The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

See, I used to think bringing in too many ex-WWE guys was a bad idea, but AEW so far have proven me wrong. Each one that has come in, has either linked up with, or heightened an existing AEW talent without overshadowing them. Other than Moxley, non of them have been pushed to the moon either over other stars.

Although, I'd rather they steer clear of Wyatt.

13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Matt Hardy has proved to be a fairly pointless addition

all feel very disposable, as does Matt Hardy and the HFO, outside of perhaps Private Party.

Sammy's first meaningful singles feud. Put over Page and Darby in meaningful matches.

Took on the managerial role with the HFO. That gave Private Party some direction after Top Flight and The Acclaimed usurped the hot young tag team spot. Also tied in some of the other lower card heels and has given the likes of Dark Order, Jurassic Express, and Best Friends people to bounce off.

11 minutes ago, Nick James said:

See, I used to think bringing in too many ex-WWE guys was a bad idea, but AEW so far have proven me wrong. Each one that has come in, has either linked up with, or heightened an existing AEW talent without overshadowing them. Other than Moxley, non of them have been pushed to the moon either over other stars.

Although, I'd rather they steer clear of Wyatt.

For me, until they give me reason to feel otherwise, I’m going to trust them. I would never have expected the signings of Jake Hager and Shawn Spears to turn out as well as they did, so I’m more than willing to be open minded about Wyatt and what they might have planned for him.

5 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Sammy's first meaningful singles feud. Put over Page and Darby in meaningful matches.

Took on the managerial role with the HFO. That gave Private Party some direction after Top Flight and The Acclaimed usurped the hot young tag team spot. Also tied in some of the other lower card heels and has given the likes of Dark Order, Jurassic Express, and Best Friends people to bounce off.

He also picked up unnecessary wins over Sammy, and I don’t think wins over Hardy did much of anything for Page and Darby. They were already flying high, and Matt just doesn’t have that kind of credibility.

HFO hasn’t done much for any of its members, and personally I don’t find them even slightly entertaining. If AEW can sign Jeff Hardy and reunite The Hardys, I’d be up for that. But as it stands I find Matt and his stablemates pretty dull. However, he’s probably not overpushed and his presence on the roster is pretty harmless. 

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

In fact, if I was to trim the roster, I’d ditch very few of them. Brian Cage, QT Marshall, Luther, Alan Angels, Yuka Sakazaki and Emi Sakura all feel very disposable,

QT and Emi's worth are as coaches. They are there to make the likes of Solo, Cargill and Anna Jay into really good wrestlers. 

Luther loses every week on Dark. The only reason he has a profile on the website is because of his friend. 

Alan Angels is a very decent pro wrestler 

Yuka was on excursion. She has no correlation to the other names on the list 

13 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Matt Hardy is a great example of how AEW are so adaptable. They brought him in doing a variation of his Broken gimmick, saw it wasn't working, and kept retooling him. Heck, he was hinted he was gunning for the AEW title, but they stop that sharpish.

His current role works, and it's easy to say he offers little value with the magic hindsight of getting Black, Miro and Punk.

BUT we also have to consider the value he offers OUTSIDE of the ring. It's always handy having experienced veterans working with younger talent. Imagine the wealth of knowledge he can give to those he is linked with in the back.

Hardy plays a role. Not everyone needs to be *GROUND BREAKING SUPER SIGNING*.

• Paid Members

Adam Cole's contract has officially ended with WWE, no word on an extension, but reports are he hasn't signed one.

The Bucks have changed their bio to a video of 'How to perform a seance' and Britt retweeted it with a đŸ¤” emoji.

Could this be one signing too far? It's hard to imagine a place for Cole other than as a Kip Sabian for Britt.

With Danielson still to come in, Wyatt heavily rumoured and now Cole, as much as I trust the AEW process, it seems to me that they could run the risk of flooding their own roster like WWE did. 

They have a lot of time to use with Rampage, Dynamite, Dark and Dark Elevation, but will people be happy to drop from Dynamite to Dark? I trust them, I really do, but I worry they may accidentally shaft themselves.

The tide has definitely swung in that it seems AEW is the place to be.

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

Could this be one signing too far? It's hard to imagine a place for Cole other than as a Kip Sabian for Britt.

I'm no fan of Cole, but I would be stunned if they signed him and he was relegated to a Kip Sabian-type role. I imagine he'd join The Elite, and be quite a prominent on-screen character from day one. 

I hope he surprises me, and he very well might - I would never have expected Ethan Page to do as well as he has, and there was a time when I would have said the same thing about both Hangman Page and Britt Baker. We'll see, I suppose. 

For me, I'd prefer to see AEW focus on making their women's division more prominent from here, and ease off on signing men. They have one of the hottest characters in wrestling in Britt Baker, but a fairly tepid selection of opponents for her outside of Thunder Rosa and Jade Cargill. 

Yeah, too much too soon. Maybe it's just me not being a fan, but the Wyatt and Cole rumours really concern me. I'd hate to see their own up and coming acts start to be pushed aside. Apart from QT Marshall. Push him in the swimming pool.

AEW is pretty awesome right now. Calm down a bit TK. Don't spoil it!

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Nick James said:

Adam Cole's contract has officially ended with WWE, no word on an extension, but reports are he hasn't signed one.

The Bucks have changed their bio to a video of 'How to perform a seance' and Britt retweeted it with a đŸ¤” emoji.

For anyone unaware, the 'seance' bit is because Cole was written out of BTE (back when he joined NXT) as being murdered by the Young Bucks. 

Cole is, on some levels, a really big signing for AEW - not because of his specific status or potential at the box office, but on a perception level. He's a guy that, it was being reported, WWE really, really wanted to keep. That's a pretty big deal, and not one you want to pass up. It's not just that they're bringing in ex-WWE guys who were released (TNA-style), but that they're poaching WWE guys that WWE want to keep. While CM Punk was probably the biggest version of that they could do, Cole is a pretty big get for them, and a big sign of momentum.

One thing AEW are doing well is cycling people in and out of the main shows. They're not bringing them in to be the main star week after week - they'll get a major match once a month or so, and they'll rack up wins on the other shows in the meantime. 

5 hours ago, Nick James said:

With Danielson still to come in, Wyatt heavily rumoured and now Cole, as much as I trust the AEW process, it seems to me that they could run the risk of flooding their own roster like WWE did. 

They have a lot of time to use with Rampage, Dynamite, Dark and Dark Elevation, but will people be happy to drop from Dynamite to Dark? I trust them, I really do, but I worry they may accidentally shaft themselves.

The tide has definitely swung in that it seems AEW is the place to be.

I really don't care about Bray Wyatt as I'm not that familiar with his work. But I'd be delighted for Adam Cole to come in. Perhaps joining up with Kazarian to take on the Elite - not difficult to write that feud. If he does come in, I really hope they get David Rolfe's "Something For You" theme for him. 

I'm convinced they are planning for Rampage to be a 2 hour show when they move to TBS. Maybe move it to Tuesday also?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Cole is, on some levels, a really big signing for AEW - not because of his specific status or potential at the box office, but on a perception level. He's a guy that, it was being reported, WWE really, really wanted to keep. That's a pretty big deal, and not one you want to pass up. It's not just that they're bringing in ex-WWE guys who were released (TNA-style), but that they're poaching WWE guys that WWE want to keep. While CM Punk was probably the biggest version of that they could do, Cole is a pretty big get for them, and a big sign of momentum.

AEW already have Jericho, Miro, Moxley, Pac, Andrade, Black and Christian. Now they've got CM Punk, the biggest possible get any wrestling company could do in today's age. Adam Cole isn't going to add anything to the perception of AEW which isn't already there. He's not a proper star.

With all there ex-WWE signings they fall into 2 camps. 1) Grizzled veteran who can bring up the younger guys or 2) unique and underutilised and massive potential. Cole doesn't fall into either category. He reached his potential in NXT and has little to offer.

Also, he's really really shit. I'm dreading him turning up.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
Just now, Infinity Land said:

Cole vs. Darby/OC/MJF/Jungle Boy/Starks/Wardlow/Sammy would absolutely fail to bring up some of the younger non-WWE talent.

What's to be gained from beating another generic Canadian Destroyer hitting vanilla midget? Dark and Dark Elevation are already filled with guys who can fill that spot.