The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Looks like a potentially great show tonight to be fair.

Still not sure what they're planning on doing with a lot of their roster at All Out in just over a couple of weeks though. That's probably one of the only things AEW could still improve on as a lot of their PPV cards do feel like they're put together at the last minute.

Edited by AndyUK

• Paid Members

Still not a huge fan of some of the PPV card, I think it's suffered from the other big stuff happening but I do think they're doing a great job week to week of putting out TV that has eventful matches, builds Friday's show, builds next week's show and builds the PPV. It's not easy but they're doing really well.

Couple of lines really cracked me up. QT Marshall's "Houston, we have a problem" was brilliantly douchey. Couldn't help but laugh. Also enjoyed Jim Ross claiming Callis's suit cost $23.95 with a coupon from Sears before immediately saying "Nice suit, Don" when he put his headset on. Classic.

Ethan Page is an absolute twat. And is utterly brilliant. Glad to see him and Scorp back.

Right guy won the main event. Right people won all of the matches to be fair. Fans got a few great moments to enjoy but the heat went where it needed to.

I genuinely cannot wait to see the Young Bucks drop those titles. Haven't felt like that for 20 odd years.

Edited by tiger_rick

That was a fantastic episode of Dynamite. That crowd was red hot, just their reactions to everything was making me grin like an idiot.

I was initially a bit pissed off by the Moxley bait and switch but the tornado tag easily made up for it. Sting looked fantastic and Darby walking down the wall and practically having to dive over that big lad on the front row looked really cool. They used the "Darby is so close to being the best in the world" soundbite on the trailer for tomorrow's Rampage. He's GOT to be facing Punk, surely?

Shawn Spears vs Sammy was so, so good. That could have easily been a main event. Shawn Spears. Main event calibre match. Jesus. The two of them have great chemistry.

Dan Lambert is gold. Other than the last time he appeared on Dynamite has he had any other experience in wrestling or just MMA? What a fucking promo he is, he needs to be featured more often. Get him managing an MMA style guy in an anti-wrestling gimmick now.

Why couldn't Starks have been the face instead of Cage in the Team Taz feud. He looked like a superstar walking out and the crowd really wants to cheer him.

Actual goosebumps for the whole of Jerichos entrance. MJF panning the camera round to Jericho on the outside was really cool. Enjoyable main event and like Rick says, the right guy won.

QT and Big Show? I think the less I say about that the better.

Shawn and Sammy really surprised me. Probably the highlight of the night for me and then the tag match which was always going to be fantastic.

As has been said many times before, Starks as the heel against Cage is just odd and I'm not buying it at the moment. They're going to have to do a lot more to win me over.

The 'ref distraction' spot was a little overused and it always felt too long and not very natural. It's a difficult thing to execute and not look completely stupid.

I'm going to be grumpy again and say I wasn't that fussed about Jericho's entrance. You go from the Jericho Cruise stuff which was all natural and unplanned and then they've basically dragged it out this whole time and then completely manufactured a 'moment' which just doesn't do it for me. But hey, loads of people like it so it doesn't matter really.

I did think the main event finish was a bit weird though. Glad MJF went over but Jericho being worried about using the elbow when he'd already used a bat in that situation felt a bit jarring.

Really good show overall. Not one of their best for me but the crowd elevated everything and there's so much coming up over the next few weeks - but as others have said, a lot of the weekly TV stuff is actually looking better than the PPV at the moment. Bit strange but hey nothing wrong with putting out a quality TV product either. It's a good problem to have I guess.

A brilliant episode, I never skipped a single second which is unusual for me.

The Tornado was just all kinds of fun and Sting looked better last night than he did the last time he wrestled on TNT (Which by all accounts, him and Flair were sitting on the couch for weeks before).

Sammy v Spears was brilliant, I can't believe how good of a face Sammy has become considering he was such  a swarmy heel. I do wonder if Spears will ever break the glass ceiling though? He crops up with these gems now and again but he's not consistent enough.

Tag Title match was my favorite match of the night, Despite having 100% confidence Bucks were retaining i actually started to believe towards the end. I wish they would ditch Marko Stunt, he brings absolute nothing to the team and he doesn't fit their gimmick, they have 100% outgrown him.

Thunder Rosa seems to be going from strength to strength and Ford is getting 'back on track', a great showcase for both, could have easily have got lost amongst such a strong card but they held their own.

Main Event was everything it should have been and like others said the right guy won.

That was near PPV quality and one of the best episodes of wrestling this year, I actually think i will wind up giving it a rematch on the weekend it was that good (a habit  i haven't done in near 20 years), this show took me back to being a teenager and enjoying RAW and Nitro on Friday night's.

• Paid Members

How good must Sammy be feeling right now? Got to give his best friend a professional contract on Friday and proposed to his Fiancé last night, all in front of brilliant reactions from the crowd. Nit picking, but I would have liked to see the proposal after Sammy won the match, would have been a lovely moment.

I still can't get over how well Sammy is doing as a face considering how much I couldn't stand him when he first came in. 

That suplex on the trucks of the skateboard though....good god, I winced and arched my back as Darby landed.  

Also, fair play to The Elite, they really could have gone down the 'cool heels' route as in an NWO etc, but they are genuinely the most unlikeable bunch of pricks in all of wrestling, and its fantastic. The Bucks in particular have really stepped it up a gear with the outfits, showboating and hangers on such as Cutler. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

QT and Big Show? I think the less I say about that the better.

It's fine, no way that match is going to last longer than 2 minutes.

I think this week started off absolutely amazing but kind of went to shit in the second half but picked up again for a decent main event.

- Sting & Darby vs 2.0 might possibly be the best opening match on a weekly wrestling TV show ever. It's certainly up there. Good lord nothing but fun. 

- Absolutely heart warming moment with Sammys proposal and then a delightfully cuntish promo from Spears afterwards. I really enjoyed this match though I came out of it when Spears kicked out of the 630, that was just too much. I don't know how much longevity a Sammy face run has as there's just something about his face that is incredibly punch-able but he's doing good so far. I liked the nice touch at the start where Tully got involved before the bell rang and then as soon as he tried it again once the bell rang he was ejected from the match.

- Another incredible tag match from the Bucks who are on fire right now. Luchasaurus played his role perfectly - stay out of the way most of the time because he's shite but then come in for the big stuff. Perfect ending angle too. Everything The Elite touches turns to gold at the moment.

- After three amazing matches in a row the show had to come down a bit and I think pretty much everything after this was forgettable, dull or kind of bad.

- Show picked back up with that pure fire promo from Moxley. They need to give this guy a new big story. He's probably the best promo guy in the business.

- Main event was perfectly decent. Jericho's entrance moment was really cool. Jericho's in ring days are surely coming to an end soon. He's in this weird spot where his big moves (hurricanrana, lionsault etc) all look as good as ever but almost everything inbetween looks a bit sloppy and shitty. I can forgive that though because I love this story and have hugely enjoyed the 5 labors. I was actually very surprised by MJF winning, I assumed Jericho would win and they'd do something big at All Out. Intrigued where this goes from here as it doesn't feel quite done. 

- I felt like they were remarkably restrained about hinting at the possible debut this Friday. If I was in charge I would have pushed a bit harder.

- I don't think it's said enough how good AEW are at booking babyfaces and heels. After putting up with WWE's terrible booking for years now it's crazy how refreshing it is that all of the babyfaces in AEW are actually likeable, smart, cool and fun and all the heels are just horrible, uncool, cheating, nasty bastards that you desperately want to see lose. 

Had to check the timestamp when the Sting/Daby match finished - about 26:00 in - to confirm my suspicions that it was indeed one of the best opening half hours of wrestling TV ever. Two hot as hell, chaotic matches. Felt like (I know) the Attitude Era but in all the best ways possible. 

• Paid Members

Just an added mention for how happy Jericho looked with the crowd at the peak of 'Judas'. Whilst the tweet from AEW advising to sing the theme was very on the nose as discussed before, the moment itself was brilliant. Has that ever happened before? A crowd singing someone's theme without singing along with a track already playing?