The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

6 hours ago, simonworden said:

Have to go back and re-watch but I thought he said he only had to wrestle one more time which was easy to take as defend his title but I don't think he used those words exactly. Will go back and check unless anyone can correct/ confirm it before I get a chance. 

You may be right, there’s every chance I’m misremembering. 

Edited by RedRooster

4 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

In fairness, that is basically AEW's entire gig. You can look at quite a lot of the talent there and see that they only got their jobs because because of who they are friends with. Fuck, why else would Jimmy fucking Havoc and Joey pissin' Janela be there!? 
Now of course, this is nothing new but I would hope the same criticism levied at WWE and others that have done that will be thrown AEW's way.
I have a feeling the AEW die-hards will excuse it somehow though.

An interesting article about Jericho having to tell the roster the fundamentals of tag wrestling.
In one regard it's great but in the other it's worrying just how clueless/arrogant the actual EVP's seem to be in not being the ones to address it themselves.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chis-jericho-says-he-called-team-meeting-address-tag-team-rules-aew

Jesus if you have to be told to tag in and out should you be wrestling? The lucha excuse is bullshit. You are working in a US company 

• Paid Members

I mean, Jericho is completely wrong on how lucha tag rules work in that quote. You can tag in and out in Lucha Libre, but also your partner leaving the ring counts as a tag. 

To be honest, my favourite Bucks matches have all been under that rule system - either in CHIKARA, or their trios match at this year's AAA Triplemania - and if their approach to tag team wrestling is going to be as much of a free-for-all as a lot of AEW's matches have been, they should have just committed to lucha libre rules for tag matches from the outset.

On their first PPV, they said that they were instigating a ten-count rather than a five-count for wrestlers to get out of the ring following a tag. Not only have I not seen that overtly enforced, I haven't heard them refer back to it once. I don't know if they expect us to know, or if they've gone back on that idea, or what.

I get annoyed at the likes of Cornette saying things like "a tag has to be hand-to-hand otherwise it doesn't count, so no pats on the back or tagging feet", and acting as if it's a betrayal of everything that makes wrestling work. We've had blind tags in wrestling for decades. The rules change. As a new promotion, AEW had the ability to lay out "these are our rules, this is how we do things differently to best suit our style of wrestling", but they've only really paid lip service to that idea.

30 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I mean, Jericho is completely wrong on how lucha tag rules work in that quote. You can tag in and out in Lucha Libre, but also your partner leaving the ring counts as a tag. 

Has that always been the case? Jericho was there over 25 years in his defense. 
Honestly though, the fact he is having to call a meeting to tell people in the second largest company in the US that essentially 'this aint the indies anymore kids, sort your shit out' when a] the EVP's didn't do that and b].... well I didn't need a b because the a was so great!..., is crazy and highlights just how woefully under prepared so many of the roster are for live TV and just how different TV wrestling is to live indie/Japanese wrestling.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I get annoyed at the likes of Cornette saying things like "a tag has to be hand-to-hand otherwise it doesn't count, so no pats on the back or tagging feet", and acting as if it's a betrayal of everything that makes wrestling work. We've had blind tags in wrestling for decades. The rules change. As a new promotion, AEW had the ability to lay out "these are our rules, this is how we do things differently to best suit our style of wrestling", but they've only really paid lip service to that idea.

For me, the differentiation in rules should be a godsend for any booker, because it gives you yet another option for a special attraction match. I remember when Flair challenged Austin to a "classic" wrestling match, meaning he wasn't allowed to use his fists. Just that basic stip alone made it more interesting.

Imagine they built up the Lucha Rules tag match as a gimmick, provided they were clear about the exact differences with the "traditional" house style and played them up. Reckon it would go down really well, done properly.

Edited by Carbomb

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Only 17,000 teenagers watched AEW and NXT on Wednesday night. That's a scary number, considering this is essentially supposed to be for kids. We all got into this as kids.

This is obviously completely speculative, but I’d imagine that demographic is more likely to watch the show on demand than they are to watch it on a television. Perhaps I’m wrong to feel this way, but I’m not particularly surprised or alarmed by that figure.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Is the ramp up to the ring a new thing or just for that show?

One of the guys on commentary slurping on their drinking straight down the mic during Cody's promo was fucking amatuer. As was their phone vibrating on the desk constantly during the opening 6-man tag.

WWE has commentators not slurping on their drinks during promos, and not leaving their phones vibrating on the desk. This is an alternative.

I continue to find the shows to be fine to sit through. No show ever made was completely perfect through every single minute of it, and most shows are a half or a quarter what they have to produce.  For me they are delivering something I enjoy watching, and don’t feel the need to tear apart. If I did I’d just watch something else 

• Awards Moderator

I really enjoyed the Jurassic Express/Inner Circle segment. Luchasaurus and Sammy Guevara had a great match that highlighted both their strengths, wasn’t too long, didn’t have loads of near falls and had the right result. I liked the little twist on “Inner Circle runs in for a non-finish” by them not getting there in time. The brawl afterwards was great, the crowd were really into it, and I’m looking forward a lot to the 10 Minute Challenge next week. Job done.

Oh, and Jericho was excellent on commentary, made everyone sound good. I enjoyed he and JR taking advantage of Excalibur not being there to really put over Jungle Boy as Hollywood royalty Jack Perry. That is your story, AEW, use it!

The rest of the show I could give or take, though I thought Omega looked better than he has in a while.

As much as I’m not into their style I hope the Young Bucks capitalise on the bit of steam they’ve got going and pick up the tag straps next week. Could finally be the spark the tag team division has needed to get off the ground.

I enjoyed Dynamite this week. The same problems are still there but a strong group of stars can elevate a show. Jericho, Cody, Moxley and MJF are enough to draw me in. The latter two in particular are on fire at the minute. I fucking love MJF.