The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Something occurs: surely they can't have the MJF turn on Cody go exactly as people think it will? We've all seen it coming, MJF's even talked about it in promos - it would make Cody and everyone around him look like the biggest mug since Sting if he ended up getting blindsided.

It needs to go on long enough that people are convinced it's not going to happen. Pulling the trigger now is far too predictable. 

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It needs to go on long enough that people are convinced it's not going to happen. Pulling the trigger now is far too predictable. 

Yeah was just going to say that.

I'd keep him as the cocky prick heel, but also Codys mate for the foreseeable future, with a bit of thought behind it can definitely work to a shocking conclusion.

I hope they introduce a "TV Title" in the new year, think MJF would be a perfect fit for being around that for a year.

I really enjoyed it. For the most part, I turned WWE off a few years ago, only really keeping up through 'dirtsheets' and occasional highlights, if I hear something good happened. My enjoyment of AEW is probably based on "It's not WWE, and it's the format of wrestling I grew up watching", but that's fine, because in my opinion, what AEW are putting out is mostly good.

I liked Private Party vs. Young Bucks, for what it was. It was a spotfest, with the usual YB spots mixed up a little and worked into the match in different ways (I'm so sure they'll suffer from being overexposed on TV weekly), and Private Party getting over well. For me, they lack any real personality, and that's a massive downer if you're....Private Party. The mulitple dives by Marq Quen were sloppy and a bit rushed. The SSP was beautiful and that's where it should have ended. Gotta protect the Bucks, though, right?

Jericho's promo was fantastic. Everything it needed to be. Reminded me of the introduction to Evolution. I wonder if the fans will stop with the 'We The People' chant, after Jericho's comment? He definitely stopped them in their tracks last night. I've been a fan of Guevara since I saw his quick shot in Lucha Underground. I think he's great, and his smug heel persona is great. I've had very little exposure to Ortiz/Santana, but they seem like a decent team, and contrary to most opinion, I'm excited about seeing what they can do with Hager. In my opinon, he was good in Lucha Underground, underutilised in WWE, and could be turned into someone worth tuning in for, and I expect Jericho will be the catalyst for that to happen.

Oh my God, I hate Jimmy Havoc. He's absolutely dreadful. That promo during his entrance was awful, he fails to make me believe in anything he does, and he looks shit. Darby comes across as actually quite mental, and has a bit of personality to go with it. Solid in the ring, and was the right choice to go over. Although there's no way he beats Jericho next week, I'm excited about the match.

I love Riho. I like Baker. I hadn't heard of Emi Sukura until last night, and I'm ok with that. I don't understand the Bea Priestley hype, I think she's awful. I'm very much in agreement with the general opinion here, that the women's division needs a lot of work. Riho vs Baker next week, for the title, should be a good match, but youre guaranteed Priestley involvement, and that makes me sad.

Ringside interviews with wrestlers, yes please. I like it. Keeps the show in front of the crowd. I will admit, I didn't 'get' Orange Cassidy to begin with, but he's great. 

Moxley vs Spears was good, for what it was. I've always liked Spears, and felt he deserved more, and hopefully he'll have a run with AEW worth talking about. It was a standard Moxley showing, wasn't it? Nothing special. 
I liked Kenny's inclusion with the weapons at the end. Very much a "I'm happy to do this in your world" kinda deal, after the coffee table spot. I think a lot of the problem people are having with Kenny right now is that he's a long match, long story guy. He's come out of a years long stretch at NJPW, and without a doubt, had some of the best matches ever, but these are 40-60 minute matches, where the entire story is told in the ring. AEW presents a very different approach, and you can't expect to see 'World's Best Wrestler' Omega putting on the world's best performances on a 2-hour show on TNT, or a 20 minute match with PAC on PPV. Give him time, and freedom, and you'll see something special. 
Hopefully they get his character in order, and he can show off just a little. 

The tag match main event was good, but not great...basic, I guess, is the right word. Hangman failed to show any real 'main event' promise, which is disappointing, but Dustin was standout the best man in the ring. Echoing other statements, Jericho vs Dustin, please. Hager getting involved on the outside gets the stable over as a unit. 
The postmatch brawl is very much building to a Inner Circle vs Cody/Dustin/Hangman/Bucks match (I like the exclusion of MJF. He's a heel, why would he want to help anyone but Cody, his best friend?). It did the job. Everyone who got involved had a bit to do. The lights off/on, Cody bit didn't really need to happen, it wasn't all that shocking, Cody was always going to get involved. That said, it didn't do any harm, either. 

33 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Something occurs: surely they can't have the MJF turn on Cody go exactly as people think it will? We've all seen it coming, MJF's even talked about it in promos - it would make Cody and everyone around him look like the biggest mug since Sting if he ended up getting blindsided.

Absolutely this. Let it go on a long time. They'll tease it like crazy, and then hopefully stop teasing it but keep MJF as a heel, and then 2 years down the line, boom. 

It has but I'm also questioning whether Omega has the chops to pull it off.

Perhaps not. But I'm not sure what they're actually going for.

I think a lot of the problem people are having with Kenny right now is that he's a long match, long story guy

Oh yeah. I have no doubt his PPV matches are going to be fucking brilliant BUT I don't get what they're going for with his character. Just put him in the long jacket and sunnies again and have him look the bollocks, cut promos etc. Kenny as a 'special attraction' would perhaps work

Luchasaurus or the guy behind the mask is a possible future world champion, that physique and he can go. He was apparently in NXT as Judas Devlin? I don't remember the name.

For the love of god, someone please teach Darby to fucking punch, the lad's got such a bright future but his punches still look like absolute dogshit,

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Luchasaurus or the guy behind the mask is a possible future world champion, that physique and he can go. He was apparently in NXT as Judas Devlin? I don't remember the name.

He was in FCW mainly, they released him after her got a hip injury in 2014, I just read a year later he finished 5th in the US version of Big Brother.

Thought it was a really good episode and was an easy watch. Nothing dragged but the only spot they are lacking on is the women. They’ve got a good division but need at least one real standout star and a big character to tie it all together. Would be happy for them to add ODB, Scarlett Bordeaux and Ivelisse 

1 hour ago, iPumaPants said:

Oh my God, I hate Jimmy Havoc. He's absolutely dreadful. That promo during his entrance was awful, he fails to make me believe in anything he does, and he looks shit. 

Yup. 100% agree. I need someone to explain his appeal beyond '...but, but, the London scene! Him and Ospreay!'. 
Yeah, okay... good for them. Don't care. I've seen him here and in MLW and do not get the appeal at all. Are we meant to be intimidated by him? He's an emo-guy in his late 30's who looks like a junkie that I reckon even I would have a good shot at of kicking his arse were I to see him outside a pub on a Friday night.
His match last night showed how woefully out of his depth he is when you take away the stapleguns and barbed wire. Biting? Seriously?
Nope. You're shit. Go away. 

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

KENNY IS A WEEB.

Ahem.

Anyway I enjoyed that more than last week to be honest. MJF saving Cody while still coming across a smug prick was wonderful.

I like how the matches are used to push the stories and feuds more than 20 minute promos.

Women's match was ok but like others here I'm just not sold on Baker. The "she's a real dentist" novelty has long worn off and all the remains is mediocrity.

Feels like they are killing time until Shida finishes up in Japan.