The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I hope for fans of wwe aew success pushes them on. I’ve never been into wishing companies to die, there is room for everyone and to have wrestling catering to all tastes. You should have guys in aew wanting to go to wwe as well, will keep all wrestling fresh if we see moves back and forth. We have seen what 20 years of one company, the 5000 kofi ziggler matches does to fan engagement. 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Raw is a terrible show and has had an audience drop in line with its quality. Eventually I think AEW will be beating them regularly. But this is an anomaly as you well know. Outside of a fake wrestling war, no one would think different.

It's not an anomaly. Pretending it is - that's the sort of thinking they've employed for years to convince themselves there's no problem. AEW is irrelevant to this. WWE put out a show on Monday during the football season, as they have for 28 years, and it drew a dreadful rating both overall and in the 18-49 demographic. If it was a one off, then it would be an anomaly, but it isn't, it's a trend, it's been a trend for a long time and arguing about it like some WWE "stan" on social media isn't doing them any favours.

18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not an anomaly. Pretending it is - that's the sort of thinking they've employed for years to convince themselves there's no problem. AEW is irrelevant to this. WWE put out a show on Monday during the football season, as they have for 28 years, and it drew a dreadful rating both overall and in the 18-49 demographic. If it was a one off, then it would be an anomaly, but it isn't, it's a trend, it's been a trend for a long time and arguing about it like some WWE "stan" on social media isn't doing them any favours.

You’re arguing something completely different to what I’m saying. I’m not denying the number is bad. I’m specifically talking about the head to head result. I’m saying that the defeat wouldn’t have happened if this particular football game, which drew a gigantic number higher than anyone predicted, hadn’t happened. Raw would have handily beaten them, even with their shit product had a normal football rating which we can expect going forward for most games would have happened. Last week was a win on even grounds.

And this isn’t a trend at all anymore. The last several years they haven’t been effected anywhere close to this level. It’s been years since it really impacted them to a large degree, probably because their audience has dropped so much.

And I get what you’re saying. If they hadn’t had such a terrible show for years then they wouldn’t be in a position where a monster football game could take away 20% of their audience and they would lose. I totally agree with that. All I said was that they would have won if this giant football game didn’t happen and that this giant football game will happen very rarely, if again this year. Making it an anomaly. They’re two different arguments.

Edited by Yakashi

What do we reckon to AEW ending up on Sky Sports whenever their deal with ITV is up?

Im not meaning that in it being some kind of return to the glory days of the WWF Attitude Era or anything like that, it’s just something I got to thinking about when they showed that collage of headlines when Punk returned, Sky Sports being one of them included.

Clearly Sky let the WWE deal expire due to a prolonged decline in viewing figures, but if AEW continue to make strides could it be something that Sky could reconsider? For all its faults, WWE leaving left a huge hole for Sky to fill.

And let’s face it, it’s not like ITV have done a great job with AEW (they don’t deserve wrestling as we all know). I would wager that the vast majority of us on here watch via FITE or through torrents. Would anyone know it was on ITV4 without accidentally stumbling across that channel on the EPG

Edited by WyattSheepMask

That's where I found AEW, by accident, but haven't looked back and don't have the finances for additional streaming services.

It's a good exciting watch each week and 2hrs escapism of the difficulties of real life.

• Paid Members

All I’m saying is that if you’re going to bring Hangman Adam Page back at some point this year, and you want him to get him as big a reaction as possible so as to ensure he isn’t lost in the shuffle amongst the Punks, Coles and Danielsons, it’d be Wednesday, wouldn’t it?

Time limit draw between Danielson and Omega. Big Elite beat down of the Danielson. Jurassic Express and Christian can’t make up the numbers. Adam Page saves the day like the old Stone Cold returning to clear house in the Invasion.

I love Hangman to bits, have his T-shirt’s, figures. Have a group chat where we changed the thumbs up to the finger point for him. There just isn’t the natural feuds for him at champion at this point that are there with Omega with the title. It’s amazing how much aew has shifted around in 6 weeks.  

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What do we reckon to AEW ending up on Sky Sports whenever their deal with ITV is up?

Im not meaning that in it being some kind of return to the glory days of the WWF Attitude Era or anything like that, it’s just something I got to thinking about when they showed that collage of headlines when Punk returned, Sky Sports being one of them included.

Clearly Sky let the WWE deal expire due to a prolonged decline in viewing figures, but if AEW continue to make strides could it be something that Sky could reconsider? For all its faults, WWE leaving left a huge hole for Sky to fill.

And let’s face it, it’s not like ITV have done a great job with AEW (they don’t deserve wrestling as we all know). I would wager that the vast majority of us on here watch via FITE or through torrents. Would anyone know it was on ITV4 without accidentally stumbling across that channel on the EPG

A friend of mine started chatting with me about AEW last weekend. He was up to date with all the happenings and was watching highlights - he had no idea it was on ITV until I told him. He said he was going to start watching Dynamite on the Hub now, but he’d have never known if I hadn’t mentioned it.

ITV was my go to for Dynamite until that spell this year when it moved to Fridays and wasn’t appearing on the Hub until the middle of the following week. I signed up to Fite at that point and haven’t gone back - it’s just so much more convenient, though I do miss Schiavone recommending I make a nice cup of tea before the ad breaks.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

I love Hangman to bits, have his T-shirt’s, figures. Have a group chat where we changed the thumbs up to the finger point for him. There just isn’t the natural feuds for him at champion at this point that are there with Omega with the title. It’s amazing how much aew has shifted around in 6 weeks.  

The problem with that is that Omega has to keep winning to have all these matches with these newcomers and I'm long past the point where I want Omega to win. I thought they timed the Young Bucks loss beautifully and I'm hoping they do the same with Omega.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

The problem with that is that Omega has to keep winning to have all these matches with these newcomers and I'm long past the point where I want Omega to win. I thought they timed the Young Bucks loss beautifully and I'm hoping they do the same with Omega.

I agree it’s time for Omega to lose. I just think it’s too far away from Hamgman now with how the Bryan feud now has focus 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Next PPV is Full Gear in November. If Danielson/Omega leads to a Hangman return, then you have about 6 weeks to let him beat, say, Adam Cole and Matt Jackson, along with whoever the No 1 contender at the time is.

They don't need to do that. Have him come back and save the DO from implosion. He comes out, tells Omega the All Out shot was his and it was stolen from him, says TK has given the DO one shot at redemption vs. any 5 guys Kenny picks, DO win, Hangman vs. Page at Full Gear, 3 blokes cry about the ranking system, the rest of us piss our pants. The End.

Another cracking episode, though I think the stage dive from Punk needs to be calmed down a bit. The joy of it in Chicago was because of the spontaneity but doing it on a regular basis loses it's impact.

Cole and his catchphrases are too over to make him heel. The commentary team did all they could to say how he's "not a good guy" but the fans still eat up his work. I still think the best way for him to get over as a heel is for him to lay out Schiavone out because he's looked at Britt the wrong way. Cole and Kaz was a good fun opening match, though why Kaz is the "Elite Hunter" when he gets no victories over them seems a bit daft. But the right result was a victory for Cole. And moving forward he and the Bucks against Christian and Jurassic Express should be a fun match. 

Lucha Brothers against Butcher & Blade seems an odd choice, given Butcher has been off-screen for so long. They may have a good record but they haven't wrestled a two-on-two tag team match on Dynamite since November last year - when ironically they beat Fenix and PAC. And neither of them of wrestled yet on Rampage in any capacity. Still, saying all that it should be another good match with Lucha Bros presumably keeping hold of the belts.

Fuego offering his car in exchange for Miro's TNT Title, while Sammy looks cool as fuck, all for that. Miro still remains one of the best acts they have and should hopefully remain TNT champ for a good while yet. The Fuego feud could possibly lead into one with Sammy, who finally dethrones him though.

MJF basically said this week what he said last week but I did like the talking to hell when "speaking" with Pillman Snr. The "Methanie" line isn't getting the sort of reactions live that they'd hoped for though in my opinion. Obviously on the internet, everyone is gonna be screaming about it because it's the internet but on Wednesday and on Rampage, it seemed to just go by everyone without any real acknowledgement of it. "Meet him up there" gave away that Pillman was coming through the crowd but at least it's another advancement of the eventual Wardlow/MJF split. And Pillman's subsequent interview with JR was much better than his promo on Rampage. 

FTR against Dante Martin and Matt Sydal was another fun match. Martin continues to impress, Sydal has improved since he botched his fucking debut. FTR remain as solid as ever and for my money would be a better opponent for Fenix and Penta. Hopefully once Darius Martin is back, Top Flight can start moving up with their careers again. 

Black and Cody was the standard brawl, though I did appreciate the fist pump Cody gave the fan after he launched his drink over Black's head. Speaking of fans, did somebody have the baby Fred picture from A League of Their Own just as Punk's music hits at the very start of the show? And a pet peeve of mine is when wrestling promotions get celebs involved and put them on the same level as their wrestling talent. If a wrestler had jumped on Black from behind, he'd of been to get rid of them instantly. That bird did it (no idea who she is by the way) and he's struggling with her for a good thirty seconds. 

Any time Anna Jay is on screen is a good time and if she's with Tay Conti, even better. Dark Order seems to be screaming out for Hangman to save their day before saving his own.

Dan Lambert continues to make me laugh. A match between Jericho/Hager v Men of the Year isn't one that I actively care about but Dan Lambert is doing his upmost to make everyone care.

Gunn Club need something good to do that isn't a match with Paul Wight. Still think they could easily have a brothers tournament with the Gunns, Bucks, Sydals, Top Flight, Lucha Bros, Cody & Dustin and a couple of others for a one night only kind of deal.

Jade could become their next breakout of the women's division if handled properly. She's got all the tools there.

Andrade going back to his interview with subtitles. While poor Chavo gets blamed for everything.

Team Taz outsmarting Punk was nice. Couldn't get more different styles than Darby and Hobbs for Punk's return to the ring. Hopefully Punk isn't in too much pain after the table spot either.

Spears and Darby promised to be good and it was. If a little overshadowed by what else has been happening. Cody got it spot on when he said Shawn Spears was a good hand. He is. He's a good enough worker to have good matches but not good enough to reach the pinnacle. 

Danielson and Omega is just certain to impress. And the fact that the title isn't coming into it yet is still the biggest talking point of any show, just goes to show how big a match this is. I don't know if there's a wrong outcome to the result of the match. Whichever route they take has a logical sense to it.

I always like seeing Mox and Kingston teaming together and 2.0 are a decent enough team who defeat doesn't seem to hurt. A match against Archer and Suzuki for Jedward should be loads of fun as well. I would like to see a few more promos from Eddie though. I miss him on the mic.

And despite everybody saying shit because TNT allow it, the show was anything but shit.