The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

30 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Christ that four way tag on Dark was dreadful just spots for the sake of spots 

Then again I feel like I’m on an island on my own with these matches

Thought Riho vs Nyla was the best match on Dynamite by far

The 8-man tag? I agree. Didn't do much to further anything at all, other than feature a few teams from the tag tournament.

Thoroughly enjoyed Allin/CIMA. I thought the women's tag match was decent. The 6-man tag was good...I just hate Stunt and don't see why he's been paired with Jungle Boy and Luchasauras. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, iPumaPants said:

The 8-man tag? I agree. Didn't do much to further anything at all, other than feature a few teams from the tag tournament.

Thoroughly enjoyed Allin/CIMA. I thought the women's tag match was decent. The 6-man tag was good...I just hate Stunt and don't see why he's been paired with Jungle Boy and Luchasauras. 

This was my first time watching Jurassic Express and I’m with you. Love Jungle Boy, love Luchasaurus, cannot stand Marko Stunt.

Though affecting the U.S, this might be one to keep an eye on...

The baseball TNT have on is slated to go long, meaning Dynamite could be broadcast on TruTV instead.

Its a late enough call that should the above happen many fans will tune into TNT, not find AEW, not bother to look for it and watch NXT instead.

It certainly makes the ratings battle from next week very interesting.
That is in respect of how many people they can recover after tonight from the likely lower number that were due to return after Week 1.

01:37am edit- Ultimately nothing to see here, it seems. TNT, it was, in the end.

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members

I think the wheels are slowly coming off the initial AEW buzz now we're only two episodes in. This may have partly been caused by the tremendous NWA show, but mostly not.

Jim Ross had a shocker tonight. Calling people by the wrong names, calling moves by the wrong names, stumbling all over the place and sounding bored of half the show. I hate to say it but they need to get shot of him if this is the effort he'll put in.

They need to have proper backstage interviews to showcase people, because this trend they have of showing a short video and cutting to an on-the-ramp chat for a minute isn't doing anything for me, and getting people who can't talk to do commentary two weeks on the bounce even less so.

Constantly pointing out how little notice you take of your own win/loss system and having the commentary say they don't understand it either isn't good.

I know it's not their fault, but watching on FITE and hearing Justin Roberts try and warm the crowd up like a shit Butlins host during the breaks is taking me right out of it.

The women's division is cack. Riho is over, and she looked good against Nyla Rose in that dynamic, but she must weigh all of 20lbs and she's got absolutely nothing going on at all. Bea Priestley is startlingly poor, Britt Baker looks like she has potential but she's still way below average, and that Sakura lass tonight could have fooled me she only started last week, never mind being a veteran. They really need to cut the weak Joshi shit and focus on the likes of Kong, Nyla and people who might have potential.

Omega and The Bucks aren't doing anything for me. Omega especially is a big wet fart compared to his potential and hype.

It's not all bad. Mox still looks like a star, though I think it's way too early for stables I liked the Inner Circle stuff, Darby Allin has "it" and should break through next week. Cody and MJF is keeping my interest and it's still a treat to hear Tony Schiavone. They need to do some squashes for the likes of Hangman, Pac, Mox and co because doing all this high profile matches is going to lose steam quickly.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it.

It was a solid, if unremarkable show for the most part but that final brawl was fantastic. It felt like Nitro at its best. Wild, chaotic, loads of characters and stories being interwoven, crowd going crazy and then a star-making spot with Darby flying down on the skateboard. Brilliant.

Another tremendous showing from Tony Schiavone. Every single person who could've given this man a job these past twenty years but didn't should hang their heads in shame. His voice added to everything all night long.

Great tag team opener. Fair play to The Bucks. They did everything they could to make stars out of Private Party. Surprised by the result, excited to see where it goes. Miss this feeling. Work still needs to be done in the production truck though. The cameras missed loads of spots in this match.

Love the Inner Circle. They've got a great look, they fit together well and they've got a leader in Jericho who looks more motivated than I think I've ever seen him. Sammy Guevara in particular has already gotten a huge rub from Jericho and is turning into a brilliant little prick of a heel. Very good promo. Chris looks to be having the time of his life not having to memorise a script and being able to improvise.

Darby Allin has it. Jimmy Havoc does not. OK match but I've got no interest in seeing Havoc in the future.

Orange Cassidy is going to be a huge star.

The women's match was probably the low-point of the show. I don't think Britt Baker is anywhere near as good as they seem to think.

Moxley vs. Spears was good but I wouldn't have put Mox with another ex-WWE guy for his first match on Dynamite. It reeked of Smackdown at the top of the hour. They've got to get a grip on this Kenny Omega thing, too. I get the impression this weird losing streak they're doing with him is their attempt to not follow in WWE's foot-steps, and to appease that section of dickhead fans who might cry online that someone is the, "chosen one," they've done everything possible to take the shine off Kenny and make him out to be a bit of a loser. Maybe it'll pay off in the end but so far it feels like they've got a great feud in Moxley vs. Omega, where both the promos and angles are delivering, but meanwhile Kenny keeps being made to look like a knob and it's dragging everything down. I've said it since this company started but it's truer now than ever before; Kenny needs to start winning some squashes as soon as possible. I wasn't a big fan of the barbed wire weapons, either. I'd much rather these two just cut promos on each other.

I'm glad they've acknowledged Pac's record being overlooked and are turning it into a storyline. Much like the silly non-DQ in last week's show, I've no problem with these things as long as they acknowledge them and try and make sense out of them on-screen.

Fun main event. Dustin and Adam Page make for a great team.

But yeah, what a cracking final five minutes. Brilliant brawl, fun use of the lights-out gimmick (I know they're overusing it but I always enjoy it) and babyfaces who actually have friends and get cheers from the crowd! Fucking hell, what a revelation! The inevitable 5-on-5 TV main event is going to be awesome and I adored the MJF tease, too. Whenever MJF eventually turns heel on Cody (presumably at Full Gear?) it's going to be the greatest moment in decades.

Thumbs up. I'm already excited for next week. Jungle Jack and Luchasaurus! Yes!

Edited by Supremo

I really enjoyed that show. The opener was excellent and the wrestling throughout was at the very worst solid. Agreed on Jimmy Havoc, his match with Darby was easily the worst of the night for me and I don’t quite understand what he brings to the table at this point, outside of a willingness to do ridiculous things in hardcore matches.

I really like the presentation of Shawn Spears, and I had no issue at all with him being Moxley’sfirst TV opponent. He feels far removed from the Tye Dillinger character for me at least.

Hangman Page seems decent in ring, but he’s the only ‘main character’ on the show that I dread seeing at this point. He’s just...boring.

Dustin Rhodes, on the other hand...I’d love to see him feud with Jericho for the title in the near future. There’s an excellent story to be told there. 

The surprise package for me so far has been Sammy Guevara. I knew very little about him until last week, and he didn’t initially strike me as an obvious choice for a heel, but he’s doing a great job. He looks and acts like a cocky little bastard and you really want to see him get the shit beaten out of him.

MJF/Cody is a great storyline too.

For me, AEW has produced two great shows so far and I’m genuine excited for Full Gear. It’s the first time in a long while where I’ve watched a wrestling show and felt like I can’t wait to see what happens next.

• Paid Members

Like Supremo, I thought it was solid overall. It started and finished well but dragged in the middle. 

Positive:

Hot opener. A total spotfest but a great showcase for Private Party, a colourful crowd pleaser and a surprise result.

Jericho interview. Did a really good job of building those around him. Enjoyed the nod to "the list". Also him burying "we the people" to stop the crowd chanting for a heel.

Allin winning. Match was ok but the result was the most interesting. 

Build. Much better job through little videos, packages and interviews of building some of the minor characters. They continue to build several things at once which feels completely different to WWE's isolated approach. They've got good focus on the destination which is the PPV but drop enough about the stops on the way to keep people looking forward.

Main Event. Another ok match but a good finish with all the run ins to pop the crowd. Allin on a fucking skateboard was hilarious. 

Negative:

Matches are too long. Some idiot was crying about squash matches on NWA. This is absolutely crying out for some to keep the pace up. Plus with those win/loss records on display, people need to rack up wins. The matches dragged the middle of the show.

Back patting. Commentary was fine overall but JR's constant back patting is insufferable. We know this show is different, dickhead. We can see the colour, hear the language and feel the crowd enthusiasm. Stop fucking telling us. And stop telling people how to connect with the fans. And stop talking about the lost art of targeting a body part in a complete spotfest.

Fans. Enjoyed their enthusiasm but those modern chants and cheering for everything and everyone annoys me. Minor gripe. 

Great episode - preferred it to episode 1! It just brings back the feeling of excitement I had watching Nitro as a teenager around 1997. I haven't been left wanting more aftet a wrestling show goes off the air for a long time, but AEW has achieved that 2 weeks in a row.

The Bucks v Private Party was just amazing, Havoc/Allin and Mox/Spears were both very good, so was the main event and I'm really invested in the Baker/Priestley fued.

Commentary was good, Jericho's promo was superb and I really like the Inner Circle stable name. The crowd was hot, which also helps and the closing brawl was a great way to close

Absolutely agree with @tiger_rickabout JR. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Tony Schiavone though, he’s been phenomenal so far. I wasn’t a fan during the Monday Night Wars, so I didn’t hear him back in the day. I didn’t know what to expect at all, but he’s been an MVP for AEW so far, every bit as important to that product as some of the top in ring performers for me, he’s really adding to the product.