The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

I really don’t see what else he can do with his promos leading up. Trash Darby? Won’t work fans won’t buy it or worse will and boo the shit out of sting and Allen, he even mentions another wrestler the fans will chant we want punk at said guy forever. Says he wants the title same thing. 

He doesn't need to trash Darby. There are loads of things we could have done to make the feud more compelling. Darby called out Punk in a promo, and they wanted to be cryptic - I get that. But even before Punk's debut, Darby could have produced one of his videos, calling out Punk, but also being vague enough to keep the mystery alive. 

Punk has been complimentary of Darby, and while he's kind of done this, I feel like they could have been far stronger in their framing of it all. Punk is facing one of the fastest rising stars in wrestling to prove that he still has what it takes. He should say that. Darby, on the other hand, has a lot to gain from winning, but also, defeat brings long built-up momentum screeching to a halt. 

They could have made this heated, but respectful, but they didn't - the stakes don't feel anywhere near high enough, and it's a shame. 

Even if the match is phenomenal, that won't change the fact that they've kind of messed up the build to this PPV. 

It reminds me a little of the slightly underwhelming Sasha/Bianca build up when WWE were first doing it for WrestleMania. It was all about 'history' and 'respect' and I couldn't help but feel like it needed a little bit of an edge or at least a far clearer face/heel divide to really be as good as it could be. Yes I know it's WWE and generally shit and there were other reasons like Reginald etc, but it's more having two top tier wrestlers that you know will deliver but the puzzle pieces aren't fitting together perfectly quite yet.

Now I'm all for Punk coming in as a face, getting the adulation that he deserves and all of that. And great, target Darby first for logic reasons. But I can't help but feel like this is just a taste of what could be. A pure heel Punk against the fiery Darby would be a killer feud and match but I don't feel like we're there yet. I hope they will get there, and for a change I'm not against the idea of a rematch because this feels more like a taster than anything. Whether they keep working together after this or build up anticipation for the rematch I'm not sure, but I am looking forward to seeing what they do at the PPV but I've definitely got eyes on the future too because I think their best work together is coming some other time.

• Paid Members

I don’t think there’s been a match in decades that needed heat less than CM Punk’s return. The sell and the draw is in seeing him wrestling again, against a new star. It doesn’t always have to be about hating your opponent or generating heat.

I don’t feel like the build up has been lacking at all. Them going forehead to forehead with Sting screaming the go-home promo was absolutely magical and I can’t wait for Sunday.

Sometimes, it can be this simple. Thinking it needs more is when you end up with bollocks like Hulk Hogan ramming The Rock’s ambulance with a truck or Debra as The Rock’s manager.

Edited by Supremo

Given the multitude of shows in Chicago since punks return, you’d wanna avoid the risk of turning their biggest homegrown baby face heel across weeks of tv, as the other towns will likely follow their lead. That Darby is still getting big pops and cheers is keeping the balance right 

I'm fine with what they've done with Punk & Darby, it's been fine, we'll get to the fireworks factory, fucking hell. 

I LOVE QT Marshall getting a PPV spot. Go on QT lad, do it for the bland dudes. See the Woman's Battle Royal has been bumped up to the main show. It better be good, because last time everyone thought the women were all buried, we got that AWFUL cinema match with Britt & Swole. 

59 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

He doesn't need to trash Darby. There are loads of things we could have done to make the feud more compelling. Darby called out Punk in a promo, and they wanted to be cryptic - I get that. But even before Punk's debut, Darby could have produced one of his videos, calling out Punk, but also being vague enough to keep the mystery alive. 

Punk has been complimentary of Darby, and while he's kind of done this, I feel like they could have been far stronger in their framing of it all. Punk is facing one of the fastest rising stars in wrestling to prove that he still has what it takes. He should say that. Darby, on the other hand, has a lot to gain from winning, but also, defeat brings long built-up momentum screeching to a halt. 

Punk has said this though. He answered Darby's call on his first night back, and name-dropped him since as one of the best new guys in AEW. He added the wrinkle to his follow-up by admitting it was as much about proving he still has what it takes, that he can still 'go.'

The intrigue comes from knowing what Darby Allin is in AEW. He's not just a wrestler; he's a daredevil human missile who has shown he can take the worst of beatings and still decide to use his own battered body as a weapon to beat an opponent. CM Punk isn't going into a catch-as-catch-can exhibition to bump the rust off; he's stepping front of a 175lb battering ram backed up by concrete ghost.

I think this match will trigger the start of the Punk turn. Face vs face might be enough for the opener, but I think partway through this match, Punk is going to realise he's out of his depth and will get nasty, whether it be straight-up murdering Allin or going after Sting instead. maybe even flash pinfall loss, leading to him laying out Sting and trying to convince Allin to follow him instead. Either way, this first match isn't the be-all and end-all of this return angle.

Or it's clean pin, handshake, cheers as we fade to black.

33 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Punk has said this though. He answered Darby's call on his first night back, and name-dropped him since as one of the best new guys in AEW. He added the wrinkle to his follow-up by admitting it was as much about proving he still has what it takes, that he can still 'go.'

I've said that - but I just don't think they've been strong enough about that element of it, there's no real intensity or sign of determination in Punk's delivery - I think they've missed a real opportunity. Are there really many people out there buzzing about this particular match, as opposed to it being Punk's comeback? I don't think it had to be that way. 

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

I think this match will trigger the start of the Punk turn. Face vs face might be enough for the opener, but I think partway through this match, Punk is going to realise he's out of his depth and will get nasty, whether it be straight-up murdering Allin or going after Sting instead. maybe even flash pinfall loss, leading to him laying out Sting and trying to convince Allin to follow him instead. Either way, this first match isn't the be-all and end-all of this return angle.

I can't imagine they'll take that approach in Chicago. While I think it's more likely that Punk will face a few heel opponents before he turns (MJF being the most interesting one for me), it's certainly possible that this will indeed lead to a heel turn. I also think the right result in this match, whatever they choose to do next, is for Darby to go over. 

By the way, obviously the bit on the show that won't get much mention is Billy Gunn heel turn. No lie, I actually muttered 'aww, what!' because it genuinely was unexpected. I liked that it wasn't them joining The Factory either. They've got their own issue with him, probably based around his kids getting in his ear. 

It's also gonna be a pleasure to boo The Gunn Club. They're decent, nothing amazing yet, but they push the right button of unlikeable arsehole kids. They might flourish in this and actually be worth something. 

• Paid Members

As a once or twice a year novelty, I’ve no problem with Paul Wight wrestling. He should be going on a lovely four month holiday after Sunday though, not already kickstarting another angle involving the explosion of Double Trouble Crap on a Stick!

I said a few months back that the Gunn Club would be good heels either with Billy living through the boys or with them battering their old man and going it alone. Austin in particular is an incredibly annoying little bastard. I am intrigued to see how it pans out.  

• Paid Members

I thought that was a great show, even with some of the matches not exactly clicking. Which shows that doesn't really matter, it makes them feel a lot less cookie cutter and different, that people have different styles that don't necessarily gel. 

FTR Vs Santana and Ortiz was fun and exciting, but they definitely weren't on the same page for multiple spots in that match. Much better than their first outing though, and the right winners. Here's hoping Santana and Ortiz transition I to something else meaningful after this. 

Jack Evans was his usual Jack Evans self. Anyone that gets through a match with him unscathed, has clearly done a sterling job at stopping in descending into utter shite. 

Conti and Ford. This was the pits. Both are way too green to be working with each other. Both have gotten better, but if they are going to have matches with each other it shouldn't be on Dynamite. Didn't work for me. 

Other than those few things, there was some great stuff on the show, and it was packed from head to toe.

The Jericho and MJF promos were a big highlight, as was the main event and show closing angle (I was very surprised at the finish, making me doubt the result I was expecting at the PPV). Fenix and Pentagon shouldn't lose now after getting beat here, and the big beat down on top of that. However I don't know if AEW are ready to take the belts off the Bucks yet either. Definite intrigue added to that one after this show. 

Interesting that PAC and Andrade have been removed from the PPV. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Fenix and Pentagon shouldn't lose now after getting beat here, and the big beat down on top of that. However I don't know if AEW are ready to take the belts off the Bucks yet either. Definite intrigue added to that one after this show. 

Interesting that PAC and Andrade have been removed from the PPV. 

Fenix and Pentagon should lose and split up. Death Triangle is a great group in theory but it's seemingly impossible to keep all 3 in the country or off the injury bench at the same time for longer than a few weeks at a time. Might as well call it quits, the mid card could use a few more acts and both men are way better singles wrestlers anyway.

Removed due to travel issues, not sure who's though.

26 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Conti and Ford. This was the pits. Both are way too green to be working with each other. Both have gotten better, but if they are going to have matches with each other it shouldn't be on Dynamite. Didn't work for me.

It's one of the reasons they're working away on Dark and Elevation. They've really missed Serena Deeb through her injuries. As she was able to make most of the inexperienced talent look good on TV.

With the likes of Ruby Soho meant to be coming in. AEW will hopefully end up with a more well rounded Women's Division to allow some of their projects to develop in a similar fashion we've seen with Darby and Jungle Boy.

edit...

To add on the PAC v. Andrade front. I would have thought one of them living in the UK and the other Florida would give the game away as to who was having travel issues.

Edited by Infinity Land