The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

That's not it for me. I'd buy the character if he was just speaking broken English or even just Spanish with subtitles. It's having Chavo cut him off after a couple of words 

Chavo cutting him off is a way of hiding the fact that his English promos are terrible, but it does come off super clunky 

Edited by Egg Shen

Punk vs Omega at the PPV is a terrible idea. You either beat Punk in his first match or the WWE guy that hasn’t wrestled in 8 years beats your world champion in his first match. Both are ridiculous. There’s no reason to do it.

I think Christian wins the Impact title on rampage to make it seem like he’s got Kennys number before Kenny beats him at the PPV. It gets the Impact title off Kenny so he doesn’t have to lose it to an Impact geek and makes the PPV match more intriguing in theory.

Punk can still wrestle Darby in the semi of the PPV and Kenny and Christian can main event. AEW fans won’t fall asleep just because Punk isn’t the main event. They’ll still react to the world title match last. They want the show to succeed. It’s not a fight like it is with WWE and it’s fans.

6 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

I think Christian wins the Impact title on rampage to make it seem like he’s got Kennys number before Kenny beats him at the PPV. It gets the Impact title off Kenny so he doesn’t have to lose it to an Impact geek and makes the PPV match more intriguing in theory.

I understand the logic but even that scenario doesn't make Christian a legit contender for me. I just don't buy it. I know they'll work well together but yeah, I just don't think there's anything they can do to convince me that he'll go over. It's a tough sell.

Having two of the same match in such a short space of time doesn't feel like something they'd actually go with. I guess we'll see.

• Paid Members

I usually watch Dynamite the next morning through "other" means, but I saw Rampage was added to the AEW PLUS gimmick on FITE TV, and £5 a month for those two shows seems like a good deal.

Thank fuck I got a free trial first, because after the opening (excellent) 6-man tag, the app kept crashing every 90 seconds. Sometimes it would freeze and go back to the start, other times it would freeze and I would have to restart the stream myself. This is both through the app on Samsung TV and casting through the Android app. Really disappointing and frustrating. Anyone else have any issues with AEW on FITE?

Edited by Accident Prone

18 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Punk vs Omega at the PPV is a terrible idea. You either beat Punk in his first match or the WWE guy that hasn’t wrestled in 8 years beats your world champion in his first match. Both are ridiculous. There’s no reason to do it.

Punk can still wrestle Darby in the semi of the PPV and Kenny and Christian can main event. AEW fans won’t fall asleep just because Punk isn’t the main event. They’ll still react to the world title match last. They want the show to succeed. It’s not a fight like it is with WWE and it’s fans.

Yeah I could see that happening, although surely they would want to keep the Impact title on him until Bound for Glory at least?

Disagree with the last paragraph though, if Omega/Christian is directly following a Punk match i think it will be met with mostly silence.

5 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I'm not sure how the ranking system fully works, but would Omega beating Christian on Rampage remove Christian from the number 1 spot? Rendering his shot at All Out null and void?

I imagine there way around it will be that this was for the "Impact World Title" so would be void against any AEW rankings should Christian lose.

• Paid Members

I also assume that they're writing their way out of Christian/Omega at All Out, though I'm not sure how. Maybe a worked injury to Christian in the Rampage match? 

There's no way Omega is facing CM Punk at the PPV, though. It would undermine the whole ranking system to have someone walk straight into a title shot, and I don't think they'll do that, and the booking is a no-win situation. CM Punk's first appearance and first match are huge potential draws in their own right, and Punk vs. Omega can be a big draw later down the line, it would be a terrible move to burn through all of that at once.

That they've pulled the trigger on having Paul Wight get physically involved makes me think they're bringing Shaq back in to finally do that match, too.

I highly doubt they are doing Omega/Punk this early. That's some gold build up they would be burning in the air.

It feels like there is a bit of a hangover from The Hangman defeat, a sense that this was THE time and they've sort of fluffed it. I know Omega is a great dickhead heel champion but they had the chance for a huge match on that card. I highly doubt Punk would have overshadowed it. HOPEFULLY they know what they are doing.

• Paid Members

They have the sort of problem you want as a wrestling booker, in that they have a hot babyface everyone wants to see dethrone the champion but also a heel champion whose reign people don't want to see end yet, and two (or more?) huge stars coming in at a top level, and a ton of young talent that everyone wants to see work their way up to the top, all while they have four big shows coming up (Rampage, First Dance, All Out, Grand Slam) and their regular show just keeps building momentum.

As much as I wanted to see Hangman get the win at All Out, I think his story can survive another month to let him win the belt at Grand Slam in front of a huge audience. I don't know how well it could be sustained beyond that, if that's the direction, though.

Someone mentioned Midnight Rider, that might be the only way I'd like to see them continue things if Page doesn't win again - have him do a Loser Leaves Town deal and come back under a mask to make Omega's life hell.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I also assume that they're writing their way out of Christian/Omega at All Out, though I'm not sure how. Maybe a worked injury to Christian in the Rampage match? 

That was my first thought tbh.

The Omega/Impact storyline has apparently been written out months in advance, so I can't see Omega dropping the title to anyone else other than so called 'geeks' such as Josh Alexander or Moose.

They've dropped some hints at an upcoming Alexander/Omega feud already, who's the X Division champion.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

whats to say the match on Rampage doesn't get interrupted after a few minutes, its a no contest/DQ and then have the full match at the PPV?

thats was how the WWF used to do it back in the day, they'd make you think you were getting the match early, then run it as an angle to build anticipation for the PPV, or doesn't that happen anymore? everything needs to be designed for maximum stars.

Edited by Egg Shen

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

whats to say the match on Rampage doesn't get nterrupted after a few minutes, its a no contest/DQ and then have the full match at the PPV?

Feels pretty cheap though. Especially if you're trying to sell your first new show. They've been pretty good at not doing shit like that.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Andrade's coolness dissipates anytime he tries to cut a promo in English, painful.

I agree, but I really liked that week when they had him speak Spanish and subtitles were used. I thought it worked well.

For me, it feels like Chavo is speaking for himself rather than for Andrade. It’s a really bad fit. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I usually watch Dynamite the next morning through "other" means, but I saw Rampage was added to the AEW PLUS gimmick on FITE TV, and £5 a month for those two shows seems like a good deal.

Thank fuck I got a free trial first, because after the opening (excellent) 6-man tag, the app kept crashing every 90 seconds. Sometimes it would freeze and go back to the start, other times it would freeze and I would have to restart the stream myself. This is both through the app on Samsung TV and casting through the Android app. Really disappointing and frustrating. Anyone else have any issues with AEW on FITE?

Nope. Only issue I have ever had was streaming from my mac to an old Apple TV 3rd Gen. 4th upwards doesn't seem to have an issue. And I have used Fite for almost a year now.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Nope. Only issue I have ever had was streaming from my mac to an old Apple TV 3rd Gen. 4th upwards doesn't seem to have an issue. And I have used Fite for almost a year now.

Hmmmm. I don't have any issues with other Samsung TV apps. I'm gonna try the Chromecast on Saturday morning, and if that's fruitless then I'll write it off and go back to my frugal ways.

Again, it's a big shame as I really enjoyed that opening 6-man tag. I was fired up and let down.