The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Seratonin said:

Love to hear Omega's reaction to that. Developmental show only a fraction below their main program. 

Well, in that 22% is a fraction, that's true.

Oh, and they did more than double among 18-49s, which is the specific audience TNT is selling ads for.

• Paid Members

I'm not a big fan of Private Party - Excalibur at one point said they reminded him of the Young Bucks ten years ago, and I'd say that's pretty accurate, but not necessarily praise. They seem like they have a lot of the right tools, but are still waiting the one thing that will make it "click" and pull all of that into focus - a lot of the gimmick at the moment feels overwrought, as if they know what they want to be, but feel the need to remind you every few minutes, which always strikes as someone lacking confidence in the essential elements that make the gimmick work. The billed hometown of "a location where you need an invitation" makes me cringe, as does the gimmicked "vodka & cranberry" weight - both together just feels desperate - and their promo skills aren't in line with their physical charisma yet.
JR played an absolute shocker all night, but particularly in this match, where he kept saying things like "this young man" and "Nick Jackson's adversary" as he clearly had no idea what the wrestlers' names were.

I know it's a bit "old man shouts at cloud" to complain about dives - but fucking hell, this match. A suicide dive through the ropes is now such a non-event that the commentators didn't even stop talking among themselves to call one of them, and the entire psychology of a dive as a reckless, dangerous, desperate move where you're risking doing almost as much damage to yourself as to your opponent is completely lost when Marq Quen is doing four in a row. If you do four of something, all you do is make each one of those means a quarter as much as if you'd just done one and made it count.

I liked the Young Bucks losing - opens up the tournament, makes things feel less predictable, frees up the Bucks to get involved in other stories, and helps quiet any criticism of the bosses using AEW as a vanity project to put themselves over. It also recognises that the Bucks are in the position to put other talent over strong. 

Chris Jericho's promo was solid. He really showed what AEW is missing in terms of character development, by just taking the time to introduce every member of the stable, explain who they were, why they're there, and what they all set out to do. It was a real "who, what, why" promo, while also feeling like Jericho was having a lot of fun with it.

Not a fan of Emi Sakura being essentially an afterthought in her first TV match - not getting her own entrance, and trying to do her upbeat Freddie Mercury entrance to Bea Priestley's Hot Topic music didn't work at all. Britt Baker just doesn't do it for me, and Bea's not really any better, and while I like Riho, she was given nothing to really sink her teeth into here. Emi vs Riho is, for me, a far more interesting story than Bea vs. Britt, but that's not where the focus was. Sakura managed to get a lot of her schtick in, and at points was the only one holding this match together, so again it's disappointing that, story-wise, she could have been swapped out for any warm body.

Allin vs. Havoc was a bit of a waste of time. I'm not as down on Jimmy as most of you are, but he wasn't good here, and against Darby Allin is basically only ever going to look like an inferior version of Darby Allin. Jericho and Darby could be great fun, but I'm morbidly curious about what Jericho vs. Jimmy could have looked like. 

Moxley vs Spears was fine, but Spears still strikes me as someone playing at being a heel, if you remove Tully Blanchard from the equation. Just nothing he does feels believable to me, and that's only more apparent when you have him in the same segment as PAC, who's just so good at being unlikeable and bitter. 

Main event was good fun, and another clusterfuck brawl makes a lot of sense at this point, but they can't end every show like this. It feels like their formula at the moment is to do all the usual main event tropes (big spots, finisher reversals, close near falls) in the opener, and then the main event can largely bypass all that in favour of these big schmozzes.

Dustin Rhodes is such a star.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I know it's a bit "old man shouts at cloud" to complain about dives - but fucking hell, this match. A suicide dive through the ropes is now such a non-event that the commentators didn't even stop talking among themselves to call one of them, and the entire psychology of a dive as a reckless, dangerous, desperate move where you're risking doing almost as much damage to yourself as to your opponent is completely lost when Marq Quen is doing four in a row. If you do four of something, all you do is make each one of those means a quarter as much as if you'd just done one and made it count.

Only guy I've ever seen do that and make it work is Tozawa, who does three in a row, but that's mainly because his character is an absolute maniac who does all sorts of crazy stuff to beat down his opponent, including smashing himself up. At least that was the case in DragonGate - dunno how he's been in NXT.

• Paid Members

Unfortunately the crowd ramped up for every dive which will be deemed as a good spot. Fair play to the kid, he pulled them off great. Diminishing returns are everywhere though. Another reason I enjoyed the pace of that NWA show.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Worthits said:

Omega vs Janela is apparently shit hot, but have to wait until Tuesday to see on AEW Dark. 😥

Really weird to choice to have a marquee match like Janela vs Omega (stop sniggering at the back) happen on the post-show for a pre-taped recap show the next week. They could've easily sold a PPV on that or boosted a ratings number with some build. Very perplexing.

Edited by Accident Prone

I think a lot of the crazier 'stunt show' stuff will be on Dark if I'm honest. Should it be on PPV Garth? Well yes Garth, yes it should, but I think they realise that they've got guys who want to scratch that itch and it plays into the Mox/Omega story of them both trying to walk each other's path in preparation.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Really weird to choice to have a marquee match like Janela vs Omega (stop sniggering at the back) happen on the post-show for a pre-taped recap show the next week. They could've easily sold a PPV on that or boosted a ratings number with some build. Very perplexing.

I think you've identified that as nonsense yourself. Janela isn't marquee anything. He's a useful little character to have about and he can go but he's a solid JTTS.