The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Often coming in in the jericho position in a few years, ready to lead from the front I’d take. You could see his demise in effort when he seen he wasn’t going to be the man and Cena was. I think he could up his game if he wanted to, he’s just not had any reason to in a long time as he’s allowed to coast 

I'm genuinely surprised that so many people seem to think Orton wouldn't go to AEW. I think he is definitely positioning himself strongly with his contract coming up but if AEW offer him a financial package/arrangement that is competitive then I think he will be there in a heartbeat.

He has been in and around the WWE for over 15 years now and I genuinely think the only reason he at times comes across as boring or uninterested is because WWE and their creative are utterly incapable of booking nearly anyone effectively. 

He's done it all in WWE and he's sorted financially, what on earth is there to lose? If he went for 2-3 years and it didn't work out WWE still wont have made any stars and he can walk back into his exact same spot. He'll still have future HOF induction and a couple of part time showcase matches if he didn't want to go back full time also.

Hold the title on Jericho until Orton's contract is finished and pull the trigger with a face finally overcoming Jericho and the inner circle at the first PPV after it. Only for Randy to appear with an RKO outta nowhere to cut the celebrations short. Follow it up with a punt as the new champ tries to make it back up to his feet. 

Ruthless horrible heartless bastard Orton is the best.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

7 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I'm genuinely surprised that so many people seem to think Orton wouldn't go to AEW. 

Can’t imagine him sticking with WWE out of loyalty, would all be about who offers him the best deal. Gotta guess that would be WWE unless something changes between now and then 

At work we are understaffed, so every year I passive aggressively tell my employer that I am planning to leave because I want some new adventure. And every year they throw more money at me. It’s of course all a work from my part.

Same goes for Orton. It would be a nightmare for WWE to have him leave so he is busting their balls. That Instagram post is probably just a clever way for Orton to negotiate a WWE raise.

13 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

At work we are understaffed, so every year I passive aggressively tell my employer that I am planning to leave because I want some new adventure. And every year they throw more money at me. It’s of course all a work from my part.

Same goes for Orton. It would be a nightmare for WWE to have him leave so he is busting their balls. That Instagram post is probably just a clever way for Orton to negotiate a WWE raise.

In fairness that's not a comparable equivalence though. Unless you are of course also a multi millionaire with the security of being able to return to your current employment on the same or better terms any time after you left if you wanted to.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

In fairness that's not a comparable equivalence though. Unless you are of course also a multi millionaire with the security of being able to return to your current employment on the same or better terms any time after you left if you wanted to.

Well it is in so much as WWE can match literally any offer AEW could give him or better it. Don't get me wrong I'd love for Randy to jump ship but if AEW can't offer Punk (a guy that can't stand WWE) a good enough offer then Randy will be laughing all the way to the bank. He'll be on a Lesnar contract doing his chin lock special in no time.

The reason Jericho's doing so well in AEW (and Japan before that) is that he's always been up for reinventing himself and throwing shit at the wall - and that must at least partly come down to his bitterness that he never quite made it as a top guy in the big leagues. Has Randy Orton got the fire or creativity in him to do that? Apart from the odd one-week burst of enthusiasm, he's just done the same thing for about twelve years now. His entire career has been defined by his potential vs his lack of effort. If he turns up in AEW as the top guy and he's just Same Old WWE Randy Orton, it'd hurt AEW's credibility in deir eyes. And I don't see him ever changing much.

8 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

The reason Jericho's doing so well in AEW (and Japan before that) is that he's always been up for reinventing himself and throwing shit at the wall - and that must at least partly come down to his bitterness that he never quite made it as a top guy in the big leagues. Has Randy Orton got the fire or creativity in him to do that? Apart from the odd one-week burst of enthusiasm, he's just done the same thing for about twelve years now. His entire career has been defined by his potential vs his lack of effort. If he turns up in AEW as the top guy and he's just Same Old WWE Randy Orton, it'd hurt AEW's credibility in deir eyes. And I don't see him ever changing much.

Jericho, Moxley and Hager to an extent have all come in with the shtick of being free from the WWE umbrella but every signing can't do that forever. I know this story has been done before (and done to death) but I would buy Orton as the corporate guy sent to try and destroy All Elite from within. Actually I don't think there is a better guy for that role on the WWE roster than Orton as he is the complete antithesis to the indie and Japanese scene AEW has grown out of.

He would be a heat magnet in a way he just never could be in WWE and without really having to change too much either. Randy slapping on chinlocks in WWE is boring - on an AEW show it would be infuriating.

• Paid Members

Orton would be brilliant as the guy who is too big for AEW. Have him refuse to even enter the arena. Just pull his bus into the car park and do all his promos from there. Have him turn up for matches with a big entourage keeping the fans away from him. Show the jabronis getting changed in the corridor because Orton has the dressing room to himself. Make New York state of mind his theme music. "I'd rather be: NYC" T-Shirts. Any old shit stirring. Could have all sorts of fun with it.

That’s very similar to Jericho’s character, but it does sound good. The issue is that AEW strongly depends on its promoters/bookers being babyface, and signing Orton could turn Tony Khan and co heel online, or at least take the bloom off the rose. They’d be endorsing him doing chinlocks, and the core audience would be very aware of that. It’s definitely not “won a hell in a cell match by ref stoppage” but it could be “shags Becky Lynch.”