The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Didn't mind the quieter show this week. I was kind of expecting it, to be honest, and enjoyed it for what it was because regardless of what happens in the next few weeks it feels like everything's going to go a bit mental from here. 

I agree with the sentiment that having Christian wrestle Omega for the Impact championship just throws the All Out match into more doubt, which is decent booking to keep us guessing. Maybe they don't know themselves, yet. A lot could be changing internally at the moment with the crowd situation, new signings, TV deals etc so I wouldn't necessarily hold it against them if it's all a bit up in the air internally. As @BomberPat said, there's a lot of problems here that are great for a decent booker to work through. I have chilled out on the Hangman zealotry myself. I think with all that's going on, parking it for a month or two is perfectly fine as long as he does get that moment eventually. The destination's more important than the journey in this case. 

I'm certain someone must have brought it up in a terrible themes thread before, but the Good Brothers really do have one of the all time worst pieces of music in wrestling, that still also succinctly sums them up. Lumbering, rhythmless, sucks the air out of the room. They do that constant camera winking, real life eccentricities, put-it-on-something-we-can-sell-on-ProWrestlingTees thing just like virtually everyone outside the WWE system nowadays, but whereas - say - the Bucks do it to great effect, Gallows and Anderson seem to just ride on the coat tails with it. They always seem to just sneak into the back of the limo before the door's been shut, and then you're just stuck with them for the ride. Their level is taking on the Heartthrobs at a 2006 Raw PPV. 

MJF stripping Jericho not only of his Judas Effect but also his music is the sort of wrestling logic that I love. No music will make him weaker!

Never a fan of commentators being put in compromising situations - especially lovely Tony - but if I was in the arena I'd be booing whoever's doing it so I guess those angles are just working me. Still don't like to see it, though. Something about seeing broadcasters get held up by big bully boys just depresses me. 

Felt like Britt Baker's finally had her proper coronation. She's a star now at least on par with how the Horsewomen initially got over around 2015/16. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I'm certain someone must have brought it up in a terrible themes thread before, but the Good Brothers really do have one of the all time worst pieces of music in wrestling, that still also succinctly sums them up. Lumbering, rhythmless, sucks the air out of the room. They do that constant camera winking, real life eccentricities, put-it-on-something-we-can-sell-on-ProWrestlingTees thing just like virtually everyone outside the WWE system nowadays, but whereas - say - the Bucks do it to great effect, Gallows and Anderson seem to just ride on the coat tails with it. They always seem to just sneak into the back of the limo before the door's been shut, and then you're just stuck with them for the ride. Their level is taking on the Heartthrobs at a 2006 Raw PPV.

Absolutely my thoughts sat watching this show. Firstly that it's dreadful and secondly that it really suits them. At best, it makes for good heels because no-one is going to cheer these two dullards.

2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

MJF stripping Jericho not only of his Judas Effect but also his music is the sort of wrestling logic that I love. No music will make him weaker!

Surely the crowd sing him to the ring instead. How great will that be? Agreed, great move.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Feels pretty cheap though. Especially if you're trying to sell your first new show. They've been pretty good at not doing shit like that.

yeh but thats how it used go be done, use the show before the PPV to tease the match you get on the PPV? what good does it do giving the match away for free 2 nights before they ask you to pay for the same thing? especially when its a match (Christian/Omega) which hasnt been done before.

I know AEW fans likely wont care cause its all about the match quality and the more long matches the better, but it seems like basic promotion to me.

27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Surely the crowd sing him to the ring instead. How great will that be? Agreed, great move.

That could go horribly wrong, have you noticed when they focus on a crowd member they always sort of trail off in the middle.......

I'd be up for Sammy doing his sign shtick with the lyrics on it though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Think I've only even had a bit of buffering once on Fite in 2 years. Sounds like you've been pretty unlucky @Accident Prone I use Android app and Chromecast.

Sound. I've heard that the Chromecast is the most stable so I'll try that out. The Samsung TV app is extra shit because you can't fast-forward properly or even resume from where you left off, and to stream directly to the TV is a BETA option on the app, which might explain the issues. Fingers crossed for the Chromecast though, because it felt really chill to just get up, make a coffee and sit on the sofa with no faffing inbetween.

On a more on-topic point, man did Dante Martin look fucking great!  One of my favourite tropes in wrestling is when an unknown or lower-card wrestler gets his chance with the top dogs and blows everyone away. He barely got a reaction coming in but they were chanting his name by the final bell. Incredible professional wrestling!

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

On a more on-topic point, man did Dante Martin look fucking great!  One of my favourite tropes in wrestling is when an unknown or lower-card wrestler gets his chance with the top dogs and blows everyone away. He barely got a reaction coming in but they were chanting his name by the final bell. Incredible professional wrestling!

Yeah I wasn't surprised by the low key reaction, but when he got the hot tag the crowd went bananas! It was so refreshing to see someone get a crowd to do such a 180 like that. It is the exact thing you could expect to get back in the day in WWE but you never see now. Really just shows the difference between the products.