The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

AEW still certainly feels fresh.

I like that we're not getting the same people competing every week.

In WWE it feels like everyone has been around forever and we have seen every match combination at least 50 times.

Omega & Janela apparently had a really good match to air on "AEW Dark" next week too.

I think a lot have already said though, the real test will be to see what it's like at the turn of the year to see if any of the buzz has worn off.

Enjoying it for now though.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Absolutely agree with @tiger_rickabout JR. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Tony Schiavone though, he’s been phenomenal so far. I wasn’t a fan during the Monday Night Wars, so I didn’t hear him back in the day. I didn’t know what to expect at all, but he’s been an MVP for AEW so far, every bit as important to that product as some of the top in ring performers for me, he’s really adding to the product.

There's more of that revisionism around Skiavone. He has been awesome in this and I've enjoyed bits and pieces of him popping up in the last 20 years. But the reason he hasn't been anchoring a TV show was because in the dying days of WCW he was absolutely terrible. He was the voice of a dying promotion, his credibility was none existent and he was woeful on the call. Not suggesting he should have been blackballed for that but there's a reason no one wanted to touch him. TNA should have changed their mind after two weeks of Tenay.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

There's more of that revisionism around Skiavone. He has been awesome in this and I've enjoyed bits and pieces of him popping up in the last 20 years. But the reason he hasn't been anchoring a TV show was because in the dying days of WCW he was absolutely terrible. He was the voice of a dying promotion, his credibility was none existent and he was woeful on the call. Not suggesting he should have been blackballed for that but there's a reason no one wanted to touch him. TNA should have changed their mind after two weeks of Tenay.

Indeed. Let's not forgot Tony was pretty much out the business a few years ago and was, apparently, unaware there was any goodwill for him.

Anyway, decent show once again. As you should expect, there is still a lot of work and feeling out to do, but the little additions are enough to make the show fresh enough to make a decent show worth your time.

Jericho was phenomenal on this. Came across as a big star and, like a pro, did tremendous work selling his new group. Sammy Guevara has such a natural smugness to him that it's going to be impossible not to boo him; reminds me a little of The Miz, in that regard. However, Jack Swagger standing there looking like Phil Jones' cousin dressed for a night out at his local club, is never going to cut it no matter how hard they keep telling me he is.

The main event delivered what it should have. I like that they've went 1-1 with standing tall, which is against WWE's usual "person that is losing gets the shine on telly". Little things like this make a difference.

I'd like to see more talking and video packages. Something to let the wrestlers sell themselves.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I think towards the end of WCW even Schiavone himself was getting fed up of what he had to say and watch, so sounded jaded during commentary. I've always rated him as an announcer, probably due to my formative years being spent watching WCW Worldwide with him and Jesse Ventura. 

I may have to try and reset my Sky box and try to drag them down on catchup to give them a watch. I get Virgin next weekend though, so will be able to fill my boots on wrestling product. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I know it's not their fault, but watching on FITE and hearing Justin Roberts try and warm the crowd up like a shit Butlins host during the breaks is taking me right out of it.

I quite liked that. The bit where they were showing everyone’s signs on the big screen was a nice distraction during the ad break. Far better than just going for another silent wide shot of the arena. The problem is how tame Justin Roberts is. They need someone like Jeremy Borash or Don West out there, really going for it, giving out T-shirts to the loudest fans, seeing which side of the arena can make the most noise and doing a big countdown to when they’re back on the air.

On the subject of Justin Roberts, I was happy that he gave Moxley the big, “JOOOOOOHN!” that he used to save for John Cena. Still none the wiser as to why his does the time calls like a frightened cartoon mouse though. 

I think what sticks out the most for me is how ordinary Kenny Omega comes across.
I didn't see his New Japan stuff so was expecting someone really special based on all the hype and he just seems ... he comes across really goofy and hokey... I'm not seeing 'massive superstar / best in the world' Kenny Omega that I heard about for years.

Opener was amazing and glad Private Party won. Am slowing warming to Darby Allin - let's see what Jericho can do with him. Havoc is just all shades of shit though, he really is. God help us if he is 'one of the best the UK has to offer'.
Agree that Guevara is awesome as the cocky little prick. Him with Hager as his back-up could be fun - Guevara starting shit and Hager being the muscle defending him.

AEW's womens 'division' is... not good. Am willing Hangman Page to do something to make him seem like a star. He looks like he should be but just isn't... yet.

It had its ups and down but was decent enough to keep me as a viewer for next week which is the most important thing. 

Agree on the Schiavone love, he's someone I always wanted back and he is sounding great.

I really like the entrance presentation, it reminds me of WCW where they would zoom right into the wrestler so they could speak to the camera. 

The brawl at the end was great. Jericho is really motivated and it is bringing out his star quality too. The Inner Circle is also a decent name although no need for the hashtag to flash up before he is even finished his sentence. 

Moxley I've already got fed up with, he just feels like Ambrose again for me. Spears, however, looks about 4 inches taller on this show and just in general far better. Omega, I could do without even being around - he hasn't lived up to his hype one bit. 

Private Party really made a fan out of me although I would have preferred the match finished with probably the best Shooting Star Press I've ever seen than a lucky roll up. There was no requirement for the extra 30 seconds of action in that match and it made the win seem lucky rather than a hard fought victory. 

Womens division is just something I'm not interested in at AEW. They'll need to try and do something about that. 

As I say, I'll be watching next week and that's what's important. 

Eating my words on not being totally into AEW's universe pre-Dynamite, with the content resigned to one off special/supercards and the social media stuff. 

Now that they've got a proper telly show with a visual identity, big crowds, and traditional but entertaining story telling I'm on the bandwagon. Second week Dynamite's been highly enjoyable for me. It just looks and feels like a proper ongoing promotion in only the way a good weekly TV product can deliver. Same reason Impact was a viable alternative from 2006 onward. Even during the maligned four sides Hogan/Bischoff era. It just felt like a proper #2 was on TV for the first time since WCW, and I was in. Same here. 

Jericho's the best thing there. Immensely enjoyable. La Champion.

A diet of Dynamite and NWA - keeping the newz and online discourse to a minimum - doesn't sound too bad for weekly wrestling. Bit of back to basics markdom. 

• Paid Members

Great show, and lot more in-ring heavy than the last. I was a bit burnt out by the 90 minute mark but my attention span is not what it used to be.

Private Party vs Young Bucks, the Jericho/Inner Circle promo, the end schmozz were all superb. Haovc/Darby overstayed it's welcome a bit, and Mox/Spears really needed a Mox promo to go with it, but other than that the only weak point was the women's tag which didn't do it for me.

They clearly want Britt Baker as the face of the women’s division, she’s awful.

So awful in fact, Bea Priestley is more skilled then her.

Goes to show regardless of people’s opinions/complaints everyone here is posting in the AEW topic and not the NXT one.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Really good opener and happy to see Private Party going through. I know this is probably me overthinking things, but why were The Young Bucks the #1 seed? Which to my knowledge hadn’t been mentioned previously. Shouldn’t Dark Order, the undefeated team with a bye into Rd2, be the top seed?

Jericho showing that he can be great when he wants to be, but he did show that all you have to do to pop that audience is basically say “state of your creative mate!”. Inner Circle are a good group though with a good variety 

Havoc/Allin- biting, lots of biting is how you get around them not doing the hardcore stuff all the time.

I don’t like Riho. I’m sick of hearing about her weighing 98lbs. We get it, she’s tiny. Didn’t think much to this Tag match at all.

Old Man Yells at Cloud Moment- Talk of modern chants has already been mentioned, but holy fuck what is it with fans at ringside standing up the whole time? Sit the fuck down!

Mox/Spears was OK, but that’s just Spears in a nutshell, he’s a safe pair of hands and nothing more.

Decent enough Tag main event, and I honestly wouldn’t be against they doing Dustin v Jericho at whatever PPV follows the upcoming one. When MJF inevitably turns on Cody it’ll really cement him as the top heel.

Only main negative for me was that they’ve ended the show with a massive brawl 2 weeks running, but I’m still really enjoying the show overall

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Something occurs: surely they can't have the MJF turn on Cody go exactly as people think it will? We've all seen it coming, MJF's even talked about it in promos - it would make Cody and everyone around him look like the biggest mug since Sting if he ended up getting blindsided.