The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I can’t remember the last time anyone looked as good in defeat as Dante Martin did in that opener. The amount of talent this company has simmering for the future is crazy. I love Hangman Page more than some of my immediate family, but is it any wonder they want to keep all the belts on The Elite and drag this act out as long as possible? These lads are the fucking best right now at not only being wildly entertaining but also making everyone around them look incredible.

Huge 1997 energy.

Edited by Supremo

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The timing doesn't work if Page is off for paternity reasons but him costing Kenny the Impact belt to Christian, then the AAA belt leading to Kenny calling him out would be a great way to get the belts off Kenny with heat and get around the fact Page lost the big tag match.

They could run the same spot as the Jan 4th Raw - loads of interference, people brawling everywhere, Kenny sets up for the One Winged Angel, Hangman's music hits, Buckshot, drag Christian onto Omega and have Christian win the belt. 

The Elite then take Christian out the next week and he offers Page his shot (or he goads Omega into giving him the shot). 

I don't know what they're doing for All Out, I'm up for Omega/Christian if they want the Punk match to be the focus and I think most people would've been well up for it when Christian first returned but I didn't expect them to do it this week too. It's maybe not so bad if you have shenanigans tonight and stick them in some sort of stipulation match at the PPV, maybe a cage match or something but even then there's the issue of Omega potentially losing before he faces Page.  Can they really do anything other than that match again at this point though?

Same situation with MJF/Jericho being on Dynamite next week and not at All Out. 

While I’m sure All Out will be a great show, I must admit that I feel less enthusiastic about the card than I did several weeks ago.

It looked like we were getting Christian/Jungle Boy, Omega/Page, Jericho/MJF and Cody/Black. And we either got them on free TV or, well, likely won’t get them at all. 

I mean, I’m all for a great TV match, but I do like having stacked mega-events to look forward to. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I’m all for a great TV match, but I do like having stacked mega-events to look forward to. 

It's likely that All Out will have Punk vs Darby Allin, Jon Moxley vs Tanahashi and the end of the Jericho/Inner Circle/MJF/Pinnacle story. Those three alone are BIG. Throw in a tasty Bucks tag, Miro defence, Britt Baker vs Thunder Rosa and Andrade vs Pac it'll be an absolute fucking stormer.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Most reputable sites now reporting that Hangman’s deal is indeed due to his wife giving birth and it was the plan all along for him to take this time off.

I just don’t believe it. It’s too jarring. Someone’s either being worked or they’ve dropped a massive bollock here. What could they have possibly thought was going to happen pulling the trigger on their top babyface, leading to one of their biggest shows, only to swerve it at the last second in favour of Christian? Russo as fuck.

That reaction to Christian on Wednesday said it all. You could feel the air getting sucked out of the room. Poor bastard can’t catch a break. First his debut is completely overhyped, then his big title match comes after they cock tease what everyone really wants. And to do this weird pre-match tonight before the proper match at the PPV? Massively out of character for AEW. Everything has felt off since Hangman didn’t kick out in that ten-man-tag. It’s heartbreaking that for a company I had so much faith in, we’re now all collectively doing that tragic thing everyone did leading into Wrestlemania 35. “It won’t actually be a Triple Threat involving Charlotte, they’ll book themselves out of it. Kurt’s retirement match won’t really be against Corbin. They’ll book their way out of it.”

It’s time to admit there’s no grand plan here. They’ve just shat the bed.

At this point, they should just call an audible and go with Omega vs. Punk at All Out. I know they want to protect the prestige of the Title and the ranking system, but who cares? Call it a super fight. Have Omega demand it. Have Punk’s music hit tonight to distract Omega, resulting in Christian winning the Impact Title, so Omega calls Punk out for next week. Whatever. Just give me a match that feels worthy of the big show. It’s the least you can do after leaving me with worst case of blue balls over Hangman.

I can't even get excited for Punk if it's still against Darby, completely skipped his match this week as it just felt wrong.

But yeah, none of the matches bandied about have me chomping at the bit. It's wild how damp things feel so soon after such a run of amazing shows.

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I just don’t believe it. It’s too jarring. Someone’s either being worked or they’ve dropped a massive bollock here. What could they have possibly thought was going to happen pulling the trigger on their top babyface, leading to one of their biggest shows, only to swerve it at the last second in favour of Christian? Russo as fuck.

Yeah it all just feels so out of place for a company that has been doing so damn well at long-term storytelling. It'd be one thing if he got unexpectedly injured but I just can't see why they'd book it all like this if they knew this was coming. Something seems off.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

It’s time to admit there’s no grand plan here. They’ve just shat the bed.

I think it's very likely that the new plan is Hangman vs Omega at the big New York show.

Punks return draws a huge buy rate and Hangmans big win draws a huge TV rating is surely what they're hoping for. 

Edited by LaGoosh

Similar to what I think @DavidB6937 said, I'm not liking this uncertainty. It's the second PPV in a row where the world title match feels a bit all over the place and the card in general is up in the air. The shows are still fun and I'm looking forward to Rampage tonight, but Page/Omega had the kind of emotional investment I hadn't felt since the Becky thing got fucked up. I find it hard to believe this was the plan all along. The arrivals of Punk and Bryan surely spun things in a different direction.

And fucking Christian? God bless him, I think he's really good and he's been put in a bad situation. But he's dry as fuck and TK massively overestimates his appeal.

Ah, lads. I know we're a fickle bunch but I'm still along for the ride. AEW have not transparently done anything to erode my trust here yet. The TV is still a ball every week and the best is yet to come. 

Imagine thinking during that first All In show that you'd be worried three years from then that CM Punk and Daniel Bryan might rob the spotlight from Hangman Page during his time off because his wife's eggo was preggo! 

I'll keep the faith unless Punk comes through the crowd and says "You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here!"

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think it's very likely that the new plan is Hangman vs Omega at the big New York show.

Punks return draws a huge buy rate and Hangmans big win draws a huge TV rating is surely what they're hoping for. 

I think you’re correct that Hangman wins the Title in that gorgeous New York arena and I agree that it makes sense to spread everything out a bit and not make the one PPV too heavy. “Loads of stuff to look forward and build towards,” is a nice problem to have.

I just wish that if this was the plan, “all along,” that they hadn’t kickstarted the home stretch of the Hangman angle if they planned a six to eight week speed bump right in the middle of it so he could do the night feeds.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong and they’ve got something even bigger and better for when they bring Hangman back. I hope they do. It’d be fantastic if they played with our expectations after years and years of WWE stop-and-starts. I just can’t think of anything more perfect than those first few angles and then that fucking incredible entrance with the matching bandanas.