The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I know its easy to get caught up in the AEW hype train but I've been watching wrestling since 1989 and I think this is probably the most consistently great wrestling show I've ever seen. And its mostly from just doing the simple things that make sense and rewarding your audience for paying attention.

13 hours ago, Supremo said:

We’ve had a few years of this company now. You can trust that if Moxley is cutting that promo now then he’s almost certainly wrestling Hangman and Christian in six months to a year. He’ll probably turn heel at some point beforehand, making it all make sense.

Speaking of slow burns. I notice no-one is slagging off Jamie Hayter now her massive biceps got some TV time. Sweet Jesus. The female Wardlow. She’s gonna be a superstar when she eventually snaps on Britt in about three years.

She needs to lose that cringe accent first.

Sounded like a chav Kiera Knightly.

I've not spotted it before but anyone else see the in arena closed captioning of the commentary booth? At first I thought it was a teleprompter for the team and that production had effed up but realised soon after what it was.. is this something they normally do or is it just specific to some venues?

Is it me or is the entrance set slowly losing pieces as well, I could swear the tunnels are being stripped down week by week? It's like they lose bits between shows or something.

I quite liked the metal frames version they use this week and I do love how the set has a different feel such as the ramp to the ring this week and in the past having one big screen instead of two smaller, higher up ones. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Is it me or is the entrance set slowly losing pieces as well, I could swear the tunnels are being stripped down week by week? It's like they lose bits between shows or something.

Just adapting it to the setting each time, I think. In some cases, there might be decisions made between seat numbers and set area.

Really enjoyed this show overall - sure, the Jericho singing moment was carefully set up, but it worked. And this whole storyline has worked well. Loved Moxley's promo. He's possibly edging towards a really nasty heel turn and I'm very there for that, or they're planning on setting up more fluid face-vs-face stuff, which... well, I'm also there for.

It's like the stuff with Britt last week. Allowing for totally biased crowds that isn't the whole 'welcome to bizarro-land' nonsense is a breath of fresh air. If everyone's over enough, it's fine for faces not to like other faces and to needle each other.

• Paid Members

I'm not ready for a Moxley heel turn. Not at all. Not that he wouldn't be great at it, he would, but there are still endless options with him as a singles baby, but above that I'd rather see him and Eddie on the face side of things have a blood feud with a heel Pentagon and Fenix. Plus there's a re-match with the Bucks that it would be criminal if it didn't happen. 

Anyway, I think it was Supremo that said it. It's like 1997 all over again. Except only one side is holding up their end of the bargain. I anticipate each show coming up, and Dynamite and now Rampage have become appointment viewing, with a party atmosphere. The second this restriction carry on ends with requiring isolation on return from the states, I'll be heading over to catch an AEW show before this candle possibly burns out. 

It might be dad weight or something else, but Mox looks like he's hulking up again and he looks great for it. Arms bulging out of that denim vest.

The whole promotion is a fantasy booking dreamland, and not just in the teen workrate moveset-vs-moveset sense. So many possibilities for crazy interactions and fun moments. Take the mix of Mox, Eddie, the Lucha Bros, and, by extension, Andrade. Mox going psycho on the Bros, and Eddie having to hurl himself in the way to protect his best friends, upending Mox vs Eddie from last year and playing into the exploding barbed wire death match finish. PAC trying to coexist with both Mox and Eddie vs Los Ingobernables de Elite. Heel Penta under Andrade's wing trying to lure Eddie over with promises of the life he always fought for but never had.

Greate show. Loved the look of the stage, with the big Windows media Player visualisation centre and the 'eyes' of the trons. Fantastic flow of promos and matches.

Sting is fucking back, isn't he? What a finish. It's been done before, but that added snap he gave it was absolutely brilliant. I love the dynamic of Darby and Sting they've built, both indestructible for different reasons.

Spears as the snickering heel patsy of the Pinnacle who can't win without a chair but still turns out 3.5 stars is fine by me. I also still find Sammy too smarmy, but he was in his hometown with the biggest face angle there is, so went down a treat.

Arn being terrified for his boy against Black next week was a masterclass in getting someone over without them being on screen.

Miro vs Eddie, just... yeah.

Great storytelling main event.

Bad stuff was the Dan Lambert segment taking too long, and it doesn't quite make sense to me why a guy who hates AEW and its 'millennial' mindset is apparently aligned with the biggest poser tag team on the roster. It also strikes me that every female wrestler is legit terrified of Thunder Rosa, despite the fact that she's objectively not very good. Her last few matches have been very much big cheer on her entrance, lost or dead crowd midmatch, big cheer when it's over. She's no Britt.

Re: Hayter, I'm yet to be convinced that her great new look isn't just better gear and bigger hair; it'll take more than her pushing her fists under her biceps arms folded to convince she's a powerhouse capable of handling Jade or Nyla. Standard limey promo from her, but I'd expect that at this stage.

Agree with @CavemanLynn regarding Dan Lambert. He's a decent talker but I've zero interest in MMA guys wrestling if that's what its leading to and if he's just going to slander the company why would you kayfabe give him a mic and TV time?

I hated all of the MMA stuff with Impact a while back. Tito, Rampage, King Mo, Barnett. I feel like it just doesn't translate and no one really cares. That might have just been because it was Impact though. 

• Paid Members

Miro Vs Eddie could be interesting. I winder whether it leads to Miro Vs Moxley?