The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Just now, tiger_rick said:

I think you've identified that as nonsense yourself. Janela isn't marquee anything. He's a useful little character to have about and he can go but he's a solid JTTS.

When I watched All-In, my big take away was that, presented the way he was, with that music, Penelope Ford, the swagger and that ridiculous match, that Janela should be a star. He just came across as that guy who is dangerous and unpredictable because he genuinely loves being a fuck up.

Of course, Penis druids, losing a ton and that Pythonesque 'fight' with Enzo will pour water on that, but for a moment, a moment, I believed Janela was a star.

• Paid Members

I think Joey Janela is definitely in the upper regions of AEW's "below main event" tier, particularly when in that kind of "hardcore" environment, so Janela vs. Omega could be something that would have got eyes on a PPV card.

But "AEW Dark" is a new thing, and I think they're trying to ensure it gets a lot of views in the early going. If Dark is nothing but filler and "not good enough for TV" matches with zero consequence, no one will watch it. If they can convince people early on that you'll get big matches you won't see anywhere else, it's worth it.

Yeah, they are building a brand so they need to give us a reason to watch Dark. As far as throwing away a big match, it isnt an issue if they have big matches for Omega planned out for the next few months. They need to give the guy some wins at the moment anyway

I’ve been hugely critical of JR on pretty much every show that he called pre-Dynamite but these past two weeks I honestly don’t think he’s been bad at all. It might just be the window dressing of Tony and Excalibur that’s making him seem less shit but regardless I’ve been enjoying him much more lately.

I’m particularly fond of when you can hear him coaching Excalibur live on air. This week it was something to do with Emi Sakura, Excalibur mentioned she was a Japanese legend but didn’t elaborate on it at all only to be met by JR practically yelling at him “but WHY is she considered a legend?!” prompting Excalibur to spill more details on her background. I just thought that was great.

Havoc is pretty naff but if his role is to put guys over then I can live with that. AEW needs some designated upper midcard jobbers and he's just about a good enough fit for that role imo.

No one is going to cry about Jimmy Havoc being "buried" at least.

AEW should start using local jobbers here and there. Would be a nice break between the bigger matches.

13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Havoc's promos are 100x better when he's just being a mouthy prick, rather than leaning in on the goth stuff. Just let him be a nasty bastard.

We chatted about this on our podcast (cough) - Havoc could really benefit from being 'banned' from TV. Throw out a 'Too Violent For TV' T-shirt or something and advertise how his deathmatches can only be broadcast on PPV because he's so hardcore or something. Keeps him off telly but keeps him relevant.