The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

When people look back at the history of AEW, this past week will obviously be remembered for the CM Punk debut. But honestly, almost as impressive was that genius spot where Brandon Cutler tried to distract Luchasaurus with a flare. That they’ve managed to take someone who felt as useless as Cutler and turned him into such a great act is nothing short of miraculous.

I completely missed this, but I hope it was followed by Cutler freezing in place on the assumption Luchasaurus' vision is based on movement.

• Paid Members

Brandon Cutler and to a lesser extent QT Marshall have managed to eventually settle into roles where they can offer something, which is great. I would like to see them do that with someone who isn't one of their best mates though. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

That they’ve managed to take someone who felt as useless as Cutler and turned him into such a great act is nothing short of miraculous.

I've had a real soft spot for Brandon Cutler for a while. His Dark team and feud with Peter Avalon (where they both tried to break their losing streak, resulting in double-DQ and double-count-out matches, leading to a 'there must be a winner' match) was one of my favourite things last year. It was just simple, good fun, and they had a lovely little match to finish it off (with that bump onto the dice). On top of that, he gave a genuinely sweet little promo about hope and believing in yourself afterwards. The recent BTE call-back to that, with Cutler admitting that Avalon had been right all along, and cheating was better and fun, before stealing his wallet, was so good.

He's never going to be an upper, or even upper-mid-card guy. But he absolutely goes overboard in the right way when he does stuff, and he makes other people look good.

Cutler is fantastic on BTE as well. Him reacting to the matches he is filming always cracks me up. I hope he stays as a stooge for a long time, that said he would get a huge pop if he finally stood up for himself. 

Fantasy booking head on I would love him to spark out Matt Jackson only to be battered by The Elite until DO made the save. 

QT as the guy who thinks he’s all that as he is in a group of mates who the good guys beat on the way up is fine. Him getting in a feud with someone at a Cody level is not fine. 

On 8/23/2021 at 3:13 PM, gmoney said:

Brandon Cutler and to a lesser extent QT Marshall have managed to eventually settle into roles where they can offer something, which is great. I would like to see them do that with someone who isn't one of their best mates though. 

The fact that Cutler and Nakazawa are only where they are because of nepotism is absolutely PERFECT for their current heel personas, I love it.

Fair play though, QT can fuck off.

For a person who has consistently put on some of the best wrestling television in years, I’ll never understand why Tony Khan chose to follow up CM Punk’s debut, with all these potential new viewers, with that line-up of matches.

As far as in ring wrestling goes, this may have been AEW’s worst show ever. I wonder how many viewers they cost themselves by airing that disaster of a show, after such an exciting Friday?

Some of their failings were unforeseeable, I’ll give them that, but some of their decisions were baffling. We go from Cody/Black at All Out to, potentially, Cody versus Lee fucking Johnson? And that angle closed the whole show??

You go from a tease of Moxley/Tanahashi to something quite underwhelming in comparison.

They tease Omega/Page, and go with Omega/Christian? While I’m sure All Out will be a solid show, the line-up is far from spectacular.

• Paid Members

Felt like a blown joker. The show was fine. But felt more like an episode of Dark then Dynamite. Knowing there’s potentially new AEW viewers they kicked off with OC and Matt Hardy?!? Not a great episode. Matches were all fine. Nothing stood out for me though.

Yeah, that was crap.

Even the Punk segment felt a little off…. His promo style didn’t seem to suit speaking into someone else’s microphone, and it felt like everyone was selling a crowd reaction that wasn’t quite there.

Brian Pillman Jr felt like a real low point. He was really off. Like he was trying stuff he was too immobile/heavy to perform.

Shame.