The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

They have done a tremendous job of turning the DO round into a genuinely likeable group, as suggested above, the only way this should go is a return for Hangman to bring everyone together. They don't need a 'leader', but Hangman paying back how they have helped him, would be a really good, heartwarming payoff. 

In terms of the trend of following up a hot PPV with a lukewarm Dynamite, its almost like they should write the PPV as they want it to be, then take one thing off and move it to Dynamite. It wont always land, but even just one segment from All Out would make a good Dynamite segment. 

Eddie vs Miro for example would have killed as a Dynamite main. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

I thought this was one of their strongest post PPV episodes. Things progressed, new storylines set up, got to see the new signees have some mic time. Compared to some of the dull shows we've had post PPV's before, I enjoyed this one. Only thing I didn't like was them trying to pull the trigger on Bryanson so soon. WE NEED HANGMAN BACK

Also, thought Taz, Tony and JR had a blinder on commentary. I love Excalibur but he wasn't missed. Those 4 should do all the shows in various tandems, just forget about Big Show and Mark Henry. if they incist on having a wrestler, Kingston has been doing a better job recently then Jericho as well.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

WE NEED HANGMAN BACK

I'm gonna guess Bryan/Omega will not be for the title, or, as someone said, it goes the distance in a hopefully classic match.

Plenty of time for Hangman to come back. This aint WWE booking, he'll get his moment

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Obviously theres the Brodie connection by putting him with Dark Order, but I honestly don’t know if they’d go with it or not. Rubbish dark spooky heels to goofy babyface back (potentially) to dark heels is a bit of flip-flopping just for the sake of it. 

They were never really "dark heels" with Brodie though, they were vulnerable losers, manipulated by Brodie into doing his bidding. Whether or not something similar would work with Wyatt remains to be seen. 

37 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He and Braun are off to Impact aren't they? That seems to be the "popular opinion" anyway. I guess we'll find out in about 8 weeks. Shame the 29th is a Friday as that could've set things up nicely for him to appear on the Impact after Bound For Glory. 

I'd be very, very surprised if Wyatt ended up there. I can't remember the last time Impact signed a star of that magnitude. When they're bringing in ex-WWE stars, it's people like Curt Hawkins, Heath Slater and No Way Jose, who end up going there, which presumably gives an indication as to what their budget is. 

As far as the show goes, I'll start with the bad. MJF's promo. It's the kind of promo he would cut before AEW launched that made me doubt his potential. He says crass, controversial things without any obvious driving force or motivation as to why he's saying them in the first place. It just didn't work for me. 

I'm also unsure about the idea of Punk feuding with Powerhouse Hobbs. I know it's probably a short term thing, but I find Hobbs really, really boring. He's not really found his groove as a heel, and his entire act consists of a permanent scowl. People like Britt Baker and Hangman Page took time to find their identity, and perhaps feuding with Punk will help Hobbs do just that, but I can't help but think it would have been more effective to have Punk transition immediately into a feud with a big name heel. 

Danielson was excellent, and I'm looking forward to his eventual match with Omega. Bryan might be my favourite promo in all of wrestling. Almost every time he cuts a promo, he takes you on an emotional journey, he's just so damn likeable. I don't think he should win the AEW title, but I wouldn't object to it at all if he did. 

I'm also glad that they're continuing the Kingston/Miro feud, that video package was fantastic. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Louch said:

Wyatt with the dark order is a fandom ending level event. After the growth in the dark order , how the fans took to them post brody, the hangman’s tale , the last thing they need is dragged back to spooky shite and muttering promos…….what they need is a handsome cowboy to remind them who they are and the power of friendship 

I assume it goes one of two ways - Hangman Page comes back and whips them into shape, and they rally behind him against The Elite again, or a couple more members leave, but reasonably amicably. I could see John Silver going off on his own, just because he's a great personality that doesn't need the group to stay over, and maybe a couple of the masked guys getting new characters.

The one thing they won't do is give them a new leader, and least of all a spooky goth leader. They've made it pretty clear that Brodie Lee is their leader forever, and won't ever be replaced.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The one thing they won't do is give them a new leader, and least of all a spooky goth leader. They've made it pretty clear that Brodie Lee is their leader forever, and won't ever be replaced.

On top of them saying time and time again they won't replace Brodie, Evil Uno has pretty much taken up the mantle of de facto leader, so they really don't need someone either rehashing Brodie's manipulation or someone like Wyatt with all the spooky shite which would go completely against their growth as characters over the last year / year and a half. 

Controversial opinion but this is all Hangman’s fault, he cost them all title shots in the 8 man, then the following week told them not to interfere if and when the Elite beat him down. Stu, Uno and Colt respected his wishes, Silver, Reynolds, 5 and 10 didn’t and almost made it worse

A lot of people assuming, if Bray came in, it'd be as a dark force to take over the Dark Order. But what about if he arrived and the Dark Order chose to bring him into the group, just showering him with positive praise, friendship and hope, so we get comedy powerhouse Bray just enjoying himself for a bit?

44 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

They were never really "dark heels" with Brodie though, they were vulnerable losers, manipulated by Brodie into doing his bidding. Whether or not something similar would work with Wyatt remains to be seen. 

I was meaning that they were dark heels when they first came in, when they’d have the minions make a human chair for Evil Uno and all that.

Punk having a mini feud with Team Taz is an interesting prospect. It saves him burning through matches with the tippy-top guys but also gets him some extra ring time and gives guys like Hobbs and Starks the rub from working with him.

We all know that Dustin is great, but I’m not sure what going toe to toe with a 52 year old man for 10+minutes does for Malakai Black. The buggered up finish sort of put his kick over in a weird way, Black kicked Dustin so hard in the shoulder that his mouth bled.

Surely Remsburg reffing his mate Ruby’s matches is a conflict of interest

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Team Taz are a great entry-level group for a new top star to feud with - Christian Cage did the same thing.

They hinted at it with Christian, and I hope it becomes more of a thing - Taz is just bitter that he's seeing people like Christian and CM Punk get a second run at the top that he never got. He was forced to retire, in the company that reduced him to a shell of his former self, and never had a chance at redemption. And he's taking that out on everyone who got what he didn't.

30 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Controversial opinion but this is all Hangman’s fault, he cost them all title shots in the 8 man, then the following week told them not to interfere if and when the Elite beat him down. Stu, Uno and Colt respected his wishes, Silver, Reynolds, 5 and 10 didn’t and almost made it worse

It hurts cause it’s true :( 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Must say, I really hope they move away from this Jon Moxley vs old Japanese men thing they've got going on. Give him Miro!

He can have Miro once Kingston wins the TNT title from him in 2 weeks.

Also, one of the criticisms I have seen from WWE fans when an Ex WWE wrestler jumps ship is how they are pushing the AEW talent aside. I think it is the opposite. CM Punk used his promo, and first match to highlight Britt Baker and of course Darby, Christian worked against Team Taz and is now aligned with Jurassic Express, as is Bryan Danielson. And look at what Jericho did. He deliberately filled his group with people who had not had much of a chance to be highlighted. One thing I think Tony Khan needs more credit for is making sure the "superstars" help bring up the AEW originals to a wider audience.

40 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

We all know that Dustin is great, but I’m not sure what going toe to toe with a 52 year old man for 10+minutes does for Malakai Black. The buggered up finish sort of put his kick over in a weird way, Black kicked Dustin so hard in the shoulder that his mouth bled.

See, I don't mind this - Dustin has long-been established as a credible wrestler in AEW. He's generally a lot of fun to watch, and I think there's a great story to be told in him trying (and failing) to win his first world title. I would go as far as to say he's being under-utlised. 

23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Team Taz are a great entry-level group for a new top star to feud with - Christian Cage did the same thing.

They hinted at it with Christian, and I hope it becomes more of a thing - Taz is just bitter that he's seeing people like Christian and CM Punk get a second run at the top that he never got. He was forced to retire, in the company that reduced him to a shell of his former self, and never had a chance at redemption. And he's taking that out on everyone who got what he didn't.

I'm not sure why, but I find them really dull. I love Starks, and I think Taz is phenomenal both as a commentator and as a manager. It may be the historic association with Brian Cage, who I don't see much of anything in. I think that's a phenomenal idea though, and I really hope they move in that direction. 

6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Must say, I really hope they move away from this Jon Moxley vs old Japanese men thing they've got going on. Give him Miro!

I'd be interested to know what the general fanbase thinks of this. I don't know much about any of the wrestlers he's faced, or is touted to face. I don't have any investment in who wins either, given that his opponents don't regularly wrestle for AEW. It all feels very inconsequential.