The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Yeah Moxley is continuing on his dullness in AEW. Can't seem to translate his personality from offscreen interviews and podcasts onto a main show. Just a giant meh. Pity. Jericho was fantastic, and looks like he is having the time of his life which always helps. Fair play to him.

7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Fuck knows what some of you watch. Moxley is tremendous. Chucking down the bat and walking off was the best pure babyface act on the show too.

Yeah I thought he was great in his match, dunno if people expected him to go full fire in a TV match or what. 

I also thought Havok was surprisingly good. He was dominant but didn’t overshadow Darby and played an important part in helping get the crowd behind the underdog. My expectations weren’t high, but I thought he was good 

Enjoyed that more than last week. Really good, steadily paced stuff. Blistering opening with the tag match and electric Jericho promo.

The Bucks had a great showing in the opener. There will always be parts of their game that wind me up, but this was about as perfect an opener and star making performance as you can get. Just a fun, high energy tag match that kept itself together, no bullshit with the referee losing control for the sake of spots spots spots for no reason. 

Jericho casually tossing off one of the best in-ring promos in years. The natural flow of the promos, commentary and the show in general is gonna make WWE all the more unwatchable going forward. I love Hager in this role. As has been said by many, they badly need some size and legitimacy on the roster, plus Jake is somebody that can actually get the crowd to boo Jericho. It also helps from exposing Jericho in singles matches where he can't quite deliver as you'd like. I think they've been smart with the likes of Hager and Shawn Spears by pairing them with more interesting people and not pushing them as the tippy top.

They've done a cracking job of getting Sammy, Darby and Private Party on the radar too. Just simple, effective pro wrestling.

Riho seemed like an odd choice for their first women's champ but after seeing what the rest of the division has to offer it's the best choice. She's impossible not to root for.

I loved the the way they're slowly introducing Orange Cassidy. The thunderous response he got for the limp thumbs up made him look like a superstar.

Echo everyone's praise for Tony. What a pleasure it is to hear him again. He hasn't missed a step and he's completely turned around this announce team for the better. JR wasn't as good or as enthused as last week but it's still the best he's been in years. 

I love how big and bright the show feels. The entrance way looks class and the crowds have been the business. I don't see how long the small, dark NXT shows are gonna hold up against this. It blows them away more than I thought it would.

Only thing that's letting me down is Moxley/Omega. I like the slow, steady introduction of their roster so far but I think this feud needs a bit more urgency. I think they've dropped the ball by having a star of Moxley's calibre not cut a live promo yet. Kenny Omega continues to baffle me. I'm starting to feel he needs a booker like Gedo to reign him in from his goofiness. I'd love to see a promo piece on him next week showing his work  and history in Japan, going over his accolades, show him at his best before giving him a squash/showcase match of some sort. 

That's two weeks on the trot they've left me wanting more. Exciting stuff.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

24 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

That's two weeks on the trot they've left me wanting more. Exciting stuff.

I cannot stress how important this is. It where WWE falls down, they never bait the hook (unless you count old star returning) 

It really is booking 101, give the viewer a reason to watch again. 

• Paid Members

I think/hope they’re going to give Moxley a live mic next week. Philly seems the perfect place for it. I can’t wait. Considering how good his promos have been in New Japan and on AEW social media, and taking into account how badly Jericho exposed the scripting of WWE promos last night, I can’t imagine it being anything less than a home run. Have Moxley cut a promo and have Omega savagely murder a jobber in less than five minutes. Perfect.

That’s the biggest thing. They’ve got so much in the tank for me to look forward to. Moxley interviews, the Jurassic Express, the Lucha Brothers, Young Bucks vs. LAX, Orange Cassidy comedy, Darby Allin becoming a cult hit, Dustin knocking shit out of Guevara. It’s the first time in a long time where I’m excited to watch more after the show ends.

By contrast, I’ve not seen last night’s NXT yet and I’m not at all bothered about getting around to it. I might just read the spoilers.

I know we’re only two weeks in but it already feels like competing against Dynamite was a disastrous move for NXT. Another overproduced, WWE-style product, with scripted promos, inside a dark warehouse, going against what feels like top-shelf 1997 Nitro, in huge, colourful arenas, with characters and promos that I’m genuinely excited about, where I don’t have to worry about my favourites moving to Raw or Smackdown and losing to Baron Corbin or Lashley.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

There was more storylines in the last 5 minutes of that than all 500 hours of WWE TV in the past week. Multiple clear, consice, simple and believable stories and characters with individual personalities and motivations perfectly intertwining, told by action rather than 15 minute scripted promos and setting up a whole bunch of matches to come. Proper pro wrestling, that. Loved it.

• Paid Members

Jimmy Havoc answers the question “Whatever happened to violinist Nigel Kennedy?”   

overall another strong showing, stronger then last week. And the fact I have now watched more hours of AEW then I have WWE speaks volumes to me.

and who skates boards down a ramp and doesn’t look completely awful? Oh, and more O.C. please, he’s gold

• Paid Members

I reckon Nick Gage would be a good addition. Outside the ultraviolence he's actually a pretty good wrestler, he's a unique character, can cut a hell of a promo, looks the part and has a certain charisma to him.

Jimmy Havoc is just not fit for mainstream wrestling. And he's probably 4 stone short of the 14 stone he's billed at.