The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

"Aren't you tired of being a jobber,  Alex?"

I actually enjoyed this weeks Dark Order video. Nice creative thing for the enhancements and it was hilarious watching it stoned. Still, the creepers will never not look like holiday camp shit.

The Brandi stuff is doomed. I hated the swipe at Riho. Yeah no shit, your champ has vanished. Why not do something about it? Maybe they could recruit Kris Statlander to beat Riho and run with her as their heel champ. Bring some tension between her and the group and build to a eventual split and face turn. Let her kill Kong. Maybe it's unsalvageable. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

17 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

This is my biggest fear.

Don't quite see how the gimmick will play into the actual wrestling.

I'm hoping it just doesn't end up with the generic "cult members doing run ins" schtick, someone like Lucha Underground would have done it well within their style of show.

I like the Dark Order stuff. 

When they debuted, everyone complained there wasn't enough depth to their gimmick. Now they've been away from the ring for a bit, "recruiting" through really well put together videos, firstly focusing on randoms, and now 'jobbers'. Why not? Why not recruit? It'll be a long run game, and hopefully the recruits will replace creepers instead of adding to them, but having a stable of decent wrestlers around the 2 central focus guys doesn't sound bad at all. Almost like the Ministry type thing. I'd even take the cult members doing run-ins. It'll make perfect sense. Otherwise, what are they recruiting for? It's all about the eventual success of Uno and Grayson.

My only gripe with the Brandi stuff is that it's just another cult-type group in the making. If it keeps Brandi out of the ring for a while, that's a plus, but does it have to have the cult stuff? Head shaving and whatnot? It should simply be the female equivelant to the Inner Circle, with Brandi calling the shots. 

Adam Page needed to get over more before turning heel. I've never seen him work heel before, so that'll be interesting, but he might have to change his style a little bit to make it work. My biggest issue with AEW right now is the same spots done by heels and faces. I don't want to see a heel do a dive. I want to pop when a face dives, because that's what's supposed to happen. Their agents aren't doing enough to make it all make sense.

I like the Dark Order promo videos. They're really well shot and look genuinely dark and creepy. But then they all come crawling down to the ring and it looks hokey and cringe as fuck. Just stop with the crawling and I reckon it'll look loads better. But like what was said before, hopefully the creepers get binned off and they turn it into a kind of Ministry type thing.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

Adam Page needed to get over more before turning heel. 

Obviously would have helped but it doesn't matter that much. He's lost in the shuffle a bit on the babyface side and was never really going to recover quickly from not winning the title against Jericho unless he was the one chosen to chase Jericho. 

Him turning on Omega or the Bucks after a slow burn story should reignite him. As much as Supremo is right about them assuming knowledge from the wider audience, the live crowds do know the whole Elite thing so it will get over live and should snowball. Would be good to have something like that to keep him and Omega busy for months while neither are in the title picture. 

2 hours ago, iPumaPants said:

I don't want to see a heel do a dive. I want to pop when a face dives, because that's what's supposed to happen. Their agents aren't doing enough to make it all make sense.

Yeah, hate this. Thought the Butcher and Blade looked class as the mean heel bastards hired to destroy Cody. They were doing a good job working over QT Marshall and generating heat. Then all of the sudden Blade hits a Tope Suicida!~, the crowd cheers, and any sense of heat or emotion is killed dead. Then it turned into the typical, overlong, back and forth match where everyone gets their shit in and nobody stands out. The Butcher and the Blade came out of it feeling no more of a threat than QT fucking Marshall.

Disappointing for a Cody match.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

8 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Yeah, hate this. Thought the Butcher and Blade looked class as the mean heel bastards hired to destroy Cody. They were doing a good job working over QT Marshall and generating heat. Then all of the sudden Blade hits a Tope Suicida!~, the crowd cheers, and any sense of heat or emotion is killed dead. Then it turned into the typical, overlong, back and forth match where everyone gets their shit in and nobody stands out. 

Yup. Agreed. Hate this too. Sadly, thats modern wrestling.

7 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yup. Agreed. Hate this too. Sadly, thats modern wrestling.

It's the worst thing about modern wrestling. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. Unbelievable that Malenko and Billy Gunn aren't all over this, telling people not to do 45 dives per show, or telling the heels to cut it out. Especially Malenko. You'd expect more respect for psychology from him.

The only exception, I'd say, is PAC. The Black Arrow into the submission is a great move, and his dives are one a match, or so. But he gets away with it because he looks like he should do it. Unlike the Butcher and the Blade.

• Awards Moderator
34 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

The only exception, I'd say, is PAC. The Black Arrow into the submission is a great move, and his dives are one a match, or so. But he gets away with it because he looks like he should do it. Unlike the Butcher and the Blade.

PAC is the only heel who makes his flips and dives feel heelish. There’s a sense of him ... not showing off, exactly, but demonstrating that he’s bloody athletic and you’re all twats for not considering him the best in the world. And that he’s trying to hurt his opponent with them - Black Arrow, as impressive as it is (it’s been over a decade and my brain still can’t process how he twists and flips like that), into the submission, looks painful to be on the other end of. He’s a bastard, in other words, and the best heel they have.

They’re still making a tv show for their BTE audience. That audience knows it’s fake and, in general, just want to see moves and flips. It takes a true master to keep a face/heel divide alive with an audience like that. Most of the heels (including Jericho) are still doing a lot of stuff they know they will be cheered for.