The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Screenshot_20210815-213701_Twitter.jpg

For a company that usual gets the small things right that's a massive swing and a miss. Why didn't they just get Jericho or Schivone to tweet it and retweet it from the corporate account. 

• Paid Members

People moan when stuff is subtle and then moan when they make it obvious. I'd ask if fans even know what they want anymore but it's been obvious for years we really don't. 

It hasn't ruined it. It was going to happen anyway. MJF will have more to complain about. So what? AEW, the company, are the babyfaces. That's an alien concept after decades of WWE heeling themselves and WCW making themselves inconsequential compared to their own invading faction but that's how it should be.

10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

People moan when stuff is subtle and then moan when they make it obvious. I'd ask if fans even know what they want anymore but it's been obvious for years we really don't. 

I don't think liking some parts and not liking others is really down to not knowing what we want. Even AEW get stuff right and stuff wrong. And at least people are invested enough in the product to give a shit, even with the minute details. As long as AEW keeps the scales tipped towards the good side of things then I guess that's all that matters really.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Vamp said:

"Great finisher, Kenny can't wait to kick out of it." Again, another behind the scenes reference, but fuck off. If you're trying to be halfway serious with rankings and wins and losses matter then you can't also have your top heel wanting to get hit by a finisher. It makes even less sense when Kenny's got the more protected finisher.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Callis going 'my guy is so good, he can kick out of your best shot'. Don't think that's a 'behind the scenes reference' in the slightest.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It hasn't ruined it. It was going to happen anyway. MJF will have more to complain about. So what? AEW, the company, are the babyfaces. That's an alien concept after decades of WWE heeling themselves and WCW making themselves inconsequential compared to their own invading faction but that's how it should be.

The answer is somewhere in the middle.

Are things not allowed to be criticised? If this was done by WWE (such as the Fandango thing), it would rightly be slated, just because it is AEW, doesn't give it a pass. AEW have shown they are fantastic at subtleties and since MJF said theme music was banned, everyone has been saying how the crowd will sing it anyway, so why the need to hammer the point home in the tweet? 

I think they’ve foreseen that they want the crowd to singalong, but have realised that they only seem to properly join in once they get to the chorus. Rather than have everyone mumbling the verse, this at least gives them a shot of getting everyone up to speed. 
It probably would’ve worked better had Jericho tweeted it himself (he may well have done for all I know), but no-ones going to care after Wednesday

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Callis going 'my guy is so good, he can kick out of your best shot'. Don't think that's a 'behind the scenes reference' in the slightest.

I think it insofar as I believe "nice finish, [I] can't wait to kick out of it" is a direct quote of something Hall (or Nash?) allegedly said to someone the first time they met them after (re)joining WCW, and I assume that was being deliberately referenced.

Edit: oh yeah, Merzbow's got it. Was Hall talking about 3D when they got back to WWF.

Edited by Statto
#MerzbowWasRight

31 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's 100% a behind the scenes reference, he's paraphrasing what Scott Hall allegedly said to one of the Dudley's backstage.

Just now, Merzbow said:

It's 100% a behind the scenes reference, he's paraphrasing what Scott Hall allegedly said to one of the Dudley's backstage.

I think the point is that it's both a reference and also makes sense in context. Geeks like us will get the reference but everyone else just takes it at face value. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

7 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think the point is that it's both a reference and also makes sense in context. Geeks like us will get the reference but everyone else just takes it at face value. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

I had zero issue with it. It fits with Don's character.