefers to see wrestling as mini movies or stories. He is embarrassed by the business and dies to be seen in the same category as other media tycoons. He can't stand the term wrestler Ffs! 

Again, that's not "he hates wrestling", that's "he's realised how to make money from wrestling on a scale never seen before" and "he knows how to sell wrestling to advertisers and investors". 

He wouldn't still be running a wrestling company in his 70s, working til god knows what time in the morning rewriting scripts, when he could have handed it over or sold it off decades ago and lived off the interest, if he "hated wrestling".

Edited by BomberPat

That smile on Pentagons face! He was so proud. The match was ridiculously fun. 

I truly hope SCU win the belts next week. My wallet also.

The whole ‘sport style’ is just marketing huh!? This episode was like Cirque du Soleil.

Once again enjoyed this weeks ‘AEW Wednesday Night NITRO’.

Janela is a way better worker than he needs to be btw.

That was one hot mess of an opener. I liked how they started the show by going straight into the action with no intro, but the match itself did nothing for me.

There were too many matches on this show. Three matches without an angle was too much for me, I actually fast forwarded through most of Janela/Omega and I couldn’t be arsed with the women’s match later either. I don’t understand what they see in Baker at this point. Her ring work is weak and she’s not good at all on the mic.

The Cody angle was lots of fun, but I need more story than I’m getting. I know very little about most of the wrestlers including some of the bigger names in the promotion like Omega.

Very few of the Full Gear matches have any significant build at all and it’s a bit odd.

This show has one or two highlights, but for me it missed the mark. 

While I’m sure people will be making a big thing of AEW Having the higher ratings for a forth straight week, one thing that doesn’t seem to get talked about is that both shows are losing viewers week on week. That could be down to the NBA or other sports at this time of year, but when it’s not NBA or NFL season, it’ll be interesting to see what sort of numbers both shows are getting

Didn’t like Private Party/Lucia Bros. PP looked really fucking sloppy in places, which could’ve just been them trying to do overly convoluted stuff. SCU/Dark Order wasn’t anything blow away, but it benefitted from being (mostly) more straight forward and I enjoyed that match more as a result.

Why did The Inner Circle have to buy tickets for a show by a promotion they work for? Were they barred from the arena?

No idea who that Wardlow lad is, but at least he isn’t another 180lb floppy guy

Edited by WyattSheepMask