The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

7 hours ago, 5pints said:

Don't know what everyone else was watching but that Jericho opener was a clusterfuck! 

It wasn't a pretty match but I didn't really expect one as Juvi has been a bit of a mess for years from what I recall. That said with the story around the match and MJF on commentary I didn't think the match needed to be too much as most of what made it interesting was the verbiage from him and the announce team. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, simonworden said:

It wasn't a pretty match but I didn't really expect one as Juvi has been a bit of a mess for years from what I recall. That said with the story around the match and MJF on commentary I didn't think the match needed to be too much as most of what made it interesting was the verbiage from him and the announce team. 

But if you're sat in the crowd watching it you don't get the verbiage, you get to 40-50 somethings trying, and failing, to have a cruiserwight style match.

20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

But if you're sat in the crowd watching it you don't get the verbiage, you get to 40-50 somethings trying, and failing, to have a cruiserwight style match.

True but I wasn't in the audience and its first and foremost a TV show. Those watching live get to make noise and enjoy themselves while watching a wrestling equivilant of an aging rock band play an old hit at a festival. It probably isn't as good as in there prime but with some beer and/or your mates it's still a good crack.

That's what I love about AEW, I have fun watching it so a 'poor quality' match doesn't matter if it still felt like something enjoyable to watch because of everything around it. 

Edited by simonworden

Average punter in the crowd couldn’t give a toss about “match quality” or could tell you they were trying to do cruiserweight spots. Majority of people who go to wrestling don’t over think that stuff, they just want a fun night out 

3 hours ago, simonworden said:

That's what I love about AEW, I have fun watching it so a 'poor quality' match doesn't matter if it still felt like something enjoyable to watch because of everything around it. 

Yep, they're doing a hell of a lot right at the moment. When they started I worried it'd be a load of overly serious Meltzerbait matches and little in the way of characters or general nonsense. But the TV shows fly by because everything feels like its going somewhere. I worried the win/loss record stuff would push them towards shite 'pure sports' presentation and generally paint them into corners booking wise but even that's clicking. Christian's winning streak might've passed unnoticed otherwise but now there's something extra to all his matches as the crowd know he's due a title shot if he maintains form. I'm actually excited about bloody Christian in 2021.

• Paid Members

Not a "big" episode of Dynamite this week. Wasn't built like some of the recent ones and didn't have the card set going in to excite anyone. Clearly a set up for the debut of Rampage on Friday.

That ovation for Britt Baker was one of the best moments in the promotion's history. Leaning completely into someone's home town shouldn't be novel but it feels it these days.

Loved what they did with the opener. Could easily have been a squash. But instead, they slowly built an incredible spotlight on Dante Martin. Could hear a pin drop when he walked out, crowd was wetting themselves for him ten mins later. Just great laying out there.

That BTE entrance was so douchey. The absolute pricks. Kenny and Christian at All Out just doesn't do it for me. Putting a PPV main on TV next week is a dumb move so I'm still hoping for shenanigans. Not sure any match matters now though, that we're not getting what we want. 

Low key but I really enjoy the Death Triangle and Andrade set up. Fenix and Penta dressing in normal clothes with masks while Pac is still in his trunks really tickled me. "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" popped me too.

A setup show for Friday and for next Wednesday, which looks a good card already. Still a very fun couple of hours. Every winner was right except the Hardy mob. I'd happily sack everyone if them. Send them to NXT.

Edited by tiger_rick

1 minute ago, The King of Old School said:

Omega vs Christian at All Out set. Get in the bin.

They also face each other on Rampage on Friday too, sounds like such a WWE thing to do.

It makes me think that they won’t be doing it at All Out. Maybe there’s going to be a beat down or something, before Punk comes out.

I think/hope it’s a case of announcing an underwhelming opponent before an exciting one is announced instead, to take away the feeling of Punk ‘stealing’ Page’s All Out spot, while also giving Christian a reason to feel bitter, given that he had to win matches to earn a title shot.

Definitely a weaker show this week, and I have to say, I preferred the Andrade/Vickie pairing to Andrade/Chavo. He takes away from Andrade’s coolness, and Vickie, at the very least, felt very business like and didn’t really say much. Andrade would be more enjoyable as a solo act, than he is with Chavo.

Dante Martin was seriously impressive, and I’d be absolutely fine with him getting a singles push for the time being. He’s seriously talented.

16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Andrade's coolness dissipates anytime he tries to cut a promo in English, painful.

That's not it for me. I'd buy the character if he was just speaking broken English or even just Spanish with subtitles. It's having Chavo cut him off after a couple of words and then go rambling on that makes him look a buffoon. I mean, Jesus, just have it revealed that the PA guy is feeding the subtitles machine from his iPad or something!

They're not doing Christian at the PPV. Not if they're having the same match curtain jerk their B show. 

2 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

That's not it for me. I'd buy the character if he was just speaking broken English or even just Spanish with subtitles. It's having Chavo cut him off after a couple of words and then go rambling on that makes him look a buffoon. I mean, Jesus, just have it revealed that the PA guy is feeding the subtitles machine from his iPad or something!

They're not doing Christian at the PPV. Not if they're having the same match curtain jerk their B show. 

I think they are, but I think it will be in the middle of the card somewhere if CM Punk is debuting, another WWE trope.

Ideally I would like Christian to snap after losing at Rampage and take out Jungle Boy leading to a PPV match between them, could have JE come down to counter act the Elite interference or something but Omega still wins amidst all the confusion.

No idea who Omega faces at the PPV though if something like that happened, far too early for the new boys to be getting title shots.

I thought I had the All Out PPV mapped out in my head but just seen they are doing MJF/Jericho next week thought that was a shoe in for the PPV, along with Cody/Black but that was last week.

I'm not liking this uncertainty about the All Out main event. They had it right there perfectly with Hangman. I don't know what they're doing with Christian, especially with the Rampage match. I'm sure it'll work out but it all feels quite last minute at the moment.