The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The Blade has somehow become one of the most solid workers in the company, he's the perfect lackey and JTTS and had pretty much said he's good with that job during shoot interviews. Any idea on the Butcher coming back?

Blade was the unsung hero of the Dark tag division before Butcher got injured. He had the thankless task of piloting overeager youngsters and his keen but clumsy mate through some solid TV-quality bouts. He's not flashy, but capable of it, and a rock-solid workhorse, who fits nicely in that midcard heel slot where he can eat some losses without losing his heat, because just look at him.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

And I thought they'd quietly shelved The Nightmare Family...

This must be one of the most pointless stables in wrestling ever, what do they actually do? If anything, being a member seems to define people down. 

This has been an ongoing thing on the Sammy Vlog for a while. Also, they had a member of the Nightmare Family wrestle Miro on Dynamite, which is why Dustin was out with him. 

• Paid Members

It's not a traditional wrestling faction or stable. They're just a group of loosely affiliated people whocome from the same training school. They're more like an MMA fight camp than anything else. It's not as if they're gonna be handing out 12 on 1 beatdowns or spraypainting 'NIGHTMARE 4 LYF' on people.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

And I thought they'd quietly shelved The Nightmare Family...

They shelved Brandi's stable on TV but the training camp aspect has been around the whole time. Whenever Lee Johnson is on TV for instance, they refer to it.

11 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's not a traditional wrestling faction or stable. They're just a group of loosely affiliated people whocome from the same training school. They're more like an MMA fight camp than anything else. It's not as if they're gonna be handing out 12 on 1 beatdowns or spraypainting 'NIGHTMARE 4 LYF' on people.

I don't think it's been explained well at all. I'm not even sure they've said that on TV. Don't get me wrong, I think you're right, I just don't think they've established the purpose or how it benefits the people involved. For the idea of a Rhodes training camp to work, almost two years into AEW's existence (keeping in mind that this has been around since day one), it needs to have some credible graduates, but it doesn't. 

I think Red Velvet actually loses something for being part of this collective. She'd been doing pretty well by herself, and while there are areas in which she can improve, I'm not sure being part of Cody's army helps her in any way. Particularly given that the tide seems to be turning on Cody in terms of fan response. 

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They shelved Brandi's stable on TV but the training camp aspect has been around the whole time. Whenever Lee Johnson is on TV for instance, they refer to it.

I probably worded what I said badly - I thought they'd shelved the idea of it being this ever expanding entity. Cody used to come out with a small army of people, and his "Family" would get new members all the time. That hadn't happened in a while, so I'd assumed, wrongly, that they'd given up on that concept. 

• Paid Members

Just read that Dynamite did 1.1 mil this week. Well deserved. That show was so good I watched all but the opener again this afternoon. My word the Elite are a glorious bunch of bell ends aren't they?

I genuinely got a bit choked up when Grayson and Uno held back the DO and the Bucks murdered a helpless cowboy. Until they announce something else I'm going to assume Meltzer is being worked about the All Out main event. I maybe wrong of course but doesn't Omega vs Christian feel like a good main event for the first episode of Rampage rather than All Out.

That trios tag was awesome. Kingston got a wonderful reaction that really warmed my hangover soul. All three of them are just wonderful badasses. There was a magical moment right at the start of Mox and Kingstons entrance where Kingston fist bumps and ruffles the hair of a little kid with a beaming smile. My word does Darby feel as over as any of them even Sting. 

It's absolutely bizarre that WWE seem to have little to no idea how to use a legend to build current talent. At this point it almost feels like Sting is getting the rub from Darby he's so over.

Miro is so great that one day I hope they release a bluray comp of him just squashing fools. The the god gimmick is marvelous because he genuinely feels like he believes it and he's so tightly wound that he's bordering on unhinged.

Some times I feel like I'm the last Cody fan. Yeah I fully agree with alot of the criticisms over the last year but for one reason or another I still like the guy and its moments like the main event which makes it worth while. A stonking main event. Black was put over like a million bucks. Brilliantly done. Imagine having Black on your roster and not knowing why you should push him? Mental. Infact I think I'm going to watch the match again.

I can't wait for next week. Rampage starting next week is a god send because I desperately need at least another hour of AEW in my life each week. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DEF said:

ome times I feel like I'm the last Cody fan. Yeah I fully agree with alot of the criticisms over the last year but for one reason or another I still like the guy and its moments like the main event which makes it worth while. A stonking main event. Black was put over like a million bucks. Brilliantly done. Imagine having Black on your roster and not knowing why you should push him? Mental. Infact I think I'm going to watch the match again.

Rest assured, you're not. He's definitely deserved some of the criticism he gets, but he's a very good promo, and I think very likable. He gets an utterly deranged level of fault finding these days, someone in this thread accused him of hogging the limelight after his match with Black which is just such blinkered thinking it's unreal.   

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm absolutely fine with it. It doesn't take up much, if any TV time, but gives them a bit of an identity and a reason to be on the shows. Besides, some of them aren't even signed, so it'll likely help them get Indy bookings too.

It's one of them things I really like about AEW. They are really good at getting people in the right positions, even if they aren't necessarily going to push them right away.

21 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Rest assured, you're not. He's definitely deserved some of the criticism he gets, but he's a very good promo, and I think very likable. He gets an utterly deranged level of fault finding these days, someone in this thread accused him of hogging the limelight after his match with Black which is just such blinkered thinking it's unreal.   

To be honest, I think Cody's biggest contribution to AEW is that he IS so likeable. He comes off brilliantly on social media, etc, never gets into arguments with Cornette and co. A lot of the socially responsible stuff AEW does has been credited to him and Brandi as well. Of all the EVPs, he's by far the best choice to represent the company.

The feud with QT really dragged him down though. I'm hoping the feud with Black heats him back up again. I also want to see him get involved with the rest of the roster. Surely, as the one babyface EVP, he should be doing something with the Elite?

Bit of a ropey beginning to Jericho/Juvi, but they got into a groove relatively quickly. 
I’ve seen some people giving out about the match because “it wasn’t up to what they used to do in WCW”. I know right, it’s almost like they’re both 20+ years older than they were then, fucks sake.

Were those 2.0 lads on NXT recently?

Apparently Kenny’s Cookie Monster T-shirt was a CM Punk reference. Anyone?

He still has the odd moment of being a right curmudgeon, but JR has been noticeably better since they went back out on the road.

Malakai Black - what an entrance. I know there will plenty that hate his theme music, but no-one else in the big two has got anything like that so it sets him apart. 
Fucking Cody Hogan in the post-match though. “I fired them, they didn’t fire me” - that didn’t get the reaction you hoped for did it? 
Hopefully he doesn’t win the return match either, because that’s not going to do anything for Black if that happens.

A very good episode on the whole though.

• Awards Moderator
15 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Were those 2.0 lads on NXT recently?

Apparently Kenny’s Cookie Monster T-shirt was a CM Punk reference. Anyone?

2.0 were called Ever-Rise on NXT. I think they only ever made sporadic appearances though, and usually lost when they were on TV.

Cookie Monster's initials are CM and I think I saw somewhere that Punk once joked that his CM stood for 'Cookie Monster'. It's a tenuous stretch of "Mephisto is DEFINITELY showing up in WandaVision because there was a fly on screen" proportions but there you go.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

627E4508-B1A9-437B-8010-7B4D5C60E1E4.thumb.jpeg.232b4d5d1696f244c9785299195cbb57.jpeg

Between the Cookie Monster shirt on Omega, the Bollywood Boyz shirt on Anderson and the Ric Flair robe on Gallows, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to see hints and Easter eggs. I’ve even seen some suggest the Hawaiian shirts on the Bucks could be a hint at Wyatt. At the very least, it’s nice to have a pro-wrestling company where cute subtleties like that are at least a possibility and you have the confidence in them to plant seeds or make clever references. In WWE nothing counts unless Michael Cole lifelessly screams about it.

”YOU KNOW WHAT COOKIE MONSTER COULD MEAN, DON’T YOU PAT? CM! CM!! CM PUNK!!!”

Even with a lacklustre lineup this was another belting show that flew by. Fair play to Cody. He’s meandered for almost a solid year and I’ll never truly get over how bad that Ogogo thing was, but when he’s on he’s on. He made Black into a superstar there. Hopefully this becomes an annual thing where every Summer he gets absolutely demolished  before filming another TV show. Huge fan of Schiavone going full Joe Rogan and trying to interview a concussed man, too.

The jury’s still out on the Hangman thing. They did the best they could coming off last week, it was certainly interesting, and the heat of last week’s result rightly feels like it’s on The Elite as an on-screen act rather than the company itself, but I don’t know. I’m still not convinced they can get back what they had. That was lightning in a bottle and they’ve took a huge risk cooling it down to come back to later. There’s only so many times you can go up and down on the rollercoaster before you feel sick and want to get off.

Miro is the best. I could watch him squash chumps forever.

Darby Allin makes me feel like a kid again. I remember whenever a new pro-wrestling video game would be coming out there’d be a few guys I couldn’t wait to play as and certain moves I couldn’t wait to hit. I haven’t felt that way in decades but now I can’t wait to play as Darby in that AEW game and hit his ridiculous suicide dive.

Do we think they flat out announce Punk before the 20th to ensure as big a rating as possible? Or do they trust the intelligence of their fan base that the hints should suffice?