The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

That was an unbelievably easy watch - it felt like the main event started half an hour earlier than I was expecting. I wish we'd got another five minutes on the Suzuki/Mox match. It felt like it was just getting going when it finished, and I'm guessing it was cut short. It's a real shame because, for me, Suzuki is at his best when you get to the point of 'they'll have got past the stiff part now and... no, it just keeps getting stiffer' (and also the forearms get harder, fnarr). Another five minutes with a bloody Suzuki and Mox slapping the shit out of each other would have been fantastic. As it was, I'm not sure if Suzuki will have won over any new fans in a major way. I hope so, though.

That's the biggest issue, though. Everything else was such an easy watch.

The Suzuki match was strange as it seemed to be rushed to start, with the music cut, but then you got a couple of mins post match of Mox getting his steps up. Something definitely messed up somewhere 

• Paid Members

Has any act ever fallen off a cliff quicker and more dramatically than MJF on this show? Unbelievable. It felt like he’d really stepped up this past year or so and the Jericho/Inner Circle/Pinnacle stuff had salvaged him after that dog shit feud with Jon Moxley. And then literally the very next show he’s doing some of the worst Edge Lord, “tHaT’s RiGhT I sAiD iT~!” shit he’s ever done. Awful. I’m convinced he must be reading the UKFF and leant into that bollocks just to spite us.

• Paid Members

I thought it was fine. Crowd went nuts when Pillman came out, so you can't say it didn't work. It was pretty cheap, yes, but it's not like that's the only string to his bow. You want cheap heat in wrestling sometimes, maybe not just all the time. 

• Paid Members

I think it was the combination of Dan Lambert followed by MJF that made it worse. Just the most boring, cheap, bog-standard shit.

Thankfully things picked up with Nick Jackson’s nose ring, Don Callis’ fake tan and Brandon Cutler vlogging his own beating. Excellent stuff. I’m convinced Moxley’s half way to being a heel, too. Each entrance through the crowd he’s looking more and more pissed off. Could just be the night feeds, though.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Yakashi said:

With football season coming I’m fully expecting them to be beating them regularly for a while. These guys are going to be getting hundreds of millions of dollars thrown at them come contract time.

Probably just as likely that WWE will see a major drop in how much they receive. In value for money terms the two companies are miles apart.

Edited by garynysmon

While AEW are doing well in the ratings and definitely heading in the right direction, it's never just about ratings. And with AEW still being relatively new WWE still has the 'we are wrestling' advantage that they've had for so many years. A lot of people do still think that way and so they can take advantage of that in negotiations etc. So when people seem shocked that they're getting whatever money they are getting, it's not really that surprising. Of course that won't last forever - it's just very much a waiting game for AEW and making sure they get out there with a constantly quality product and more recognisable faces etc.

9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Is there anywhere that holds all episodes of Dynamite? Such as Fite Plus? I wouldn't mind taking a watch through from the first episode.

FITE will have all episodes with an AEW+ subscription.

Failing that, if there was some kind of Wrestling Torrent site that was Xtreme in some way, it might be in the ‘Packs’ section

Edited by WyattSheepMask

It felt watching it that the crowd reacted more to MJF talking about Jericho and belittling Wardlow than they did to any of the digs he took at the Cincinnati, it's residents or the Pillman family. And Pillman using the "jerk off" line felt like another case of using a naughty word that because TNT allows them to, like shit, piss and bitch. Equivalent of the Attitude Era's usage of "ass" at every possible opportunity. 

Jericho and Pillman now have both said "jerk off" in response to MJF.

Jericho called MJF a piece of shit, while Christian constantly refers to Don Callis as a corny piece of shit as well as MJF's "shitcinatti" line.

Almost every episode of Dynamite, somebody will be "pissed off"

And Britt Baker is "the baddest bitch on the block" while Jade Cargill is "that bitch"

AEW does most things right but the constant usage of these words does come across, to me anyway, as a case of using them because they can rather than because they add any actual value. And I'm not against swearing or asking for promos to be written down, rehearsed and performed like a robot but just because you can do something doesn't mean it has to be done all the time.

I think when it comes to swearing, a lot of it is to do with the delivery. As good as Jericho is on the mic, since joining AEW and having that freedom on TNT, he tends to drop the curse word and either look to the crowd or down the camera in that pro wrestling way for dramatic effect. But if they're saying off-colour words, they should just let them fly, like a normal person speaking would. The words and the frequency of them aren't a problem, it's dropping it then pausing for the pop of "ooo he said something naughty!"

Schiavone got it perfect the other week when he dropped a "bullshit" about something on commentary, might have been about Don Callis or something, but it felt like a genuine reaction. Excalibur tried it with the false finish of the Jericho/MJF match, but it felt a little more forced and didn't work as well.

The spectrum of good to bad swearing in AEW goes:

Schiavone........................................................................... Excalibur..................................................................Jericho

The likes of Christian and MJF can fall anywhere in there depending on the day.