The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The Lucha Bros are money.

The only real story in the women's division involves Bland Baker and Bland Bea who's priority seems to be Stardom. They need to permanently lock more people down.

Even Riho is splitting time between AEW and Stardom. It's going to cause drama eventually so AEW may as well just bite the bullet sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing things will finally pick up a bit once Shida finishes up in Japan. But even then the division is in a weaker state than the rest of the promotion.

What the hell happened to the TJPW/DDT deal?

• Paid Members

I know they want to shy away from WWE style 20 minute promos, but the shows need more world-building and character development, especially in the women's division. One match per show, with no promos for anyone else, isn't enough to establish the division.

They set up a Brandi Rhodes/Awesome Kong alliance, but then the only time we've seen Brandi on TV is as Cody's valet. They teased a Kong vs. Kong match, and haven't referred back to it once. They had a Battle Royal full of women we've never seen again. Nyla Rose hasn't been seen since she lost to Riho. 

The only rivalry they really seem to focus on is Bea vs. Britt, neither of whom have impressed in AEW, nor have they dedicated any time to telling us why they hate each other. In their first match against each other, we were being told that they were somehow simultaneously great rivals, but that they'd never fought each other. How does that work? Show, don't tell.

• Paid Members

By all accounts you won't be seeing those high-flying monks and martial artists from OWE that Matt Jackson promised either. There's been folk in the business digging up the dirt on the promotion and, with the collapse of the OEW-UK tour, all signs point to the Chinese lads (a great bunch) not making their way over to AEW.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

By all accounts you won't be seeing those high-flying monks and martial artists from OWE that Matt Jackson promised either. There's been folk in the business digging up the dirt on the promotion and, with the collapse of the OEW-UK tour, all signs point to the Chinese lads (a great bunch) not making their way over to AEW.

That's a real shame if true. From the initial press conference, that was the thing I was most excited about from AEW - I honestly think the OWE roster are to modern wrestling what the cruiserweights in WCW were to the mid-90s, just a quantum leap forward in what fans' perceive as possible within professional wrestling.

It does look like everything's gone tits up across the board for OWE, though, so hopefully some of them find their way via other channels.

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

A hold or pin that breaks the plane of the ring is still invalid, and the referee should still call it as such, the only difference is that the referee can't disqualify a wrestler for refusing to break the hold 

But in a lot of matches, they treat it as though the referee can DQ the wrestler - otherwise why is he counting to five?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

But in a lot of matches, they treat it as though the referee can DQ the wrestler - otherwise why is he counting to five?

In this specific case, It's just a simple verbal communication from the ref that ropes are still in effect. I think if she didn't count to 5 for the hold but also didn't count pins that are in the ropes, it muddies the water a bit in terms of how a ref should react. Reacting like that adds consistency.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

This tends to be a matter of preference that varies from promoter to promoter and referee to referee, but the way I would always do it is that I would still count to five to give the wrestlers a chance to break, and then step in to try and forcibly break the hold after I reach the end of my count. I don't think that a referee in a no DQ match should act as if the rules don't exist - they should try and enforce them, they just don't have the authority to call a disqualification for breaking them.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

That's a real shame if true. From the initial press conference, that was the thing I was most excited about from AEW - I honestly think the OWE roster are to modern wrestling what the cruiserweights in WCW were to the mid-90s, just a quantum leap forward in what fans' perceive as possible within professional wrestling.

It does look like everything's gone tits up across the board for OWE, though, so hopefully some of them find their way via other channels.

Yeah what happened there!?
I remember seeing clips and thinking the same thing - 'Wow these guys might make an impact the same way Rey, Ultimo, Juventud etc did in WCW' but...nothing....

Also what's going on with 'Wardog' or whatever that big guy was they ran a vignette for at their last PPV? God this promotion NEEDS some more big bastards.

Have to agree the women's 'division' is beyond piss-poor. Come on Omega, this is your department lad - sort it out! 

Marko Stunt... fine as a 'mascot' and the odd spot here or there. As a competitive threat? Not buying it, personally... and I'm glad he got booed for flossing. Cut that out you little turd!

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Also what's going on with 'Wardog' or whatever that big guy was they ran a vignette for at their last PPV? God this promotion NEEDS some more big bastards.

Completely forgot he existed, which isn't a good start.

I don't think Marko is being booked as a "competitive threat", though. He's clearly positioned as a little guy, out of his depth, who gets a lucky move. People presenting it as if he's being booked as a world-beater are being disingenuous. The time he's spent in the ring and mostly been him getting thrown around by other people. He's Spike Dudley.

Haven’t watched this weeks show yet but they’re overdoing it on these tag matches, I understand there’s a tournament taking place to crown Tag Champs but then you’ve got an additional two Tag Team matches on this show alone. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Haven’t watched this weeks show yet but they’re overdoing it on these tag matches, I understand there’s a tournament taking place to crown Tag Champs but then you’ve got an additional two Tag Team matches on this show alone. 

Don't you watch New Japan?

• Paid Members

If the tag matches are sufficiently different to one another, I see nothing wrong with that. Some of the biggest stars, and biggest potential breakout acts, they have are tag teams, and historically there's nothing unusual about a promotion/territory focusing on tag wrestling as much as, or more than, singles matches. 

13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Don't you watch New Japan?

I do but that’s not the point here and I’m not comparing them, tour shows are full of Tag Matches as they are essentially just house shows which build to single matches on the bigger shows.

AEW Dynamite is a TV show which is now just gone past it’s 3rd week, in that time there has been 8 Tag Team matches, if you include AEW Dark there has been 13 not to mention the dozen or what feels like dozens of tag matches they’ve put on for their PPV’s.

They’ve announced three matches for next weeks show, two of them being Tag matches. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a supporter of AEW, I hope they succeed but they just seem to have more tag teams then actual singles competitors, they should split a couple of them up at some point, Pentagon Jr and Rey Fenix could do wonders on their roster as singles.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I do but that’s not the point here and I’m not comparing them, tour shows are full of Tag Matches as they are essentially just house shows which build to single matches on the bigger shows.

It is the point. They're using tag matches in part to build to and save single matches and in part to build their tag division. There were 4 tag matches on the show. A squash showcase, two in a tournament and one star-studded brawl. None felt remotely like the others.

• Paid Members

We are being introduce to a new roster, many of whom have not had national TV exposure. This is a great way of getting lots of people familar with new talent. Have no issue with it to be honest. Or should they follow WWE TV and have Darby Allen v Jimmy Havoc in another match for the next 3 weeks?