The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Doesn't mean she can't be green.

Green to me implies being clumsy or errors prone due to inexperience.

After a decade and a half, you're just shit.

• Paid Members

AEW did that modern day wrestling thing were if they spontaneously catch lightning in a bottle, they ask the audience to recreate it next time out. Punk's second appearence felt like the Fandango music thing. Disappointing.

This was a really weird show. It was like they were trying to find out how many jobbers they could put in matches before people tuned out. 

I'm a big Jamie Hayter fan but, and it seems like this is a general trend for most AEW women's matches, the fans just didn't seem to give a toss. They've created a star in Baker but the rest of the division still feels like an afterthought. It also feels like they don't realise that they've turned Baker a babyface to their own audience. It's weird. 

Talking of weird booking, what was up with the booking of Black in this episode? It feels like they randomly decided to depower him. He's getting blocked by Arn Anderson, having to kick Arn in the knackers and walking away from some scrub?

I do wonder if they run the risk of turning their audience against Punk. I think there's enough goodwill there that it won't happen, but he's already cutting repetitive promos and he's presumably beating a red hot, and very popular, young home grown star in his first match in 7 years. 

It feels like they can't get their timing right. They've gone through all their exciting build already and now they're spinning their wheels on the way to All Out and relying on Punk's momentum to get them there. 

That said, if they're satisfied with where they are at the moment and are able to keep their audience while giving away nothing matches on telly then that's probably the ideal. I think some of their "star vs scrubs" matches are a little too competitive but if this is the start of them leaning to an old school squash match format then it's an interesting direction. 

• Paid Members

Griff Garrison, stupid name aside, feels like he might have something if he can develop the character side of things, and maybe fills out a bit. Something about him registered with me, despite having not seen him before this week, and he seems like he could have something about him. Can't quite quantify it, but there's definitely potential there. 

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Griff Garrison, stupid name aside, feels like he might have something if he can develop the character side of things, and maybe fills out a bit. Something about him registered with me, despite having not seen him before this week, and he seems like he could have something about him. Can't quite quantify it, but there's definitely potential there. 

I love him. Built like Chuck Palumbo's forgotten son. A big boot and roaring elbow that makes you notice him. Good talent, infuriatingly good hair. 

7 hours ago, mim731 said:

I too get this feeling that he has the potential to be a huge star but yet can't quite tell you why. Good to know I'm not the only one! 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, mim731 said:

Griff Garrison, stupid name aside

Bit of a tangent but I've long wondered if he's actually called Griff, which is short for the Welsh name of Gruffydd, (as in Gruff Rhys of the Super Furries) or something completely random he thinks he's invented. There's not much about him online.

Given that Brian Pillman Jr is legitimately of Welsh stock (Brian Sr's mam), I find that pretty funny.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Bit of a tangent but I've long wondered if he's actually called Griff, which is short for the Welsh name of Gruffydd, (as in Gruff Rhys of the Super Furries) or something completely random he thinks he's invented. There's not much about him online.

Given that Brian Pillman Jr is legitimately of Welsh stock (Brian Sr's mam), I find that pretty funny.

His real name is actually Garrett Griffith, which is somehow more word salad than Garrison Cade, Griff Garrison or Garrison Keillor. 

Plus every sod is Welsh. They've got bloody Bob Marley. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

Tony Khan has said he wants to run a UK show as soon as possible and wants to do it at Cravens Cottage. Unique place for a wrestling show, also as owners I guess they would save money on venue hire.

I really, really hope it happens, I can walk home from there in about 10 minutes.

• Paid Members

I did ponder the other day if they might use Craven Cottage for a first UK show. Assuming it'd be an on the pitch job (I don't know if the stadium has any sort of indoor event space of any size but suspect not as it's a older, traditional ground) you're probably looking at it happening mid-May, shortly after the season ends but before they re-lay the turf for next season.

Entrances through the cottage, please.