The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Jamie Hayter is basically Bea Priestley but better at everything Bea Priestley thinks she's good at, so hopefully this isn't a one-and-done, or just her there as a proxy for Bea. 

She wrestled Britt Baker in EVE earlier this year, and I seem to remember it being decent, but nothing specific. It was on a stacked card, though, so I'm not surprised it doesn't stand out.

1 minute ago, The King Of Swing said:

Jamie Hayter is pretty good from what I've seen of her. Bags of potential.

She was present for the Bushiroad press conference which has people assuming that she's part of Stardom's long term plans.

She’ll be with Stardom for at least the next 3 or more months, I read somewhere she said she got a 6 month Visa but was hoping to stay in Japan for at least a year.

• Paid Members

There is far too much wrestling on the show. The Cody/Inner Circle angle was killer but at that point, anything that wasn't match-match-match-match would have done it for me. They need to break it up. It's relentless.

Enjoyed the big fight between Cody's lot and the Inner Circle. Them being shown occupying the box was old school and a great set up. The whole angle felt much more organic than WWE would have made it. Of course, they have to reference how different they are rather than just being different.

The opener was aids to the eyes. Not a single wrestling move in the entire thing. Just a collection of dives, kicks and ranas without narrative or even the pretence of a contest. When neither is a heel or face either, there's not even a subtext. At least the Bucks tried to hang it together a couple of weeks ago. This was just fucking garbage. 

Main event angle was good again. No finish to protect both guys, heat on Pac and then continuation of Kenny and Moxley. Page cut a good promo but he's not getting over like they want.

Not a bad show but one I'm happy to skip through because I don't need to see all these 10/15 minute matches every week.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

There is far too much wrestling on the show. The Cody/Inner Circle angle was killer but at that point, anything that wasn't match-match-match-match would have done it for me. They need to break it up. It's relentless.

Enjoyed the big fight between Cody's lot and the Inner Circle. Them being shown occupying the box was old school and a great set up. The whole angle felt much more organic than WWE would have made it. Of course, they have to reference how different they are rather than just being different.

The opener was aids to the eyes. Not a single wrestling move in the entire thing. Just a collection of dives, kicks and ranas without narrative or even the pretence of a contest. When neither is a heel or face either, there's not even a subtext. At least the Bucks tried to hang it together a couple of weeks ago. This was just fucking garbage. 

Main event angle was good again. No finish to protect both guys, heat on Pac and then continuation of Kenny and Moxley. Page cut a good promo but he's not getting over like they want.

Not a bad show but one I'm happy to skip through because I don't need to see all these 10/15 minute matches every week.

It was the complete opposite of Raw. No in ring interview until the start of hour 2, but I agree a short segment in between the 1st and 2nd match would have helped break up the pace.

Still think Dark Order are naff. Only seen up to the backstage brawl so far, which was great and I'll watch the rest tonight

The moves and flips stuff is getting a bit much now. I get why they’re doing it,  but they still haven’t told me anything about most of the guys and what their motivations are. It’s mainly just moves moves moves. But Jericho, for me, is the best thing in wrestling. He’s just tremendous in this role.

• Paid Members

Agreed. I still enjoy watching it as a wrestling show where it feels like what's going on actually matters, and where the crowd are invested in everything, but I find that the people I'm most invested in are those I know from elsewhere, there's not really anyone that AEW have taught me to like.

It really highlighted how essential Chris Jericho is to them in his promo introducing The Inner Circle, as it was the first time anyone except maybe Cody got a "this is this person's name, here's a one line summary of their character" introduction.

Jericho’s line to MJF taking the piss out of him for wearing a scarf was absolute gold. Cody looked great punching the window out as well.

Another easy to watch episode that was fun. Would like to see more video packages or wrestlers exploring cities with cameras etc 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Were we watching the right show? There was no Moxley/Kenny build at all during this show and there was an Adam Page promo? I know I did some skipping during the screen-in-screen commercials, but I didn't catch a glimpse of any of this.

Apart from the opener, which was indyriffic junk food, and the brilliant Cody/Jericho angle, this was a pretty weak show. None of the characters really feel important, and most of the matches were just there. 

The show was also quite a struggle to stay with due to the pacing being off. Match, match, match, match, most of them with no on-screen build or backstory. This is TV wrestling in an arena, not a PWG show in front of 500 people; give me a reason as to why these people are fighting. Video packages, interviews, tale of the tape, anything.

The women's division needs an overhaul, and fast. Britt Baker is no where near the level they think she is, and she looked terrible in her outing with Jamie Hayter (who looked a helluva lot better than Britt). That Brandi angle was fucking laughable as well, and her being anywhere near the ring at this point is a giant no-go.

As Bomber Pat said, knowing who these guys are pre-AEW helps me get through these shows but man, this episode was a real drag and felt lifeless at some points. Is the shine wearing off? Also, we've now been through four weeks of AEW TV and Jon Moxley hasn't been given a live mic yet. Fucking hell, the state of it.

Edited by Accident Prone
grammmaaarrrr

45 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Were we watching the right show? There was no Moxley/Kenny build at all during this show and there was an Adam Page promo? I know I did some skipping during the screen-in-screen commercials, but I didn't catch a glimpse of any of this.

This happened on the Fite app after the show went off air, assume it’ll be shown on Dark or a video package next week