The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

why Garcia is starting a feud with Darby a week before the biggest match of his and the company’s life is baffling

It's not even starting a feud. Allin already beat him like a week ago.

A massive own goal of an episode. After a run of the most electric weekly wrestling I'd ever seen they laid an egg. I wonder if this card suffered because they were showing off their older guys to new viewers (Hardy, Big Show, Gunn, Arn) or if it's a worrying sign the addition of Rampage is already watering things down. Whole show felt off, with bad timing of the entrance music, cold matches, sloppy wrestling and the Codyverse running fucking wild. Did they really think Lee Johnson running out was a satisfying finish? 

Thankfully there were two hot angles. The tag team eliminator post-match was a riot with The Young Bucks being the best pricks on the planet. CM Punk was a comedown from Friday but he still felt like a God. The slipped in Danielson tease was awesome. Not much else. 

All Out is a strange looking card. Punk vs Darby is heatless 'dream match' stuff. World Champion is in another B-level match. Moxley's being wasted. MJF/Jericho I never want to watch again. Bleurgh.

I didn't mind it, and I've seen episodes of Dynamite that were the same as this. Wasn't amazing, but had enough bits and pieces to see what goes next. That Dark Order split that isn't happening should be a great tease to eventually bring back THE MAN. 

Honestly I felt awful for Red Velvet missing the moonsault. Embarrassing shit happens, but chanting 'YOU F**KED UP' in this day?

Felt like one of those old one Friday Night Raw's where it all felt slightly off and you had The Gunn Kids. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

A massive own goal of an episode. After a run of the most electric weekly wrestling I'd ever seen they laid an egg. I wonder if this card suffered because they were showing off their older guys to new viewers (Hardy, Big Show, Gunn, Arn) or if it's a worrying sign the addition of Rampage is already watering things down. Whole show felt off, with bad timing of the entrance music, cold matches, sloppy wrestling and the Codyverse running fucking wild. Did they really think Lee Johnson running out was a satisfying finish? 

Thankfully there were two hot angles. The tag team eliminator post-match was a riot with The Young Bucks being the best pricks on the planet. CM Punk was a comedown from Friday but he still felt like a God. The slipped in Danielson tease was awesome. Not much else. 

All Out is a strange looking card. Punk vs Darby is heatless 'dream match' stuff. World Champion is in another B-level match. Moxley's being wasted. MJF/Jericho I never want to watch again. Bleurgh.

See you next Wed for Dynamite.

Big Money Matt is great, by the way, I'm a sucker for Matt Hardy doing any old midcard gimmick now that he's sorted himself out. He's a guy that would be booking efeds if he wasn't in wrestling. It's cool. 

The MJF/Jericho match, despite Jericho’s retirement stipulation which we all know won’t happen, still feels like it needs something to give it a boost. Perhaps they can make it a Submission match between now and the PPV just to give it that extra bit of sizzle.

Its a shame that they didn’t seem to capitalise on the momentum they had coming out of last week’s shows, but at the same time there have been worse weeks of Dynamite. You’re not going to knock out of the park every week, that’s just the way things are, but it’s not going to derail them completely either.

On paper, All Out doesn’t look like one their stronger PPV cards, but I’m still optimistic that they can pull off a good show on the night. Kenny and Christian showed the other week on Rampage that they can have a good match and I’m sure they will again. While I’m far from being anything resembling a fan of The Young Bucks, I’m sure that they’ll put on something decent against either Jurassic Express or Lucia Bros.
PAC v Andrade has the potential to be very good (it depends on whether Andrade turns up motivated or not) and I’m sure that Punk has been putting the work in together into ring-shape as all eyes are on him for his big return. His stint in MMA didn’t work out, but I don’t doubt for a second that he didn’t give it his all, and he won’t want to embarrass himself here

Edited by WyattSheepMask

One thing I did like was the Lucha Bros not falling for the Bucks post march shenanigans. 

I enjoy Big Money Matt these days but in no way should he have opened the show, the trios match would have been a better fit imo.

Can't get over bringing Hayter back as muscle only to immediately have her selling for Red Velvet in a competitive match. She did well to recover and go straight to the finish from that moonsalt botch.

A lot of this show had Elevation written all over it imo and to me it felt like they just wanted to get this week out of the way. 

If the ratings take a hit they deserve it. 

• Awards Moderator
On 8/23/2021 at 2:08 PM, Supremo said:

Considering their track record of developing even the worst of guys into something enjoyable, I have faith AEW could make a success out of Bray Wyatt.

If this photo that was doing the rounds on Twitter is legitimate though, their first tweak to his act should be that he never ever shaves his beard again. Horrifying.

D4ECDB26-5040-43F5-9285-40B8B8B6B64D.thumb.jpeg.499eee0fbd64e1b2c3465926515de6fc.jpeg

Just needs a bit of boot polish and it could be David Baddiel.