The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Other than Cody being Cody, this was all enjoyable stuff and progressed things nicely.

Jericho is dangerously out of shape, but the opener told a good story and the top rope Judas Effect was a thing of beauty. MJF in his blue suit with a sea of thumbs downs behind him was an awesome visual. 

The six man tag was pure wrestling joy. Just the lads having a having a good time and kicking arse. I've never seen Daniel Garcia but I think I'm already a fan. Him and Darby should have a cracker next week. Loved Darby's new entrance animation too, just another layer to his unique star power.

The Elite are such awful dickheads. I love how not a single soul is cheering for them. They've kept the focus on Hangman, but I wasn't feeling it like previous weeks, which is a worry.  

Jesus, that freak injury to Cash was nasty. Loved the video package to spice it up and Dax does a good fired up promo.

Leyla Hirsh seems cool but I'm finished with ice-cold exhibition matches in the 7th quarter hour. Give me character development and stories please. The Britt/Red Velvet segment was more like it. Two good talkers cutting promos on each other in the middle of the ring. Velvet's "I used to be enhancement talent" line was shite.

Dan Lambert next week! Thrilled to see they're bringing him back. I'd never heard of the bloke until he showed up on Dynamite and cut the best heel promo in years. I wouldn't mind him as a regular Jim Cornette style agitator. 

The presentation of Black was spot on. I'm not the biggest fan of his act but you can't knock his ring work. His style is so unique and believable. But yeah, Cody is annoying as fuck. I can't knock how he put over Black, excellent stuff there. But everything is a big rah-rah speech with this guy. Just unnecessary, self-important, syrupy bullshit that nobody is buying. This is why people are starting to boo him. By the time Black cracked him with the crutches I'd tuned it out.

• Awards Moderator

I’ve been listening to ‘Cult of Personality’ on the train tonight and my god, if that song hits in Chicago… it’s going to be absolutely thrilling. It could be an all time great moment. I can’t avoid the pun, I am all in on Punk coming to AEW. 

(I then listened to ‘The Final Countdown’ and I hope so very much that if they’ve managed to get Danielson as well, that he’s going to use that song again. Thrilling!)

• Paid Members

Am I the only one who thinks the "Best In The World" tease is going to turn out to be for Danielson? It was his gimmick first after all.

I'm sure Punk will make an appearance but he hasn't wrestled since 2014.  Expecting him to have a match that'll live up to this level of hype is a bit much surely? Imagine if he blows up after a few minutes?

19 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I'm sure Punk will make an appearance but he hasn't wrestled since 2014.  Expecting him to have a match that'll live up to this level of hype is a bit much surely? Imagine if he blows up after a few minutes?

Wasn’t he working on some wrestling TV show with Stephen Ammel last year? That could’ve knock some ring-rust off for him, but I wouldn’t expect him to going 25+minutes in his first match back

33 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Am I the only one who thinks the "Best In The World" tease is going to turn out to be for Danielson? It was his gimmick first after all.

To be fair, the track records of wrestlers coming back after lengthy absences in recent yearsis pretty good.

I can’t think of anyone from the top of my head who hasn’t been able to perform at a high level, although I’m sure they exist. Look at Daniel Bryan, Edge, Christian and Shawn Michaels - and they had all come back from serious injuries. Then you have someone like Brock Lesnar who had an outstanding match with John Cena upon his return. Heck, Ricky Steamboat looked fantastic when he came back for his short run. 

We’ll see what happens when the bell rings, but I imagine Punk will do just fine.

• Paid Members

Why was Juvi wearing a mask? It irked me when the commentators described him as one of the fasted luchadors, because if he is then they've been watching their CMLL tapes on a long play video recorder by mistake. 

You absolutely know when (if?) Page wins the title the Dark Order will be right there the celebrate with him. 

What did he look like in them socks? I was waiting for JR to slip up and refer to one of 2.0 as "Hardy" given that they ere called Matt & Jeff. They could totally have a trios tag title as well. Sting looks like he's having a great time. 

Christian might have to rethink his "Out. Work. Everyone." gimmick when Danielson arrives. 

Looks like that Elite segment has written Page off TV for a while? 

Miro has managed to turn himself right around. This God's Favourite Wrestler thing and the Redeemer is money. 

JR seems to be a fan of Kamille. That'll be an interesting match when it happens. Presumably on the undercard of EmPowerrrrrrrrrrr as I can't see it  ring above Mickie James & Deonna Purazzo on that card. 

Presumably Cody's off to make a TV show, then will return to get his win back. I would have done a stretcher job rather than that nonsense where he's teasing retirement with his cheap pop promo. It was funny that they gave him the na na hey goodbye treatment. Why they couldn't have done this next week or on YouTube or something I don't know. 

I thought it was an alright show. Interesting to see where the Elite/Page/Christian stuff goes next week. Presumably next Wednesday's Dynamite will be all about getting eyes on Rampage. Miro was impressive though. 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Why was Juvi wearing a mask? It irked me when the commentators described him as one of the fasted luchadors, because if he is then they've been watching their CMLL tapes on a long play video recorder by mistake. 

I thought the same. I know WWE threw a mask back on Rey Mysterio Jr too and pretended it never came off, but I thought it was sacrosanct in Mexico once the mask was off?

Juvi was dreadfully exposed and felt bad for him badly recreating old moves like it was 1998 Monday Nitro. I suppose it shows why wrestlers have to adapt to punch/kick due to age/injuries, Jericho being a case in point.

I fucking hate how the Liontamer is just a simple Boston Crab now though.

Did anyone else notice how shit/cheap the NWA women's title looked btw?

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I like the idea of the picture of the champion on the belt, but I know what you mean. 

As long as Monday on BTE we see what was on the disc Page left when he collected his drink in the lair. Has to be a plan that stu and Uno are in on 

I'm hoping they drag out the CM Punk thing without addressing it right through the whole of Rampage driving the crowed mental doing CM Punk chants etc and then literally have him hop the barrier or something right in the last 60 seconds of the show when people are huffing off as they think he hasn't arrived. Would also make a great lead into Dynamite to find out what happened after the show finished. 

On the “Juvi in a mask” thing, I assumed it was specifically done for this match - with Jericho having been the one to unmask him all those years ago, it seemed like more of a gesture of disrespect against him. Almost like dismissing his previous victories over him and refusing to acknowledge it.

• Paid Members
On 7/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, BrodyGraham said:

I don't know how much of that video is meant to be Easter Egg for future AEW stuff but it's worth noting that the inmate who injured End by pushing his eye into the stairs was called Matthew. Buddy Murphy's name on the Australian Indies, was Matt Silva. Murphy and End are mates by all reports.

Could be something, could be nowt.

TAFKA Buddy Murphy has just posted this to Twitter:

Whether it'd be something that played out in AEW or elsewhere, somewhat interesting that he's gone for an "inmate" theme here.

(I say somewhat because he's not the first to use that theme to tease general "freedom" from the non-compete.)