The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Awards Moderator

I wasn’t as impressed by this week’s show. Thought there were a few too many unnecessary mentions or references to WWE, including in Jericho’s otherwise great promo. Riho still wrestles like a small pamphlet could do more damage if it landed on you - NXT has by far the superior women’s division which feels much less token than AEW’s - and I can’t watch Hager without seeing the guy from the new series of The Apprentice.

However, I thought the Bucks did a great job with Private Party, really enjoyed PAC and his accent on commentary, and thought Page and Guevara held their own with Dustin and Jericho in the main event.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The difference is that ECW fans weren't like that before it had even held one event. Some people had decided this was the promotion to end them all before they'd even announced a match.

And some people laughed at the idea of them running a successful PPV, signing Chris Jericho and getting a TV show on TNT. For whatever reason, they attracted love or hate from most people immediately.

Yet, if you give it a fair crack and judge it show by show, you're on the payroll. Funny crowd. 

The things that tend to bug me about AEW are when they do things that the WWE does that they really could do better. 

The crowd lights bug me because its shot when the WWE do it and they don't have to. But they've looked at that and decided to do the same thing. 

Wins and losses might matter but they're not particularly good at making the wrestlers matter. This is worst because they're such a new company. They've got even more reason to believe that the people watching might be seeing some of the wrestlers for the first time. They do some character introductions but could well spend more time on it. 

Ultimately though the interesting point will be in a few months time. They've had months and months to prepare for this, you've got to think they've planned out the first few months. The interesting bit is when they're in the gritty of it. 

12 minutes ago, CL Punk said:

I watched and enjoyed the second episode right up until my recording cut out in an ad break during the damn main event...that shit is as disappointing as a Bray Wyatt title match.

ITV don’t deserve wrestling.

In case you don’t know what happened at the end, the nWo and Team WCW got into a big brawl.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
On 10/12/2019 at 6:52 PM, tiger_rick said:

So over the top.

Most people on the roster have had, like, 3 matches. Pac clearly has the best case from his three matches for a title shot. However, he's also a heel and Pac/Jericho is absolutely not a match you chuck on free TV. So they've gone with Allin and Havoc for the throwaway title match and made sure Pac is pointing out what a travesty it is. What more does anyone want at this point?

My biggest criticism is that I wouldn't throw away title matches. I would barely have Jericho wrestle on free TV. But they want ratings so they'll do it. I wouldn't.

Excalibur made a point of saying that the Darby Allin/Jimmy Havoc match had already been booked before PAC's win over Hangman Page, so they're at least trying to make it logical. It does seem very early to start questioning/subverting something that they've hammered home as a selling point, though.

I agree about Jericho wrestling on free TV at this stage, and definitely not in title matches. Him being the best promo in the company, and having an entourage surrounding him, gives them the perfect get-out to still have him showing up but not wrestling. That said, a match like Jericho/Allin probably isn't going to sell PPVs, but Allin will benefit from working with Jericho, so I'm in two minds about it. 

Enormously unscientific approach to determining if AEW is having an impact - I sat next to a bloke on a flight to Jersey yesterday who was wearing an AEW Cody T-shirt; first time I've seen one in the wild, and completely divorced from a wrestling show context, and I got a message from a mate in his late 40s, who hasn't watched wrestling regularly in over ten years, saying he put Dynamite on when he got in from the pub, loved the Young Bucks match, and thinks "Jurassic Express" is the best tag team name ever.