The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

To me if you formalise a Trios title, you end up diluting them. How AEW often use a trios match to have tag/singles feuds clash in a high profile match. The Trios title would end up overshadowed. In the same normal tag titles often are when singles are thrown together for a tag main event.

This. They use them well to set up tag and singles matches in same match. Adding a potential title change in these just limits who can lose and how 

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm really hoping for a Trios tournament. You could easily do 16 teams with the current roster:

1. Death Triangle
2. Jurassic Express
3. Best Friends
4. The Pinnacle
5. Nightmare Family
6. The Factory
7. Dark Order 1 (Silver, Reynolds, Colt)
8. Dark Order 2 (Stu, Uno, 10)
9. HFO 1 (Angelico, Private Party)
10. HFO 2 (Matt, Butcher, Blade)
11. Nick Nemeth, JD Drake, that big lad.
12. The Elite
13. Moxley/Allin/Kingston
14. Santana/Ortiz/Sammy
15. 2.0 and Danny Garcia

and for the final spot you have Team New Japan or Team Impact Wrestling or whatever. 

I noticed they were keeping track of Trios records in the CM Punk roster graphic posted earlier.

I can see why people might want a Trios title, but, just like every time there seems to be another title on the horizon, I worry it'll dilute the scene and make angles too belt-centric. I'd be up for a one-off tournament for a cup or something, perhaps to give a few weeks of Dark a purpose using a block format leading to a final. There's a chance for a couple of weeks' build too, as the teams form, from the DO choosing their three reps to odd couple teams making alliances.

I think there's more storyline meat to be had from tag titles split within teams, or just tag champs being parts of factions. Belt scarcity naturally creates tension. I'll chuck out my annual call for more use of the Freebird Rule here. Imagine a team of three where one is obviously the weak link, putting the belts at risk when they're on the defending team, or one guy on a team eager for solo fame accidentally or deliberately sabotaging defences.

Having a Trios title essentially formalises the fun overstuffed multi man gimmick. I don't think audiences are quite ready to accept the NJPW house show model of cards of multi man tags based on talent just rattling off their signatures ending in the champ pinning a non-threat. There's just a lot more they could do than make more belts. 

9 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Sting is bloody great isn't he? It's 2021, and I'm legitimately excited that there's even a remote possibility we might see CM Punk vs Sting in the near future. That is pretty crazy. 

It's definitely fun to see him in a ring with CM Punk, but he can definitely veer into embarrassing dad territory when he grabs the mic. 

Overall that was a very enjoyable show, but I was more excited about that opening match than I am about seeing anything on All Out, which is a bit of a problem. Even if Page withdrawing from the show threw a spanner in the works, the card is jaw-droppingly underwhelming. I'm sure the show will be good, but the build to every match outside of Jericho/MJF either feels weak, or rushed. 

Part of the problem is Christian challenging for the AEW title. He's about as underwhelming a PPV opponent as I can remember for Omega, and I say that as someone who quite enjoys the guy. Even if you were to switch him with Kingston (having Kingston challenge Omega, and the undefeated Christian challenge the undefeated Miro), for me, you immediately have a better card. 

Heck, the idea of Omega vs. Paul Wight is more intriguing to me. That would then allow you to run the Christian/Jungle Boy match, and get QT Marshall away from this bloody PPV card. 

As far as Dynamite goes - they've either done a good job convincing me, or Jericho is going to retire - because I'm now convinced he's going to lose, then have his final match on the Jericho Cruise. 

I’m sticking by Jericho is retiring Sunday. JR breaking up as he tried to introduce Jericho, the constant slips re the stipulation. Even if I’m wrong I’ll be glad as they really fucking got me with it now 

• Paid Members

After last weeks hiccup, thought this was a great episode.

That opener was great. I don't love FTR, I get they are great wrestlers, but I don't find them that interesting, but they work well with Proud and Powerful and was entertained.

Agree on the Jericho thing. Personally, I'd be happy for him to retire. He'd be back eventually anyway as nothing is forever, and maybe some time away would be exciting, a disband the Inner Circle which haven't done anything for ages and is just holding people back at this point.

Tony's distain for MJF was wonderful. Love that guy. Thought MJF's work was good here too.

I enjoyed the Punk segment. What else can they do with him before the PPV? Once he is back, I don't think we'll see many promo segments like we are now.

Good to see Anna back, I like her and Tay so that was a plus. Though her and Ford had a pretty good match (love the pin)

2.0 were someone I cared little for in NXT except for the last few months. Daniel Garcia I had no idea on, but I love this trio. Great addition to the roster.

The main event was good. Thought it was a good close for the PPV ( I know we have Rampage as well yet, but still). Omega looking boss. I really hope the PPV nails it.

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Bit controversial but already bored of Punk's self indulgent promos...

Self indulgent might be a little harsh, but I'm kind of with you. And it's not me being fickle after two weeks, it's just the obvious setting in: That after the initial babyface return pop, CM Punk's best work is painfully obviously him being a heel. Can't blame them for riding the wave for a few weeks, but a turn's gotta come and it's going to be great. 

Still, it feels proper order restored having him, Darby and Sting in the ring and me being most excited to see Sting there. 

Good episode! 

• Paid Members

Loved the Punk/Allin/Sting stuff. Everything else was fine for the most part, except Jack Evans's shocking showing.

I think they have a bit of a midcard problem at the moment. Lots of people not doing much. This Best Friends vs HFO stuff is a complete nothing story. Cage vs Team Taz is dead in the water. Sammy Guevara has nothing. Lance Archer had that great win over Mox in Texas but has now vanished. They need to start writing some stuff for these guys, just off the top of my head some fantasy booking:

- Team Taz get on the wrong side of Archer who joins forces with Cage to build to Cage/Archer vs Starks/Hobbs. Cage/Archer form a short lived monster tag team before inevitably falling out and fighting eachother in a Godzilla vs Kong feud.

- Wheeler Yuta has just appeared in the Best Friends out of nowhere. What if it turns out he's a nasty sneaky little bastard and starts creating tension between the friends? Or he brings in his new girlfriend (one of the women wrestlers) and her and Statlander hate eachother?

- Men of the Year vs Jurassic Express. Hateable Jocks vs loveable nerds, the easiest story.

- HFO and Dark Order had a little feud a while back but with DO seemingly disintegrating and Hangman not around to help them, Hardy sees his opportunity to destroy them permanently. 

Also Wardlow and Hager seemed to be building up to a third match but now both have vanished from TV. I get the benefits of rotating talent on and off TV to keep things fresh but often it leads to momentum being lost and stories being dropped. It's frustrating. 

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Tony's distain for MJF was wonderful. Love that guy. Thought MJF's work was good here too.

I like Tony, but I hope they hire Renee Paquette and use her for the bulk of these interview segments. She's so much better than anyone else is at doing that kind of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I enjoyed the Punk segment. What else can they do with him before the PPV? Once he is back, I don't think we'll see many promo segments like we are now.

At this stage, you're right. They boxed themselves in, although they could have done a much better job at making this match feel big time in the first place. It's too late now, though. 

Just now, Gay as FOOK said:

Can't blame them for riding the wave for a few weeks, but a turn's gotta come and it's going to be great. 

I'm not sure that it does, at least initially. There are loads of exciting feuds that Punk can have as a babyface - Punk/Omega, Punk/MJF, Punk/Black, Punk/Miro, Punk and a partner vs. The Bucks...heck, even Punk/Moxley might be better if Punk remains face, I think that's a feud that could work better with both men being in somewhat of a grey area. 

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Also Wardlow and Hager seemed to be building up to a third match but now both have vanished from TV. I get the benefits of rotating talent on and off TV to keep things fresh but often it leads to momentum being lost and stories being dropped. It's frustrating. 

I totally agree. It's disappointing that people like Guevarra, Wardlow and even Hager (who has been a surprisingly strong addition to the AEW roster) are off TV, while the likes of QT Marshall, HFO and The Gunn Club are being heavily featured. And while Christian is challenging for the AEW World title. Omega/Guevarra would be a cracking PPV match, and would do wonders for Sammy.