The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, bigfoote said:

It was unsanctioned so means nothing with their win-loss thing.

Ooh, I actually kind of like this. I've always hated the "unsanctioned" gimmick, though that's at least a logical way of creating the distinction as to how it differentiates from a regular No DQ match.

It's still nuts to do that match with absolutely zero build, though. Why are they promoting an "unsanctioned match" between two guys with zero previous interaction between them? 

36 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Ooh, I actually kind of like this. I've always hated the "unsanctioned" gimmick, though that's at least a logical way of creating the distinction as to how it differentiates from a regular No DQ match.

It's still nuts to do that match with absolutely zero build, though. Why are they promoting an "unsanctioned match" between two guys with zero previous interaction between them? 

In kayfabe because Kenny hasn't been feeling like himself, so he booked himself in a match where he knew he'd be pushed to the limit in a bid to get himself out of the funk, according to the brief promo segment at the top of the show. I like the fact that they're integrating Dark into the storylines. It's a nugget for people who want to dig a little deeper. 

In real world, I think it's a clever way to drive live ticket sales. If there's a chance that they're going to drop meaningful surprises like this I'd be more amenable to attending live and sticking around.

If that match taught me anything about omega, is that he should Hidden as much as possible in 15 min max tag matches on tv, and allowed to do his 30 mins type matches on Ppv that show his strengths.

The difference in him is massive with that extra 15 mins to do more and build his style of match than fit him in something that makes him look ordinary than the fantastic main event style wrestler he is at present . Hopefully he can learn from others how to go shorter and impress, but he’s not showing he has that presently 

Just finished 'Dark', and whilst the first two matches didn't do much for me (don't get me wrong, they were good, just nothing amazing), the Omega/Janela match was fantastic.

It made perfect sense, to me, in both the chosen opponent and having it on Dark. 

1. Moxley showed AEW what he was about, in an unsanctioned match with Janela. Omega, clearly going down the "if you want hardcore, I can be hardcore" road, decides he's going to face Janela also, unsanctioned. He then goes on to have probably a better match than the Janela/Moxley match, picks up a win that doesn't affect anyone's W/L, but puts him in a position where he could have a fantastic hardcore style match with Moxley.

2. Putting this match on Dark made sense from an "anything can happen" perspective, puts more eyes on the YouTube show, puts the show over as being just as important to view as Dynamite, Plus, being unsanctioned, it has less of a place on the TV show (I'm aware Moxley vs Janela was on FyterFest, but that was pre-TV). 

It'll be interesting to see which stipulations they put on the Omega/Moxley match.

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

So you genuinely think they should be doing matches like that on Dark rather than saving them for PPV?

As a fan who just wants to be entertained, yes. Or am I supposed to enjoy the match less because putting it on Dark is apparently bad for business??

12 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

So you genuinely think they should be doing matches like that on Dark rather than saving them for PPV?

I think if they're gonna do them as a semi regular thing, then yes, you put them on Dark for no better reason than you aren't gonna freak out TV sponsors if it's not on TV.

Also as I said above, if you put meaningful matches on Dark it'll drive live attendance if the fans are confident that they'll get MEANINGFUL surprises.

Also, why wouldn't you use all of your programming to further your agenda? Be that win/ loss records or in this case furthering a story. 

• Paid Members

At the moment, big matches on Dark or TV are fine because they need to establish both. The danger is that they burn through big matches and have nothing left to sell on PPV.

I like the idea of Omega wanting to fight Janela to prove his hardcore credentials against Jon Moxley, but I shouldn't have to have that explained to me after the match has taken place. Put the set-up on TV. It would have taken twenty seconds of promo time.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I like the idea of Omega wanting to fight Janela to prove his hardcore credentials against Jon Moxley, but I shouldn't have to have that explained to me after the match has taken place. Put the set-up on TV. It would have taken twenty seconds of promo time.

When you say on TV, do you mean on the actual TV show? I would be wary of using Dynamite to promote Dark as a vital part of the experience - the biggest problem with WWE isn’t really creative, it’s overexposure and oversaturation which has the knock-on effect of making everything seem boring and stale.

If Dynamite instils the idea that you also have to watch Dark to keep up with storylines, it might turn people off who don’t want to have to add more wrestling hours to their week. I think it’s best as a bonus for the hardcore fans who do want more content. In terms of Omega vs Moxley, I think the interaction with the hardcore brawl and the weapons set the table nicely - Omega is gonna play him at his own game. Kenny taking a hardcore match with Janela to build to it makes sense without much further clarification needed, so the announcers reinforcing the motivation during the match is fine for me. Maybe a quick pre-match promo on Dark.