The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Another home run episode. I agree that it got a bit muddled in the second half and for the first time in forever it felt like Tony Schiavone was actually used too much, but overall? This is the most consistently enjoyable pro-wrestling TV show I can ever remember watching.

The opening tag was a match of the year candidate. So much fun. Sting no-selling the table was fucking amazing. They have to do Darby and Sting vs. The Bucks before all is said and done, surely?

Great Tag Title match. Probably the best Luchasaurus has looked since those first few weeks in the company. What a run The Bucks are on. I was really surprised we didn’t hear a single chant for Hangman during that final beatdown though. I guess it goes to show how much people believe in their stipulations and what a good job they’ve done moving the focus to Christian. Good angle though. The Elite are such a fantastic bunch of pricks. Cute touch with Kenny’s “Chick Magnet,” T-shirt, too. I love stuff like that.

I’m so ready for Kingston vs. Miro. Genuine goosebumps when Miro mentioned him. Do they push it to the New York show? Is that Eddie’s big moment?!

Originally, I thought the lineup for this week’s Rampage was a bit soft. But then I realised that nobody gives a fuck about the matches on that show and it’s in their best interest to feature as many new and young faces as possible. Thankfully this gaff is ran by people smarter than me.

Fun main event. I almost feel sorry for Jericho in that he got full creative freedom and seems to be enjoying his work more than ever, but it came just as his body began properly giving out on him. Bar the big spots, he looks fucking knackered most of the time. Fair play to him for creating a storyline where it makes sense for him to look terrible, but still. You wonder how long he’s got left.

I loved Jericho’s entrance though. Between that, Sting in the opener and Sammy proposing, it was another great night for nice, happy moments. I think that’s why it didn’t bother me when they Tweeted out the lyrics for Jericho’s entrance. Sure, it was a bit heavy handed, but fuck it. They do so much stuff in good faith, and everything is so geared towards creating feel-good moments that make you smile. I just can’t allow myself to be cynical.

Frankly, watching AEW I feel like I shed decades of being a snarky little prick hate-watching everything, thinking I know it all and trying to be two-steps ahead. It’s why I can’t get down with people trying to fantasy book Friday, talking about doing swerves or trolling the audience. After years of WWE, you can tell people haven’t fully gotten it out of their system yet. “Maybe his music hits but then MJF comes out.” “Wouldn’t it be funny if after all the hype he didn’t even show up.” Yeah lads, or maybe the show starts to thunderous chants, his music hits, he comes out, cuts a promo on Darby and everyone is left happy and satisfied? How about that?

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Fun main event. I almost feel sorry for Jericho in that he got full creative freedom and seems to be enjoying his work more than ever, but it came just as his body began properly giving out on him. Bar the big spots, he looks fucking knackered most of the time. Fair play to him for creating a storyline where it makes sense for him to look terrible, but still. You wonder how long he’s got left.

One thing that I think some ignored with regards to the labours and the Juvi match in particular - Jericho being older and in less good shape has been part of the point. Jericho isn't the Y2J of decades ago. Him having to do a top-rope move to win, when it's clear he's no longer a cruiserweight or top-rope guy, wasn't about Jericho turning the clock back - it was about MJF being a dickhead and pointing out how much Jericho's aged and isn't in the shape he was.

That table spot with Sting was absolutely brilliant. Cool as fuck.

A great show. I'll echo the points on The Elite. The fact they could have gone down the nWo style of 'cool heels' and totally avoided it by being huge twats is credit to them and smart as hell. The Young Bucks in particular are amazing in that role. As someone mentioned, I don't think i have wanted a team to lose those belts as much as them for a loooong time.

All onto Rampage!

I think as well the lower card guys don't mind working that bit harder as they know every now and then they get given a main event or upper card slot to see how they've improved. I'm convinced they do a lot away from camera in developing and tweaks to character but aren't afraid to admit cock ups.

It's great that all we have really is nit-picking. I thought the QT Marshall segment took too long to get to the point, still not liking the Team Taz dynamic, and the start of Thunder Rosa/Penelope was sloppy (and Penelope was wearing totally different attire to her Dark/Elevation stuff, what was that all about? Doesn't matter at all but it was weird to me.) Also weird was Jon Moxley ripping on Christian and Hangman.

But who cares about any of that! Again, nearly everything mattered. Everything had a reason and enough continuity to make you wanna care. I want to see Arn Anderson's son get a kicking from Malakai Black, to find out if the Lucha Brothers eventually turn on Pac, to witness Jungle Boy finally get a title around his waist, and jeepers Miro against Eddie Kingston!

• Paid Members

I actually liked Moxley ripping on Christian & Hangman - Moxley's an ex-champion and a badass and just because he's a face doesn't mean he's besties with the other faces.

He lost the tag title shot with Eddie, he lost the NJPW US championship, he's been in and out with the new baby, the whole promo landed with me as a guy frustrated with things generally and looking to get back on track as the former face of the company.

• Paid Members

We’ve had a few years of this company now. You can trust that if Moxley is cutting that promo now then he’s almost certainly wrestling Hangman and Christian in six months to a year. He’ll probably turn heel at some point beforehand, making it all make sense.

Speaking of slow burns. I notice no-one is slagging off Jamie Hayter now her massive biceps got some TV time. Sweet Jesus. The female Wardlow. She’s gonna be a superstar when she eventually snaps on Britt in about three years.

52 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Speaking of slow burns. I notice no-one is slagging off Jamie Hayter now her massive biceps got some TV time. Sweet Jesus. The female Wardlow. She’s gonna be a superstar when she eventually snaps on Britt in about three years.

Jamie Vs. Jade feud please. 

I'm talking full Triple H Vs. Steiner style shenanigans. Pose downs, endurance contests the whole nine yards