The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Fun show that flew by again. The tag style is still my biggest gripe with AEW. I wish they'd tighten up the rules. I'm tired of seeing the tag matches breaking down into what is essentially tornado tag matches. I could do with consistency, and less of the refs flapping their hands about looking useless.    

The matches still go on longer than they need to. I hate the tendency to do indie false finishes with constant near falls instead of just putting over someone strong. I was rolling my eyes with JR when Marko Stunt kicked out of that cradle bomb thing by Penta. They could have easily trimmed a few minutes of fluff and made time for a live Moxley promo or a Darby Allin piece.    

I did think Luchasaurus being out was a blessing in disguise. The match and the opening beatdown helped establish the Lucha Bros as a menacing, dominant force in the tag division without the big dinosaur stealing the spotlight. Penta rag-dolling Stunt for the entirety of the picture in picture break was glorious. Aside from dumb kickouts Marko Stunt won me over in this match. He wrestles to his size with canny aerial spots and double teams and never tries to go toe to toe. He needs to stop it with the flossing though, that's how the fuck you get Jurassic Express booed. I love Pentagon, and I can't wait to see him in singles action. Drop the hand gesture shit though. Kills the flow of the match and only gets him babyface heat.   

Riho is an awesome underdog babyface and the only interesting act in the women's division. Love the sense of desperation in her comebacks and the fact that they put over her flash pins as vet moves rather than flukes. She lays in her strikes well enough for her size not to bother me. The joshi girls are clearly struggling to gel with the green as grass US girls though. I can't believe they had all them vets pass through in the battle royal without picking any of them up. Nyla Rose showed a ton of star potential on the debut show but Britt Baker has been a complete dud. I'd like to see how she does in singles match with one of the non-joshi lasses. But yeah, no real depth or direction with the women's stuff.

Loved the LAX squash. Happy to see squashes at all. Proud and Powerful is a lame name but I thought they looked boss with their entrance. Santana/Ortiz, Darby, OC, Riho and The Jurassic Express all feel like potential cult hits.

Kenny again looking like a twit with his broom.

Jericho is on a roll. He is king and comes across like the biggest star in wrestling. The finish to the main event was spot on, loved the cheap shot from Hager. That's how you book your top heel to get actual heel heat.

Imagine if they'd put the world title on Adam Page!

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Mark_Doctor said:

She worked a full schedule....when she was 9?!

Don't be such an insufferable, pedantic dork.

According to her Cageatch profile, she's had at least 877 matches since 2006 (CageMatch doesn't list everything, so I'd wager that number is probably higher). She's got steady work from Ice Ribbon ever since her debut and up until 2012, and wrestled on average at least once per week.

Edited by Accident Prone

20 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Don't be such an insufferable, pedantic dork.

According to her Cageatch profile, she's had at least 877 matches since 2006 (CageMatch doesn't list everything, so I'd wager that number is probably higher). She's got steady work from Ice Ribbon ever since her debut and up until 2012, and wrestled on average at least once per week.

Behave.

If questioning the wrestling skills of a 9, 10 or 11 year old girl makes me insufferable, pendantic and a dork, then I don't want to be right.

It's like me saying I've been a painter for 30 years, ever since I first scribbled crayons on a pub napkin when I was 1. It's absurd.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Mark_Doctor said:

Behave.

If questioning the wrestling skills of a 9, 10 or 11 year old girl makes me insufferable, pendantic and a dork, then I don't want to be right.

It's like me saying I've been a painter for 30 years, ever since I first scribbled crayons on a pub napkin when I was 1. It's absurd.

She's 22. I don't understand what you're trying to get at here. Are you saying that she's crap despite having 13 years experience? 

Also, your point would have more stability if you said something akin to, "t's like me saying I've been a painter for 25 years, ever since I first went to art and painting classes when I was 5. It's absurd". She wasn't practicing wrestling moves in a pub by herself, she was training at a proper school.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Yeah - we can quibble about whether wrestlers should be training at that age or not, but you can't really deny that Riho was, and has been working consistently ever since.

I've not seen a lot of her work from that time period, but Emi's training style (and Ice Ribbon's house style under Emi) was very mat-based, and I don't think she has kids training to take big bumps or anything like that. I inherently feel uncomfortable with the idea of young kids being trained to wrestle, but in practice, is it that much different to kids that age doing karate, jiu-jitsu, or boxing, or kids learning rugby from the age of six or seven, or American football from even younger?

7 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

She's 22. I don't understand what you're trying to get at here. Are you saying that she's crap despite having 13 years experience? 

Also, your point would have more stability if you said something akin to, "t's like me saying I've been a painter for 25 years, ever since I first went to art and painting classes when I was 5. It's absurd". She wasn't practicing wrestling moves in a pub by herself, she was training at a proper school.

I get that its Japan - but who wants to watch a 9 year old girl wrestle other than creepy nonces?

We're so far apart on this that its pointless debating it.

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah - we can quibble about whether wrestlers should be training at that age or not, but you can't really deny that Riho was, and has been working consistently ever since.

I've not seen a lot of her work from that time period, but Emi's training style (and Ice Ribbon's house style under Emi) was very mat-based, and I don't think she has kids training to take big bumps or anything like that. I inherently feel uncomfortable with the idea of young kids being trained to wrestle, but in practice, is it that much different to kids that age doing karate, jiu-jitsu, or boxing, or kids learning rugby from the age of six or seven, or American football from even younger?

Pro wrestling is supposed to be entertainment in front of an audience though, unlike kids doing karate or whatever.

• Paid Members

"Who wants to watch her wrestle" isn't the same thing as debating the fact that she was wrestling for that long, though.

1 minute ago, Mark_Doctor said:

Pro wrestling is supposed to be entertainment in front of an audience though, unlike kids doing karate or whatever.

Other than the suggestion of audience noncery, that doesn't really seem to be a significant distinction. I'd be far more worried about a child potentially getting hurt in any of those sports than I would be worried about them having to perform in front of an audience. And we don't think it's wrong for young kids to play football or rugby at that age.

I'm not really defending Riho wrestling at that age, because personally I don't think kids should be wrestling that young, though I admit there's logical inconsistency there when you accept that we take it as read that kids will be involved in all sorts of other physical activity at the same age. The majority of Sakura's trainees when Ice Ribbon started (which was where Riho got her start) were young girls, with Emi training them predominantly in terms of exercise and physical fitness, through the means of wrestling classes. You can quibble with whether those kids should have been on shows or not, but the fact remains that they were, and that it does mean Riho has 13 years of experience at her age - which was the point you initially seemed to be contesting.

Edited by BomberPat

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I would imagine were a child boxing an adult there would be outrage though. I saw the Kenny Omega vs an 8 year old girl video recently [was that Riho?] and, yes, it's wrestling and it's not real blah blah but I still felt really uncomfortable when he was slamming her face into the turnbuckles.

I have no problem in theory with Riho. Her match with Nyla was not good but it told a story of the much smaller wrestler fighting the giant, which is a classic pro-wrestling trope that always works to some degree. I personally would have thought she would be better given her level of experience, as a lot of her strikes look like they wouldn't crack an egg, but she is the victim of a piss-poor womens division more than anything. 

11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

"Who wants to watch her wrestle" isn't the same thing as debating the fact that she was wrestling for that long, though.

Other than the suggestion of audience noncery, that doesn't really seem to be a significant distinction. I'd be far more worried about a child potentially getting hurt in any of those sports than I would be worried about them having to perform in front of an audience. And we don't think it's wrong for young kids to play football or rugby at that age.

I'm not really defending Riho wrestling at that age, because personally I don't think kids should be wrestling that young, though I admit there's logical inconsistency there when you accept that we take it as read that kids will be involved in all sorts of other physical activity at the same age. The majority of Sakura's trainees when Ice Ribbon started (which was where Riho got her start) were young girls, with Emi training them predominantly in terms of exercise and physical fitness, through the means of wrestling classes. You can quibble with whether those kids should have been on shows or not, but the fact remains that they were, and that it does mean Riho has 13 years of experience at her age - which was the point you initially seemed to be contesting.

This is not a world I know anything anything about. Do adult men pay money to watch little girls wrestle each other?!

That's incredibly creepy and just plain wrong. If I were AEW, I wouldn't be bringing attention to this.

Edited by Mark_Doctor

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Mark_Doctor said:

I get that its Japan - but who wants to watch a 9 year old girl wrestle other than creepy nonces?

We're so far apart on this that its pointless debating it.

I have no idea how the Ice Ribbon system works, but you've probably answered your own question there. I'm not into anime at all and I remember seeing Nostalgia Critic's review of Sailor Moon, and when he pointed out that the girls in that were meant to be 13, I felt really uneasy. But that's Japan. And I highly doubt that there's a promotion that's just 10 and 11 years olds, but maybe they wrestle on the prelims or dark matches? I can't say I'm that qualified to answer the question. 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think the issue with Riho's offence, particularly her strikes, isn't with how she throws them but rather how her opponents are selling them.

100% agreed here. Riho throws strikes well, with full commitment - other people shouldn't be selling them as anything more than a bit of a nuisance, though. Takes two to tango and all that.

I don't know enough about Ice Ribbon's audience back then to know whether it was predominantly adult males or not - I know from conversation with Emi that it's never been her target audience, but couldn't tell you what the actual demographic breakdown of the average Ice Ribbon crowd would be! 2006/7 was a pretty dark time for Joshi wrestling, falling somewhere between the good old days of largely teenage girl audiences and the bad times of idol perverts, so it could go either way.

In terms of age balance on the shows themselves, matches tended to be very short - only a couple of minutes - and basically grappling exhibitions, particularly where the younger wrestlers were concerned. Bigger matches were more likely to involve older talent like Emi herself, Cherry, or Manami Toyota. Or, weirdly, Mr Gannosuke.